Jake Ellenbogen's 2017 L.A. Rams Mock Draft 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What grade do you give my mock draft?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_daf08e0efad64248ad4c5b6c8e91e9fc~mv2.webp

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2017/02/20/Jake-Ellenbogens-2017-LA-Rams-Mock-Draft-20

The NFL combine and NFL free agency appears to be right around the corner. Since my last mock for the Rams was at the end of January and I have since watched more tape, looked over more free agents and have beginning to start having new thoughts. . .I felt it was best to put out another Mock draft pre-combine.

2nd Round (37th overall) - Ethan Pocic, C, LSU (6-foot-7, 302 lbs)
227364_14235ce199f14fb18fe449e0d0d8577b~mv2.webp

Here is a brand new face in my mock draft circle. Ethan Pocic is going to be a dynamic player. One thing you can see on tape is that he is a little bit more lean than a typical center, but he is going to be a force in the NFL. Pocic has it all, being a good athlete, with great technique, experience, leadership and I mean the list just goes on really.

The Rams no doubt have a giant gaping hole in the middle of their offensive line and whether you want to admit it or not Barnes has been terrible on the line. Until the Rams have a center they will not notice much of a difference on the offensive line. Pocic has the ability like former Ram pick Barrett Jones to play all over the line. However, Jones wasn't built the way Pocic is. Pocic is a day one starter and the question is how much weight can he put on to take more powerful interior defensive lineman, but still remain as agile and quick enough to get to the second level? Pocic is likely to fall to the top of the second round because he is a center and the Rams will need to pull the trigger if he's there.

Other options: Juju Smith-Schuster, WR, USC, Adoree Jackson, CB, USC, Forrest Lamp, OT/G, Western Kentucky

3rd Round (69th overall) - Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado (6-foot-0, 205 lbs)
227364_08a8018de0634529b766d2025406fd95~mv2.webp

I stick by the fact the Rams should be targeting this guy. Chidobe Awuzie has been my biggest draft crush at the cornerback position since November. He is an absolute torment behind the line of scrimmage. He can make multiple plays at the next level as far as in coverage is concerned. However, the big thing I see with Awuzie is his ability to tackle in space and create disruption in the backfield. He had more than 10 tackles for a loss, as a cornerback that's just insane.

The Rams obviously need a cornerback and Awuzie is another guy who could step in right away and start. This would also be considered a huge steal for me because quite honestly I think he's a first-round talent. He may not be as flashy as the rest but if you really watch and break down tape there isn't much that anyone can do that Awuzie can't. This selection is likely penciled in for me until the draft. I am sold on Awuzie and all the combine can do is make it less likely he falls into the third round.

Other options: Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina, Taylor Moton, OT, Western Michigan, Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State

4th round (101st overall) - Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State (6-foot-7, 311 lbs)
227364_52fe4c058da6443a85bb3494dc20742f~mv2_d_4152_3144_s_4_2.webp

I really am starting to like Roderick Johnson as the future left tackle of the Los Angeles Rams. Hear me out, Johnson is going to have his up's and down's but I believe with Aaron Kromer now as the OL coach he can turn into a real good left tackle. He reminds me a lot of Morgan Moses who happened to be Sean McVay's right tackle in Washington. Johnson excels in run blocking, he does struggle in pass protection but he flashes the ability to be dominant if given the help and taught the right technique. Johnson looks the part of an NFL left tackle and he could become just that with a little help.

The Rams obviously are in a bind with the future so cloudy at LT, Kromer might want his own guy to work with in that spot. I originally was going to place Julie'n Davenport here but the fact is that while they both are somewhat of a project, Johnson has more to work with right away than Davenport.

Other options: Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU, Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell, Lorenzo Jerome, S, St.Francis

4th round (Compensation pick) - Fish Smithson, FS, Kansas (5-foot-11, 201 lbs)
227364_a3a0b1b4a5614f2b82f256c4fe83c37b~mv2.webp

Another player I am sticking by is Fish Smithson from Kansas. I love his game, I love that he is an excellent tackler, with high football IQ and some serious ball skills. I feel as though it is imperative for the Rams to find their free safety and move Mo Alexander over to strong safety. Smithson would allow the Rams to do just that, the level of competition wasn't a problem and Smithson should be considered a hidden gem in this draft. Drafting Smithson would be like getting back Rodney McLeod, but overall a better tackler and better cover guy than McLeod.

