Jake Long Injury Question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Can someone tell me if he can be released even though he is injured? I know normally someone would be waived, and if they clear waivers end up being placed back on the IR. But that is obviously for the season and doesn't pertain to the offseason. Does Jake Long have any kind of protection since he was injured in game? I have tried sifting through the CBA and looking for other sources but I can't seem to find anything for this situation (which I feel happens often). I see the CBA outlining protection for the rest of the league year in which he is injured. Is that perhaps why he hasn't been released yet, since maybe he can't be released until the new league year begins?

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't think he will be released. Guess he probably will be Manning the LG spot. They are probably working on restructuring his contract

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think he will be released. Guess he probably will be Manning the LG spot. They are probably working on restructuring his contract
I was think that removing Rodger Saffold from his starting OLG post & inserting Jake Long sure would make that OLG post much weaker. I was hoping we would move to strengthen our OL not weaken it. I have no ideal how the over 6-7 prototype OLT 320 pound Jake Long will deal with those 340/350 pound NT's? When his entire NFL life Jake is use to playing up against those quick 250 pound to 270 pound RDE's

Last edited:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I was think that removing Rodger Saffold from his starting OLG post & inserting Jake Long sure would make that OLG post much weaker. I was hoping we would move to strengthen our OL not weaken it. I have no ideal how the over 6-7 prototype OLT 320 pound Jake Long will deal with those 340/350 pound NT's? When his entire NFL life Jake is use to playing up against those quick 250 pound to 270 pound RDE's
Yes, moving his long (size not name) inside probably wouldnt work so good. RT maybe? Not sure if that works either or if it's an upgrade over other options.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Think after a settlement negotiation, they release them...could be wrong, but I'm sure his contract had some provisions about injuries and what could happen...

A55VA6

Legend
Yes, moving his long (size not name) inside probably wouldnt work so good. RT maybe? Not sure if that works either or if it's an upgrade over other options.
He played RT at a good level in Miami, but I don't think he's quite the same guy he used to be.

Looking at the OL, we know Robinson is the LT and we assume Saffold will be at one of the guard spots, but all the other spots on the line are a question mark. I can't wait for all of this to be solved in FA and the draft.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Can you imagine the shit's creek we'd be up without the proverbial paddle had we not selected GR last year? And what if Saffold hadnt flunked Raider's physical? Good thing we did and he did but in hindsight we should have maybe double dipped at OL last draft as well.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't know much, but I believe you can release them once they're far enough ahead in their rehab. Might be completely wrong though, I remember that from somewhere.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Our running game would suffer with him playing at guard. If they did keep him, which I really hope they don't, I would hope that they play him at tackle.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

I think they prefer Saffold at the ORG spot, but because Davin Joseph is ONLY an ORG, they had to slot Rodger into the OLG spot.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He played RT at a good level in Miami, but I don't think he's quite the same guy he used to be.

Looking at the OL, we know Robinson is the LT and we assume Saffold will be at one of the guard spots, but all the other spots on the line are a question mark. I can't wait for all of this to be solved in FA and the draft.

If Barksdale stays, he is at RT, but it's apparently looking like he might want a big payday...I didn't think he was that terrific to justify that...Reasonable #s make him a priority, huge #s not so much IMO...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Saffold is better at RG. JMO

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Our running game would suffer with him playing at guard. If they did keep him, which I really hope they don't, I would hope that they play him at tackle.
I agree this is the position best for Jake Long to attempt to save his once bright but now burnt down NFL career. This is the position the Rams will have big issues trying to fill in UFA'cy.
I think they prefer Saffold at the ORG spot, but because Davin Joseph is ONLY an ORG, they had to slot Rodger into the OLG spot.
True that has been said by Fisher himself but as bad as the play was @ ORG Saffold still played elsewhere the majority of the time...what does that say?????...ORG then OLG then OLT. Fisher still continues to struggle mightily to field an OL that can let Fisher play his best OL'er @ right OG in Saffold's best position. What in the world would make me think that things are better this season than last season? Nothing!
If Barksdale stays, he is at RT, but it's apparently looking like he might want a big payday...I didn't think he was that terrific to justify that...Reasonable #s make him a priority, huge #s not so much IMO...
Joe Barksdale is no longer a Ram & has been planning to sell himself to the highest bidder. This present UFA'cy season there are very few good ORT available with many teams in bad need of them. That means mega millions in JB's bank account. JB is sure to get a hefty payday & will be beat like a drum each & every Sunday by those quicker smaller pass rushers. Rams need to let JB go & seek an upgraded solution because JB is not the solution.
Saffold is better at RG. JMO
My fellow old timer, I agree 100% with you but as I said above unless there is some big upgrades in talent in this Ram OL Saffold will not be seen in that post.