Janoris Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

View: https://twitter.com/pff/status/565184524766953472

According to PFF, he missed a tackle every 4.7 attempts making him fourth worst in the league in terms of 'tackling efficiency.'

The article the above tweet links to also refers to him leading the league in missed tackles twice in his three years in the league.

I know tackling is only a part of a cornerback's game but it's clear where he needs to improve. He does have a propensity to go for the hit rather than actually tackling someone.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not surprising, he drops is head and acts as if he wants no part of hitting someone most of the time. Clearly to me a position that can be improved either by him or replacing him it needs to be fixed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't find those facts surprising. Jenkins will be a free agent next year and his tackling mishaps are a shortcoming that should limit his value to the team. He closes on the WR screens only to whiff far to frequently. The Rams will have two of their top CBs coming up for second contracts.

This is probably why they took Joyner in round 2. He and Gaines could possibly be the starters in 2017. More likely though they resign one of Jenkins or Johnson, but not both, and CB will be one of the top needs in the 2016 offseasons.

2015 will be an audition of sorts for Tru, JJ, and even Joyner, to prove that the team has the answer at CB longterm. My guess is JJ hits free agency and is offered more than the Rams are willing to pay.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not too thrilled with Jenoris.

I just don't think he's a very smart person (sorry, Jenoris).

And, as Ron White says... "you can't fix stupid".

My guess is he'll continue to make mental errors.... and eventually will be upgraded when the opportunity presents itself.

Just my guess.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Larry fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, Cordarrele Patterson, Dez Bryant, Demarco Murray, just some of the names of guys he has had to tackle. I haven't seen one time where he missed a tackle and it resulted in a touchdown. That Vikings Game he single Handedly kept AP from gashing the Rams. I know a lot of Rams fans don't like Jenkins but stats don't tell the whole story doesn't take into account if he was providing support or if it was his guy, he game this year I saw him make 4-5 big time tackles.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think Jenkins is about the most under appreciated player on the team. Let me ask this - does PFF call it a missed tackle if you allow yourself to be blocked right out of the play? Do they call it a missed a tackle if you don't make an effort to go get to the ball?

Sure, its noticeable when he gets beat for a big TD - and everyone wants to act like its completely on him when he does - but its often hard to tell where the fault really lies on plays like that. Corners use their safeties as much as they use the sidelines - the miscommunications could be on JJ or they could be on the safety (or both, or the coaches).

One thing that should be clear - all of this blitzing we do - all of the moving the safeties up into the box - you can't do that stuff if you aren't willing to put your corners on islands. The guy didn't become a pro bowl alternate because he isn't good.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Larry fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, Cordarrele Patterson, Dez Bryant, Demarco Murray, just some of the names of guys he has had to tackle. I haven't seen one time where he missed a tackle and it resulted in a touchdown. That Vikings Game he single Handedly kept AP from gashing the Rams. I know a lot of Rams fans don't like Jenkins but stats don't tell the whole story doesn't take into account if he was providing support or if it was his guy, he game this year I saw him make 4-5 big time tackles.
^^^^This!

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think Jenkins is about the most under appreciated player on the team. Let me ask this - does PFF call it a missed tackle if you allow yourself to be blocked right out of the play? Do they call it a missed a tackle if you don't make an effort to go get to the ball?

Sure, its noticeable when he gets beat for a big TD - and everyone wants to act like its completely on him when he does - but its often hard to tell where the fault really lies on plays like that. Corners use their safeties as much as they use the sidelines - the miscommunications could be on JJ or they could be on the safety (or both, or the coaches).

One thing that should be clear - all of this blitzing we do - all of the moving the safeties up into the box - you can't do that stuff if you aren't willing to put your corners on islands. The guy didn't become a pro bowl alternate because he isn't good.
^^^and this, both make a lot of sense! JJ is not the problem in our secondary and I'm pretty sure The Fish & Snead are aware of that and will do what is necessary to keep him around after his first contract.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can live with our corner being a poor tackler if he's a shutdown guy. Still believe Jenkins is a true shutdown corner just needs to gamble a little less

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Agree 100%. Janoris is a terrific corner. I think he could definitely improve, but people don't realize how good he is. Maybe it's because he's a little more unconventional

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree 100%. Janoris is a terrific corner. I think he could definitely improve, but people don't realize how good he is. Maybe it's because he's a little more unconventional
And he clearly has fantastic fashion sense as seen in your avatar...that can't be understated when evaluating an NFL corner

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Let me ask this - does PFF call it a missed tackle if you allow yourself to be blocked right out of the play? Do they call it a missed a tackle if you don't make an effort to go get to the ball?
You dare question PFF's top graders?
top-men-working-on-it-top-men-indiana-jones-lost-ark-ending-1370708259x.gif

Another view of tackles is at Advanced Football Analytics: http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/defensive-players/cornerbacks

JJ is 13th overall in Tackle Factor -- which suggests he makes more tackles than would be expected out of your typical CB. This could be because the Rams pass defense is bad and allows more opportunities for JJ to make a tackle, or it could suggest that even though he might miss a lot of tackles, he's getting himself in position to have hell of a lot more opportunities to make a tackle than your typical CB.

I agree there's a lot more to evaluating tackling ability than the PFF limited view of just trying to count missed tackles -- but even so I think it is clear he needs to improve his tackling. Would love to read a story about how he's committing his offseason to fundamentals -- like tackling technique and not biting on the double move, etc.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think JJ is as bad as some make him out to be. But he isn't as good as some think either. If our young guys continue to develop, losing him won't be a tragedy. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up some more picks at CB this draft.

Plus, he can take that comment about moving the team unless he can play in a dome and shove it right back up the orifice it came out of.

Did I say that out loud? :whistle:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't think JJ is as bad as some make him out to be. But he isn't as good as some think either.
This seems like a statement that would apply to every football player ever. ;)

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Agree with DX and 12ITB - Jenkins ain't that big, and if he misses a tackle, he usually slows them up enough for someone else to finish off.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This seems like a statement that would apply to every football player ever. ;)

True but JJ seems to attract exaggeration more that others. I've been guilty of it myself throughout last season.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
His play reminds me a lot of Deon Sanders. I don't think he will ever be a great tackler.