Other options: Glen Antoine, NT, Idaho, Trey Hendrickson, DE, FAU, Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

5th round (151st overall) - James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh (6-foot-2, 235 lbs)
227364_afc3dcac997e4f19add29f35819d7b6a~mv2_d_2413_1606_s_2.webp

I absolutely love James Conner. He's a freight train and has some seriously deceptive speed and burst that will make defenses think twice. The Rams are likely to lose Benny Cunningham in free agency, but even if they don't one of the biggest problems last year for the Rams was the inability to score in the red zone and even more eye-opening their ability to punch it in at the goal line. Todd Gurley had a rough time doing that and call me crazy all you want, but I think the Rams should look for Conner as the Rams 2017 goal line back.

Conner for many who don't know or didn't read my piece on (which you can find here) overcame the battle of cancer and a broken leg. He did all that and then some by breaking the all-time touchdown record in ACC history. Conner on top of all that was widely respected among his teammates and was even named captain. Many think the Rams should take Joe Mixon, but I will take the guy who is a much better person and who has a chance to be a hell of a player and story on top of it. Give me Gurley, Conner, Brown and Green and I like the Rams backfield a lot.

Other options: Travin Dural, WR, LSU, Jon Toth, C, Kentucky, Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State

6th round (190th overall) - Joe Mathis, EDGE, Washington (6-foot-2, 255 lbs)
227364_a4e58e3309194222afc64a4ab4149cee~mv2_d_4052_3131_s_4_2.webp

Another player I have my eyes set on for the Rams, Joe Mathis. I wrote about him here, if you didn't get a chance to check him out. He's one of my top EDGE rushers in this class. Why is he falling down to the sixth-round then you might be wondering? Well, Mathis unfortunately had this past season cut short due to a leg injury. Before his injury Washington's defense was generating an ungodly amount of pressures. Once Mathis was on the shelf that all changed.

The Rams recently switched to a 3-4 base defense with Wade Phillips taking over at the helm. Mathis would fit in right away (if healthy) as an OLB with Rober Quinn. The Rams may not realize it but with the switch to the 3-4 they will need a couple new faces to establish the defensive scheme change. Mathis is one of those players you will love if he ends up on your time but hate if he doesn't. Let's just hope the Rams go with this terrorizing menace, because you could find him on a rival squad for the next 10 years.

Other options: Davis Webb, QB, California, Josh Harvey-Clemons, S, Louisville, Jamari Staples, WR, Louisville

6th round (Compensation pick) - Jalen Robinette, WR, Air Force (6-foot-4, 215 lbs)
227364_24d6279ade8c48448fb686e31afa195b~mv2.webp

Here is a small-school prospect that made me take one look at his tape and think that there isn't really a need for an early-round WR. The Rams are likely going to sign Pierre Garcon and maybe Robert Woods this free agency, there isn't really a need with Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper, Paul McRoberts, Mike Thomas, Bradley Marquez and Nelson Spruce all being young WR's that need to just be developed. That's why I think Jalen Robinette is different and worth the pick here. Sure, he isn't the greatest route runner, doesn't have the blazing speed but Robinette has traits that could make him a premier WR at the next level. I honestly see the Patriots being all over this under-the-radar type of guy.

Robinette was mostly in a run-heavy offense at Air Force, because of this he is under-the-radar. He has size that makes NFL scouts salivate and uses that size well. He has extremely long arms and gigantic hands. This guy doesn't care who hits him, he will get right back up or better yet try to bounce off of the defender and fight for every yard. Basically Robinette is extremely raw and could use a year to learn NFL route trees, but in the sixth-round this is an obvious pick to make. By prioritizing a raw WR late in the draft, the Rams could go ahead and find their best players available and fill needs in the mid-portion of the draft. Remember this name, there is a chance he blows up the combine and flies up mine and everyone else's draft board.

Other options: Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech, Darreus Rogers, WR, USC, Ezra Robinson, CB, Tennessee State

7th round (226th overall) - Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan (6-foot-4, 206 lbs)
227364_721b4015b97a4eb19967254c66bf8891~mv2_d_4116_2744_s_4_2.webp

Cornerback is a big question mark in Los Angeles, while I already have the Rams addressing that need with Chidobe Awuzie. I still think grabbing a project CB couldn't hurt. Jeremy Clark was well coached at Michigan and unfortunately it didn't end up finishing the way he wanted it to. Clark tore his ACL in his final year and the NCAA denied his application for a sixth year of eligibility. Clark is a giant at 6-foot-4 which is an intriguing size for a CB.

