Jake Long - Sebastian Vollmer - Phil Loadholt?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Can anyone give any opinions/comparisons on FA OT's Long, Vollmer and Loadholt? I am guessing Long is the best of the three but considering health and salaries do you think the Rams might consider Vollmer and/or Loadholt (wasn't he a teammate of Bradford's at Oklahoma?)?

Lesson

Oh, really?
Would love Loadholt over the other two. Long is good, but his injury history scares me. Vollmer is good as well, but I don't know much about him.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
paceram said:
Can anyone give any opinions/comparisons on FA OT's Long, Vollmer and Loadholt? I am guessing Long is the best of the three but considering health and salaries do you think the Rams might consider Vollmer and/or Loadholt (wasn't he a teammate of Bradford's at Oklahoma?)?

Our cap issues over the years are due to being unable to draft well and having to throw money at FAs. I'd like to shore up LG and RT in the draft & have them compete with Rok and Barksdale

Lesson

Oh, really?
rams24/7 said:
paceram said:

Our cap issues over the years are due to being unable to draft well and having to throw money at FAs. I'd like to shore up LG and RT in the draft & have them compete with Rok and Barksdale

I wouldn't say those are the reasons.

The Rams had been picking pretty high prior to the rookie cap being in place, thus leading to big contracts for rookies in the higher rounds(Saffold, Bradford, Laurinaitis, Long, etc.).

The current regime inherited those contracts, plus Jackson's, Mikell's, Dahl's, Smith's, etc.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Volmer-Loadholt-Long. In that order for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
paceram said:

I forgot about Eric Winston (I just read where someone mentioned him on another message). Where would you rank him with the other three OT's?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
PressureD41 said:
Volmer-Loadholt-Long. In that order for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id take Long last too, given the type of contract he is asking for.

Winston thrives in a zone blocking schemes

Volmer is a solid, unspectacular, underrated RT. Loadholt is just a run mauling RT that has underrated pass blocking skills. Loadholt will be more expensive, but Id prefer him over Volmer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When healthy; Jake Long is a stud.

I tend to lean Loadholt at RT because he's been healthy and should be more financially palatable... and not require Saffold to move.

But if we land Long; I'm not complaining. Long and Saffold are two legit tackles... add in Dahl and Wells... and we are one spot (LG) away from a fortress.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

I tend to lean Loadholt at RT because he's been healthy and should be more financially palatable... and not require Saffold to move.

But if we land Long; I'm not complaining. Long and Saffold are two legit tackles... add in Dahl and Wells... and we are one spot (LG) away from a fortress.

. . . and if the Rok steps up to the LG plate we are all set!

duckhunter

Starter
Concerning Vollmer, for the last 2 maybe 3 years he has had more severe back problems than Saffold. I don't know the extent and have trouble spelling vertebrae. I always get squeemish when we start considering players with back problems. There are a ton of examples how that often doesn't work for OLinemen. That's why Snisher have the experience, protocol procedures and get paid the big bucks to distinguish who is worth/not worth the risk. Even then it doesn't always work. Ask MM.

I just don't think one can discount back problems or assess them very easily. As an example, I have a brother-in-law on his 11th back surgery. Unless I personally experience the same injury/illness, I have no friggin idea how it may turn out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I 'll pass on all these high priced luxuries. Building a foundation for the future does not take place with some partially used up worn war horses. Fisher has cleared the board of three of the top six 2012 Ram Ol'ers in Richardson-Turner & Hunter. Fresh new talented young OL'ers ...that's the way to go. Stay out of debt.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

. . . and if the Rok steps up to the LG plate we are all set!

Man, think about the training camp battle for the LG gig lol...wow-weee Slobber knocker!!!!

Love the fortress comment > if Sneads builds it, then it will come... CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I believe that if we do sign Jake Long, Sam Bradford's game will be elevated greatly. We all saw what he did behind a phenomenal line at OU, if we could give him that kind of protection at the pro level, Sam can be one of those qb's that makes his receivers look like studs, even if they're not. :bign:

nighttrain

Legend
Rather have Loadholt and Cook, i think we can afford both in FA, they both help SB and the offense
train

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I would actually love to put Saffold at RT, and draft a LT. Having a HoF LT's for atleast 2 and 1/2 decades with Jackie Slater, & Orlando Pace he doesn't seem like one. To me he's more suitable for RT.

jap

Legend
Ram_Fan said:
I would actually love to put Saffold at RT, and draft a LT. Having a HoF LT's for atleast 2 and 1/2 decades with Jackie Slater, & Orlando Pace he doesn't seem like one. To me he's more suitable for RT.

Jackie Slater played RT.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
jap said:
Ram_Fan said:

Jackie Slater played RT.

Bleh well that shot down my JS...I seriously thought he played LT when I was growing up..:p