Jalen Ramsey will attend camp without extension:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Jalen Ramsey will attend camp without extension: 'It'll get handled'

The Los Angeles Rams knew when they traded for Jalen Ramsey last season, he’d only be under contract through 2020. He’s now entering the fifth and final year of his rookie deal, which will pay him $13.7 million for the upcoming season before he becomes a free agent.

Ramsey has made it clear he wants to be paid handsomely after making several statements during his time with the Jaguars, but the Rams have yet to back up the Brinks truck for the All-Pro cornerback. That won’t prevent Ramsey from showing up to training camp whenever it takes place, though.

On a conference call with reporters Tuesday, Ramsey said he won’t hold out this summer if he doesn’t get an extension beforehand.

Ramsey reportedly told the Rams last year that he wouldn’t hold out in 2020, but all bets are off next offseason if the Rams use the franchise tag on him. In all likelihood, he would hold out in 2021 if tagged, given the lack of long-term security that comes with the franchise tender.

Considering the way he’s played since being drafted by the Jaguars, Ramsey deserves to be one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the NFL – if not the top-paid guy. He says the Rams know where he stands in these contract negotiations, and that “everybody knew what type of situation it was going to be” when they traded for him.

In other words, the Rams should’ve known his price tag at the time of the deal, and he’s probably not budging on it.

The Rams gave up two first-round picks to acquire Ramsey, and letting him leave after just a season and a half would be a massive mistake. Sure, they would receive a compensatory pick in return, but it wouldn’t be any earlier than the third round.

Getting Ramsey signed has to be one of the top priorities of the offseason for Los Angeles, otherwise this situation could get messy next year. By not extending him when the trade happened, Ramsey’s price tag went up with Byron Jones getting $16.5 million per year from the Dolphins.

That’s the floor for Ramsey’s next contract, with the ceiling likely north of $20 million per season.

View: https://twitter.com/StuJRams/status/1265332098904162304

View: https://twitter.com/gregbeacham/status/1265329562193297408

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Them being on the same page is really good to hear. This has to get done. (y)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Man, it's a lot to ask him to play on a fifth-year option. I'm assuming we're waiting for all our dead cap money to clear before we can ink a long term deal. I don't think there's any question that he will need to be the highest-paid CB in the league.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I always thought it was a HUGE GAMBLE when the Rams made the trade for Ramsey without having an Extension already in place! And, If the Rams can sign Ramsey to an Extension I think they won the Gamble but IF they can’t get him to agree to an Extension I definitely think they lost that Gamble (TWO 1st Round Picks was a Very STEEP Price to pay for a 2 Year Rental!)! But, I know sometimes you have to Gamble and I really think the Rams thought he might be that ONE Player they needed to help them to Return and WIN the Super Bowl last Season! Only Time will Tell!!!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Man, it's a lot to ask him to play on a fifth-year option. I'm assuming we're waiting for all our dead cap money to clear before we can ink a long term deal. I don't think there's any question that he will need to be the highest-paid CB in the league.
I strongly suspect that the Rams are waiting to clear cap space and both sides are waiting to see what his market value is. Ramsay will command a high market value and the Rams will pay it.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If you give out the big contracts I like to see them at QB, DT, and CB. Ramsey will be Ram for a long time, it appears to be his destiny. His name even has the word Ram in it, what more proof do you need.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But, I know sometimes you have to Gamble and I really think the Rams thought he might be that ONE Player they needed to help them to Return and WIN the Super Bowl last Season! Only Time will Tell!!!

IMO, once the trade was made the intention was to sign him long term, they did that with Brandon Cooks, but now I believe this regime is recognizing what positions to prioritize as @Ramstien so eloquently communicated.

I like the fact that new DC Brandon Staley has been working with Ramsey and it's crucial in this defense to have one elite player on all three levels of the defense, so they have Donald & Ramsey, let's hope Terrell Lewis can stay healthy and be that elite pass rusher.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really think this new DC's scheme was built with a Ramsey like superstar fully in mind! JR can play all the DB positions ever conceived in the NFL. Ramsey is sure to relish the opportunity to command this secondary with him as the face of it.

With a new Nickle DB Burgess just drafted & corners Hill/Long/Williams ready to start on the outsides along with two premier young safeties like Johnson & Rapp this is going to be one serious amount of fun to watch.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jalen Ramsey hints at new roles on defense, says he won't just be a CB

Cameron DaSilva

Jalen Ramsey played both cornerback and safety in college at Florida State, but he’s only played the former in the NFL. It’s easy to see why, given his already impressive resume at cornerback as a pro, but his role might expand in 2020.

After defensive coordinator Brandon Staley hinted at Ramsey being able to play all over the secondary – including at safety – the fifth-year player echoed those sentiments Tuesday on a conference call with reporters.

Ramsey was beaming with excitement over his role in Staley’s defense, though he didn’t want to give too much away.

Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Good to hear he is excited, even better to hear he will be in camp to be part of this new D install. He simply has to be resigned as many of you fine fellows have noted! RAMsey

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jalen Ramsey hints at new roles on defense, says he won't just be a CB

Cameron DaSilva

Jalen Ramsey played both cornerback and safety in college at Florida State, but he’s only played the former in the NFL. It’s easy to see why, given his already impressive resume at cornerback as a pro, but his role might expand in 2020.

After defensive coordinator Brandon Staley hinted at Ramsey being able to play all over the secondary – including at safety – the fifth-year player echoed those sentiments Tuesday on a conference call with reporters.

Ramsey was beaming with excitement over his role in Staley’s defense, though he didn’t want to give too much away.

Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]
Oh so now he's going to be a safety too. Or a nickelbacker. Or a new position heretofore never considered. Put a cape on this guy already.

tenor.gif

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I have zero concerns about this. Zero. He’ll eventually be signed when the timing is right for both parties just like AD. Much ado about nothing.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Ramsey Liked a picture of himself in a Redskins uniform... Just last week...

My only concern.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramsey Liked a picture of himself in a Redskins uniform... Just last week...

My only concern.
Mentioned this on another board this am... Basically I have come to the conclusion this guy is a high maintenance player. I don't know that he'll ever be happy. And I don't know that I'd want to pay this dude.

My take before was that he's so competitive that paying him was probably safe (and we gave up so much for him it's basically a requirement at this point). I didn't think he'll put his feet up like some guys when they get big security. But honestly the guy continues to give me a bad vibe. And yeah I know I'm going against the grain here on this it is what it is.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Mentioned this on another board this am... Basically I have come to the conclusion this guy is a high maintenance player. I don't know that he'll ever be happy. And I don't know that I'd want to pay this dude.

My take before was that he's so competitive that paying him was probably safe (and we gave up so much for him it's basically a requirement at this point). I didn't think he'll put his feet up like some guys when they get big security. But honestly the guy continues to give me a bad vibe. And yeah I know I'm going against the grain here on this it is what it is.

To be honest I never really liked him because of his big mouth and how much a diva he is. Unfortunately we are stuck now with what we gave up for him. At least on the field he's one of the best if not the best cover corner in the NFL. Hope we don't regret trading fof him and he becomes a team leader.