There are many places the Rams can go to use their seventh-round pick, but Clark could be the best option with his five years of college, his age and his size. I see Clark as a Tharold Simon or Deshawn Shead type of CB. He just needs to be coached up but the freakish size and athleticism is there.

Other options: Daquan Holmes, DB, American International College, Phazahn Odom, TE, Fordham, Javancy Jones, EDGE, Jackson State

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting work, Jake. Very thorough write-ups. Here are some concerns I have:
1. Ethan Pocic - First of all, if Lamp is on the board, he needs to be the pick. He's a better player, and it's not close. But assuming he's gone, I'm not sure Pocic fits our scheme that well. Kromer tends to like bigger, stronger players. Pocic is tall, athletic, and intelligent, but he doesn't really have the blow you off the ball power or bulk that Kromer typically looks for in OLs.

2. Chidobe Awuzie - I've said it before, but I think he's overrated. I like him to some degree, but his teammate, Ahkello Witherspoon, is a much better prospect. Ahkello will likely be there in the third round. Chidobe just doesn't have Ahkello's physical talent or his natural cover skills.

3. Roderick Johnson - Johnson does fit as a Kromer OL. I could see him ending up here. What scares me with him is that he has poor balance and tends to play with his weight over his toes. That leads to him ending up on the ground often. He's going to need time and a great OL Coach to fix his footwork and mechanical issues before he's ready to play.

4. Fish Smithson - This just feels like a couple rounds too soon for Fish. I like his football IQ and instincts, but he looked like a JAG to me on film. He's a small guy who isn't really a big hitter or a great athlete.

5. James Conner - I'd actually be intrigued by the idea of Conner at OLB, but I'm not really seeing the need for a HB. If we do go HB and Mixon is around then, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Mixon is a first round talent. I disagree with the notion that Todd Gurley struggles getting in the end-zone in the Redzone. I think that's one of his best attributes. I'm just not seeing what Conner brings to the table that we don't currently have. If we go HB in that range, there will be some options who make more sense for this team.

PainTrain

UDFA
Name
Raffi
6'7 Center is a no go. Too tall. Alex Mack is 6'4 but we has also a California State Champion in wrestling, which is why he has put together a HOF career.

Davis Webb won't be around in the sixth round. Worst case is 3rd and there are rumbling he could slide to the end of 1st round.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting work, Jake. Very thorough write-ups. Here are some concerns I have:
1. Ethan Pocic - First of all, if Lamp is on the board, he needs to be the pick. He's a better player, and it's not close. But assuming he's gone, I'm not sure Pocic fits our scheme that well. Kromer tends to like bigger, stronger players. Pocic is tall, athletic, and intelligent, but he doesn't really have the blow you off the ball power or bulk that Kromer typically looks for in OLs.

2. Chidobe Awuzie - I've said it before, but I think he's overrated. I like him to some degree, but his teammate, Ahkello Witherspoon, is a much better prospect. Ahkello will likely be there in the third round. Chidobe just doesn't have Ahkello's physical talent or his natural cover skills.

3. Roderick Johnson - Johnson does fit as a Kromer OL. I could see him ending up here. What scares me with him is that he has poor balance and tends to play with his weight over his toes. That leads to him ending up on the ground often. He's going to need time and a great OL Coach to fix his footwork and mechanical issues before he's ready to play.

4. Fish Smithson - This just feels like a couple rounds too soon for Fish. I like his football IQ and instincts, but he looked like a JAG to me on film. He's a small guy who isn't really a big hitter or a great athlete.

