Jared Goff has been one of the best pocket passers this season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Jared Goff has been one of the NFL's best pocket passers this season

There’s no question that Jared Goff has improved in just about every category this season, from overall passer rating to interception rate to touchdown percentage. He looks like a completely different player in all areas, particularly in the pocket where he’s getting better protection and is seeing the field better.

This one stat shows just how good Goff has been when inside the pocket this season, performing better than he does when rolling to the outside.

Overall, Goff has a passer rating of 98.9, which is more than 35 points higher than last year’s mark (63.6). He also has 16 touchdown passes and just four interceptions, giving him 21 and 11 for his career, respectively.

While giving him the MVP title would be a bit of a stretch right now, he’ll certainly be in the conversation as the season winds down – especially if the Rams continue to win football games and reach the postseason.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/22/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-pocket-passer-stats-2017/

My take: How's this for a Goff observation? QB's who want to play at a high level in the NFL must do so from the pocket. With only Brady, Brees, and Smith ahead of him, Goff is in very good company for such a young player. This is what will translate to a long career with lots of wins in my opinion.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the flip side Wentz is right behind him but plays better outside the pocket

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On the flip side Wentz is right behind him but plays better outside the pocket

That's okay, Goff shreds him on playaction, and has better footmovement, ball placement, and pocket presence. I think Wentz is going to be great, but he's probably at or near his ceiling based on projections... Goff still has quite a ways to go.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's okay, Goff shreds him on playaction, and has better footmovement, ball placement, and pocket presence. I think Wentz is going to be great, but he's probably at or near his ceiling based on projections... Goff still has quite a ways to go.
That’s all debatable tbh I was just trying to get y’all riled up I’m not the one for the Goff vs Wentz debate. Goff has been improving better than I thought and his play is definitely encouraging

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I’m not the one for the Goff vs Wentz debate.
So how about the Mannion vs. Wentz debate?
N5yhqEt.gif

No for reals though.

Goff is showing some outstanding instincts. That is hard to teach or even possibly learn. Not many people can be gifted in that realm. Goff still has a lot of ceiling definitely.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So how about the Mannion vs. Wentz debate?
N5yhqEt.gif

No for reals though.

Goff is showing some outstanding instincts. That is hard to teach or even possibly learn. Not many people can be gifted in that realm. Goff still has a lot of ceiling definitely.
Lol you know I’m down for that.
Goff has shown some outstanding instincts the line has done a good job of protecting him but with these next rounds of games those instincts are going to have to be sharpen. What I’m more impressed with is his ability in the pocket that’s where his improvements has come from

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s all debatable tbh I was just trying to get y’all riled up I’m not the one for the Goff vs Wentz debate. Goff has been improving better than I thought and his play is definitely encouraging

I figured your intentions, no harm. I don't think footwork, and playaction is debatable. Stats show play action and footwork is pretty obvious. Goff's footwork has always been a huge strength. Same with his pocket presence, Wentz can bail from the pocket before he needs to, and while he can usually make it work, that doesn't typically translate to longevity. Some QB's will make it work longer than others (Wilson is a great example of this), most wont. Ball placement is more subjective, but I think Goff has thrown some better balls, evident by the fact our receivers have a lot more YAC yards than the Eagles. Goff is giving them balls in positions they can make plays after the catch as well.

Again, I think both are going to be great, I think Goff fits what we're doing right now better, so I'm happy we have him. Wentz is a great QB for a different system.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I figured your intentions, no harm. I don't think footwork, and playaction is debatable. Stats show play action and footwork is pretty obvious. Goff's footwork has always been a huge strength. Same with his pocket presence, Wentz can bail from the pocket before he needs to, and while he can usually make it work, that doesn't typically translate to longevity. Some QB's will make it work longer than others (Wilson is a great example of this), most wont. Ball placement is more subjective, but I think Goff has thrown some better balls, evident by the fact our receivers have a lot more YAC yards than the Eagles. Goff is giving them balls in positions they can make plays after the catch as well.

Again, I think both are going to be great, I think Goff fits what we're doing right now better, so I'm happy we have him. Wentz is a great QB for a different system.

I’m definitely pleasantly surprised with Goff I never thought he would improve this much so quickly. I love the pocket passer QBs I definitely think they have a better chance of having prolonged success and Goff is starting to act and think like a pocket passer.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I was one of the toughest people on Goff last season here, I wasn't a fan, and he didn't really show us a lot either.

But this year is different, and I will admit I was wrong.

However, it sure is funny what happens when you give a guy real receivers to throw to, good pass protection, and a legitimate NFL offense to play in. None of which we have had for over 10 years.