Jared Goff: Contract extension 'not on my mind at all'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...goff-contract-extension-not-on-my-mind-at-all

Jared Goff: Contract extension 'not on my mind at all'

Entering the final year of his rookie deal, former first-overall pick Jared Goff is in line for a mega-extension sometime in the next 23 months.

Despite the recent record-breaking deal handed out to division rival signal-caller Russell Wilson, the Los Angeles Rams quarterback said this week that he is not thinking about his contract situation as offseason workouts commence.

"Not on my mind at all," Goff told reporters, per the Los Angeles Times. "I know the deal and understand that I hired an agent for that reason, and things always work out. You continue to play well, it will work itself out."

Goff is among a quartet of young signal-callers who could earn big money over the next two seasons. Dak Prescott's contract expires after the 2019 season. So does Carson Wentz's, though Philly should exercise his fifth-year option. Patrick Mahomes is rumored to become the first $200 million quarterback when his deal is negotiated.

Los Angeles is expected to exercise Goff's fifth-year option before it offers any extension to the fourth-year quarterback. Under that option, Goff would make over $20 million guaranteed for injury in 2020, a steep raise from $4.3 million in 2019, per Spotrac. The deadline to place the option on Goff is May 3.

When Goff gets his extension, it will be the latest in a slew of large contracts handed out by Los Angeles over the past nine months. Aaron Donald (six years, $135M in August), Brandin Cooks (five years, $81M in July) and Todd Gurley(four years, $60M in July) all cashed in before the Rams' NFC title season. Next up are Goff and cornerback Marcus Peters.

There is no apparent timeline for an extension, however. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported in late March that it is unlikely the team will extend Goff before the start of the season.

As Rams coach Sean McVay put it at last month's Annual League Meeting, "Whether it happens this year, next year, those are things we haven't really gotten into in depth about yet."

On the forefront of Goff and the Rams' minds is bouncing back from last year's disappointing finish. Securing their franchise quarterback for the foreseeable future can wait.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

like most young males the only thing jared is thinking about is his hot girlfriend.

51635750_955000794698148_7059885185363056811_n.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
This is going to be a very difficult decision for Philadelphia.

His injury risk it's such a huge deal giving him a massive contract in my opinion could be a big mistake.
IMO, drafting Wentz at #2 was a big mistake, yeah hes talented but he has never shown any durability. And his 5th yr option is going to be a lot of $ for a part time starter.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Goff's response is exactly what I expected..and that is why he is going to be a franchise QB. a Peyton Manning who actually wins the big games, without the fake ego and blaming others.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
With a 5th year option worth $22M, he should be able to make ends meet for another year

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/jared-...ntial-contract-extension-as-2019-training-cam

Jared Goff not concerned about potential contract extension as 2019 training camp begins

Carson Wentz got his from the Eagles. The latest reporting has Dak Prescott likely getting his from the Cowboys at some point during training camp.

So what about Rams quarterback Jared Goff and a contract extension? If it seems inevitable, that’s because it probably is. But at the same time, Goff hasn’t missed a start due to injury since taking over as Los Angeles’ starter midway through the 2016 season. And because he was a first-round pick — unlike Prescott — he’s not heading into the final year on his contract.

That decreases the sense of urgency to get something done right now. And regardless, there is still that sense of inevitability.

Asked if there’s been any movement toward a potential extension since the end of the offseason program, Goff said simply, “Nothing’s changed. Just the same spot.”

And how does he feel about it?

“Time will take care of it. Just go out and play.”

Those simple four sentences encapsulate Goff and the way he approaches each day. Sean McVay often says that Goff’s even-keel demeanor is a good foil for the head coach’s excitability.

But when it comes to this season, Goff — who will turn 25 in October — will likely be counted on more than he has in the past. He’s entering his fourth season, which is often when quarterbacks solidify themselves as high-quality starters. And he’s going to be playing behind a line with two new starters.

“I feel like I’m getting old. Fourth year – it seems like it’s flown by,” Goff joked on Wednesday. “But yeah, excited for it. Excited to get back with a similar group of guys and get back to work.”

Goff mentioned it and despite the new OL starters it’s true — the Rams will return nine of 11 starters on offense from last year, plus a few key role players. Of the players expected to contribute early on in the season at running back, wide receiver, and tight end, only RB Darrell Henderson was not on the roster in 2018.

“It’s huge, especially with myself and the receivers, running backs and tight ends,” Goff said of the continuity. "Just having that continued chemistry and everything we’ve been working on, not only in the last couple of years, but this offseason off the field, just getting together as much as possible and feeling good. When you can have that similar group coming back, it’s good.”

When last season ended, Goff was one of many Rams who said part of the difficulty in processing it was that there wasn’t a chance to get back on the field and immediately make corrections. Now with the beginning of camp, that’s going to change. And Goff is ready to begin that process, taking everything day by day as the club has done so well under McVay.

“Yeah, it’s good. I think just continuing to move in the right direction and move forward — we feel good about who we have and where we are at,” Goff said. “I’m sure Sean feels the same way and we’re excited to get going.”

“I think every year is different, every team is different, but we know we have a good group and a chance to do good things. But, it starts one day at a time and it will start, I believe our first day is in two days with everyone, and that’s when it will truly start.”