5. James Conner - I'd actually be intrigued by the idea of Conner at OLB, but I'm not really seeing the need for a HB. If we do go HB and Mixon is around then, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Mixon is a first round talent. I disagree with the notion that Todd Gurley struggles getting in the end-zone in the Redzone. I think that's one of his best attributes. I'm just not seeing what Conner brings to the table that we don't currently have. If we go HB in that range, there will be some options who make more sense for this team.
Appreciate that! I also appreciate you not tearing down my work in two seconds. I agree with Pocic being a risk and I had Forrest Lamp as our pick in the second in my last mock. I think Lamp falls into the first round now. I don't see him being there. As far as Awuzie goes his tackling has me excited, I think he is a good athlete and I think he can cover well. The 10+ TFL's he's racked up is insane for a CB. With Johnson that is obvious I totally agree he has some seriously scary nicks to his game. I definitely think he makes much more sense than Julie'n Davenport who played against lesser competition and for the love of me moves slower than molasses. Fish (I admit I am a Kansas Jayhawk fan if you didn't know) however, I really like Fish as a Rams fan first and foremost. I think fourth round might be Fish's stock at the moment but really it depends on who you talk to. Fish is another sound tackler with great ball skills. Keep in mind he didn't have much help at KU the team was never where it needed to be so he led the league in solo tackles. With Conner, I just love the kid really. I think he can be like Stephen Davis good. I believe he runs a little too upright but so did Derrick Henry and that hasn't stopped him. I don't know man I really dislike having Mixon. The way McVay preached how he wanted his football team to resemble I just doubt they draft him.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
6'7 Center is a no go. Too tall. Alex Mack is 6'4 but we has also a California State Champion in wrestling, which is why he has put together a HOF career.

Davis Webb won't be around in the sixth round. Worst case is 3rd and there are rumbling he could slide to the end of 1st round.
Wow! Davis Webb is flying up boards! If I could have one QB in this draft though it would be Patrick Mahomes without question. He has the sickest arm I've seen since I started researching prospects.

TexasRam

Legend
While I can boast 37 of football fanaticism and know the ins and out of every RAM team since '79 my knowledge of college ball is zero. With the exception of reading draft Mocks and profiles every year. I just don't watch college ball at all.

So my grade for you is ........... A+

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know man I really dislike having Mixon. The way McVay preached how he wanted his football team to resemble I just doubt they draft him.

I don't tend to buy too much into coachspeak. Snead's a risk-taker. I expect McVay will likely be willing to take some risks as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nice work....
I've looked at Pocic quite a bit the last couple months. He uses great leverage for a tall guy. And plays like he's better than his peers. I like his confidence. Is he a true center, or would he rather play guard?? I still don't like drafting centers this high...but oh well.
I like both Colorado corners...I like Washington's corners as well. I really like some tape I got on the Colorado safety. #9....And we need corners.
I've watched a lil of FSU....mainly their QB...and from what tape/games I've watched of Johnson, he's not even a draftable player IMO...I like Garcia from Troy...Or one of those dudes from Western M...or Western Kentucky....Same school that has....the 13-1 record...Western Something....LOL...Looks lazy.
I wouldn't draft a safety. We have Mo...We have Cody...and we have the Rhino coming back off an injury.
I'm like Jrry...if Mixon is there when we pick...I'm taking Mixon...He's a good complement to Gurley's style. Probably able to grab him as a UDFA.
Mathis is interesting....I liked a whole bunch of those Huskies on defense. Bunch of pro-talent.
Never heard of those last 2. I like height...but I like speed even more...combine should be interesting for these 2. 6'4 corner and wide receiver....
Thanks for putting this out here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I pretty much don't like any of the players, but give an A for a terrific write up and explanation.
As for me not liking the players, fear not as I thought Jimmy Clausen was going to be great lol

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
While I can boast 37 of football fanaticism and know the ins and out of every RAM team since '79 my knowledge of college ball is zero. With the exception of reading draft Mocks and profiles every year. I just don't watch college ball at all.

So my grade for you is ........... A+
Thank you sir haha! I appreciate it!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I pretty much don't like any of the players, but give an A for a terrific write up and explanation.
As for me not liking the players, fear not as I thought Jimmy Clausen was going to be great lol
Haha thank you! That was a great comment!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Nice work....
I've looked at Pocic quite a bit the last couple months. He uses great leverage for a tall guy. And plays like he's better than his peers. I like his confidence. Is he a true center, or would he rather play guard?? I still don't like drafting centers this high...but oh well.
I like both Colorado corners...I like Washington's corners as well. I really like some tape I got on the Colorado safety. #9....And we need corners.
I've watched a lil of FSU....mainly their QB...and from what tape/games I've watched of Johnson, he's not even a draftable player IMO...I like Garcia from Troy...Or one of those dudes from Western M...or Western Kentucky....Same school that has....the 13-1 record...Western Something....LOL...Looks lazy.
I wouldn't draft a safety. We have Mo...We have Cody...and we have the Rhino coming back off an injury.
I'm like Jrry...if Mixon is there when we pick...I'm taking Mixon...He's a good complement to Gurley's style. Probably able to grab him as a UDFA.
Mathis is interesting....I liked a whole bunch of those Huskies on defense. Bunch of pro-talent.
Never heard of those last 2. I like height...but I like speed even more...combine should be interesting for these 2. 6'4 corner and wide receiver....
Thanks for putting this out here.
Thanks for reading it! I am locked in on Awuzie, Fish, Mathis as my absolute must have. However, I am going to be thinking to myself and changing my mind often as the process goes on. With that being said I appreciate that you listed Randolph. I love the guy. Will be interviewing him some time soon. Hoping the new coaching staff gives him a chance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think Mixon goes in the third or fourth round. He's just too talented to fall far.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will try to stick with the original prospects that you mentioned in my post.

#2nd rd.(#37)- Forrest Lamp LT/LG or TJ Watt Edge.
#3rd rd.(#69)- Adoree Jackson CB or JuJu Smith-Schuster WR.
#4th rd.(a)-Joe Mixon RB
#4th rd.(b)-Joe Antoine NT
#5th rd. Jon Toth Center
#6th rd. Joe Mathis Edge
#6th rd. Ezra Robinson CB
#7th rd. Javany Jones Edge

As you can see I have concerns over the lack of any legit Edge OLB'ers on this team. The only name I inserted that you did not was Edge Rusher TJ Watt. Another thing about this mock from me is its heavy defense. But if you went with Lamp/Smith-Schuster & Mixon with the top three picks it would level out.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I will try to stick with the original prospects that you mentioned in my post.

#2nd rd.(#37)- Forrest Lamp LT/LG or TJ Watt Edge.
#3rd rd.(#69)- Adoree Jackson CB or JuJu Smith-Schuster WR.
#4th rd.(a)-Joe Mixon RB
#4th rd.(b)-Joe Antoine NT
#5th rd. Jon Toth Center
#6th rd. Joe Mathis Edge
#6th rd. Ezra Robinson CB
#7th rd. Javany Jones Edge

As you can see I have concerns over the lack of any legit Edge OLB'ers on this team. The only name I inserted that you did not was Edge Rusher TJ Watt. Another thing about this mock from me is its heavy defense. But if you went with Lamp/Smith-Schuster & Mixon with the top three picks it would level out.
Watt is going to be good I have no doubt. I would rather have Mathis though. I also think that our linebackers are better than given credit for. Forrest could be an EDGE, Cory Littleton may not have been drafted but he won Rams Rookie of the Year. Bryce Hager flashed some potential with that pick in the end zone on Jimmy Graham (It was a pick the refs gave that game to seattle as much as they could!). I also think Grigsby could be solid, there are options. I don't love the inside backers in this draft either outside of Foster and Cunningham

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I enjoy everyones mock drafts. Keep em coming.
I don't get to watch much college ball, so these bring up to speed on guys to look into.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I enjoy everyones mock drafts. Keep em coming.
I don't get to watch much college ball, so these bring up to speed on guys to look into.
Well thats awesome! I definitely will.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great job @jakebogen95 I would like a Wide Receiver earlier before the free safety ,however, free agency is going to play a large part on the direction of the draft.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
227364_daf08e0efad64248ad4c5b6c8e91e9fc~mv2.webp

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2017/02/20/Jake-Ellenbogens-2017-LA-Rams-Mock-Draft-20

The NFL combine and NFL free agency appears to be right around the corner. Since my last mock for the Rams was at the end of January and I have since watched more tape, looked over more free agents and have beginning to start having new thoughts. . .I felt it was best to put out another Mock draft pre-combine.

2nd Round (37th overall) - Ethan Pocic, C, LSU (6-foot-7, 302 lbs)
227364_14235ce199f14fb18fe449e0d0d8577b~mv2.webp

Here is a brand new face in my mock draft circle. Ethan Pocic is going to be a dynamic player. One thing you can see on tape is that he is a little bit more lean than a typical center, but he is going to be a force in the NFL. Pocic has it all, being a good athlete, with great technique, experience, leadership and I mean the list just goes on really.

The Rams no doubt have a giant gaping hole in the middle of their offensive line and whether you want to admit it or not Barnes has been terrible on the line. Until the Rams have a center they will not notice much of a difference on the offensive line. Pocic has the ability like former Ram pick Barrett Jones to play all over the line. However, Jones wasn't built the way Pocic is. Pocic is a day one starter and the question is how much weight can he put on to take more powerful interior defensive lineman, but still remain as agile and quick enough to get to the second level? Pocic is likely to fall to the top of the second round because he is a center and the Rams will need to pull the trigger if he's there.

Other options: Juju Smith-Schuster, WR, USC, Adoree Jackson, CB, USC, Forrest Lamp, OT/G, Western Kentucky

3rd Round (69th overall) - Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado (6-foot-0, 205 lbs)
227364_08a8018de0634529b766d2025406fd95~mv2.webp

I stick by the fact the Rams should be targeting this guy. Chidobe Awuzie has been my biggest draft crush at the cornerback position since November. He is an absolute torment behind the line of scrimmage. He can make multiple plays at the next level as far as in coverage is concerned. However, the big thing I see with Awuzie is his ability to tackle in space and create disruption in the backfield. He had more than 10 tackles for a loss, as a cornerback that's just insane.

The Rams obviously need a cornerback and Awuzie is another guy who could step in right away and start. This would also be considered a huge steal for me because quite honestly I think he's a first-round talent. He may not be as flashy as the rest but if you really watch and break down tape there isn't much that anyone can do that Awuzie can't. This selection is likely penciled in for me until the draft. I am sold on Awuzie and all the combine can do is make it less likely he falls into the third round.

Other options: Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina, Taylor Moton, OT, Western Michigan, Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State

4th round (101st overall) - Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State (6-foot-7, 311 lbs)
227364_52fe4c058da6443a85bb3494dc20742f~mv2_d_4152_3144_s_4_2.webp

I really am starting to like Roderick Johnson as the future left tackle of the Los Angeles Rams. Hear me out, Johnson is going to have his up's and down's but I believe with Aaron Kromer now as the OL coach he can turn into a real good left tackle. He reminds me a lot of Morgan Moses who happened to be Sean McVay's right tackle in Washington. Johnson excels in run blocking, he does struggle in pass protection but he flashes the ability to be dominant if given the help and taught the right technique. Johnson looks the part of an NFL left tackle and he could become just that with a little help.

The Rams obviously are in a bind with the future so cloudy at LT, Kromer might want his own guy to work with in that spot. I originally was going to place Julie'n Davenport here but the fact is that while they both are somewhat of a project, Johnson has more to work with right away than Davenport.

Other options: Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU, Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell, Lorenzo Jerome, S, St.Francis

4th round (Compensation pick) - Fish Smithson, FS, Kansas (5-foot-11, 201 lbs)
227364_a3a0b1b4a5614f2b82f256c4fe83c37b~mv2.webp

Another player I am sticking by is Fish Smithson from Kansas. I love his game, I love that he is an excellent tackler, with high football IQ and some serious ball skills. I feel as though it is imperative for the Rams to find their free safety and move Mo Alexander over to strong safety. Smithson would allow the Rams to do just that, the level of competition wasn't a problem and Smithson should be considered a hidden gem in this draft. Drafting Smithson would be like getting back Rodney McLeod, but overall a better tackler and better cover guy than McLeod.

Other options: Glen Antoine, NT, Idaho, Trey Hendrickson, DE, FAU, Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

5th round (151st overall) - James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh (6-foot-2, 235 lbs)
227364_afc3dcac997e4f19add29f35819d7b6a~mv2_d_2413_1606_s_2.webp

I absolutely love James Conner. He's a freight train and has some seriously deceptive speed and burst that will make defenses think twice. The Rams are likely to lose Benny Cunningham in free agency, but even if they don't one of the biggest problems last year for the Rams was the inability to score in the red zone and even more eye-opening their ability to punch it in at the goal line. Todd Gurley had a rough time doing that and call me crazy all you want, but I think the Rams should look for Conner as the Rams 2017 goal line back.

Conner for many who don't know or didn't read my piece on (which you can find here) overcame the battle of cancer and a broken leg. He did all that and then some by breaking the all-time touchdown record in ACC history. Conner on top of all that was widely respected among his teammates and was even named captain. Many think the Rams should take Joe Mixon, but I will take the guy who is a much better person and who has a chance to be a hell of a player and story on top of it. Give me Gurley, Conner, Brown and Green and I like the Rams backfield a lot.

Other options: Travin Dural, WR, LSU, Jon Toth, C, Kentucky, Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State

6th round (190th overall) - Joe Mathis, EDGE, Washington (6-foot-2, 255 lbs)
227364_a4e58e3309194222afc64a4ab4149cee~mv2_d_4052_3131_s_4_2.webp

Another player I have my eyes set on for the Rams, Joe Mathis. I wrote about him here, if you didn't get a chance to check him out. He's one of my top EDGE rushers in this class. Why is he falling down to the sixth-round then you might be wondering? Well, Mathis unfortunately had this past season cut short due to a leg injury. Before his injury Washington's defense was generating an ungodly amount of pressures. Once Mathis was on the shelf that all changed.

The Rams recently switched to a 3-4 base defense with Wade Phillips taking over at the helm. Mathis would fit in right away (if healthy) as an OLB with Rober Quinn. The Rams may not realize it but with the switch to the 3-4 they will need a couple new faces to establish the defensive scheme change. Mathis is one of those players you will love if he ends up on your time but hate if he doesn't. Let's just hope the Rams go with this terrorizing menace, because you could find him on a rival squad for the next 10 years.

Other options: Davis Webb, QB, California, Josh Harvey-Clemons, S, Louisville, Jamari Staples, WR, Louisville

6th round (Compensation pick) - Jalen Robinette, WR, Air Force (6-foot-4, 215 lbs)
227364_24d6279ade8c48448fb686e31afa195b~mv2.webp

Here is a small-school prospect that made me take one look at his tape and think that there isn't really a need for an early-round WR. The Rams are likely going to sign Pierre Garcon and maybe Robert Woods this free agency, there isn't really a need with Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper, Paul McRoberts, Mike Thomas, Bradley Marquez and Nelson Spruce all being young WR's that need to just be developed. That's why I think Jalen Robinette is different and worth the pick here. Sure, he isn't the greatest route runner, doesn't have the blazing speed but Robinette has traits that could make him a premier WR at the next level. I honestly see the Patriots being all over this under-the-radar type of guy.

Robinette was mostly in a run-heavy offense at Air Force, because of this he is under-the-radar. He has size that makes NFL scouts salivate and uses that size well. He has extremely long arms and gigantic hands. This guy doesn't care who hits him, he will get right back up or better yet try to bounce off of the defender and fight for every yard. Basically Robinette is extremely raw and could use a year to learn NFL route trees, but in the sixth-round this is an obvious pick to make. By prioritizing a raw WR late in the draft, the Rams could go ahead and find their best players available and fill needs in the mid-portion of the draft. Remember this name, there is a chance he blows up the combine and flies up mine and everyone else's draft board.

Other options: Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech, Darreus Rogers, WR, USC, Ezra Robinson, CB, Tennessee State

7th round (226th overall) - Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan (6-foot-4, 206 lbs)
227364_721b4015b97a4eb19967254c66bf8891~mv2_d_4116_2744_s_4_2.webp

Cornerback is a big question mark in Los Angeles, while I already have the Rams addressing that need with Chidobe Awuzie. I still think grabbing a project CB couldn't hurt. Jeremy Clark was well coached at Michigan and unfortunately it didn't end up finishing the way he wanted it to. Clark tore his ACL in his final year and the NCAA denied his application for a sixth year of eligibility. Clark is a giant at 6-foot-4 which is an intriguing size for a CB.

There are many places the Rams can go to use their seventh-round pick, but Clark could be the best option with his five years of college, his age and his size. I see Clark as a Tharold Simon or Deshawn Shead type of CB. He just needs to be coached up but the freakish size and athleticism is there.

Other options: Daquan Holmes, DB, American International College, Phazahn Odom, TE, Fordham, Javancy Jones, EDGE, Jackson State
In this one I only gave you a "C" I don't care for the way you prioritized the Rams needs in you Draft selection. I wouldn't have gone "Center" with the 1st pick and you waited too long to go for a "Pass-Rusher"!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
In this one I only gave you a "C" I don't care for the way you prioritized the Rams needs in you Draft selection. I wouldn't have gone "Center" with the 1st pick and you waited too long to go for a "Pass-Rusher"!

It's too hard to issue a grade without knowing the outcome of FA. So I didn't vote.