Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey gives his opinion on NFL QB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Couldn't help but notice that he had a certain trend with the QBs he said were good.

But I do agree with a lot of what he says. I think Matt Ryan is overrated. Flacco does suck IMO.

But if we're going to say that certain QBs were good because of their cast, that's Kaepernick to a T.

I agree he was going to down a path when talking about the draft class. But he goes on to put Wentz with Watson. If Watson stays healthy and plays like he did last year, he is a MVP candidate easily IMO, he calls Cousins a winner. Says Rogers and Brady dont suck lol. He give Dak little love.

He has a big mouth and is hard to like, but most not all of what he said is pretty straight forward and I agree with most of what he said.

…..

Legend
That NFL Research tweet is hilarious. Not the content, just the fact that they would do that is funny as hell

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If you remove the obvious guys...the future HOF's...his "opinions" on which QB's are good is pretty transparent to me. I'll leave it at that.

Others have said that, and I noticed it as well. I reread the article just to be sure I wasn't being wrongheaded and what cemented it for me were his remarks about Roethlisberger (whom I dislike by the way) because he is a running QB as well.

I think calling Mariota "great" is funny as hell in it's absurdity, and I was waiting for the knucklehead writer to ask about Jameis Winston to see what his response was..........but he let me down.

I think Matt Ryan is overrated. Flacco does suck IMO.

Ryan is a little over rated by some people possibly, but is a really excellent QB. Flacco IMO doesn't suck but he is not a star, maybe slightly above average or so. You could make a case that he is not in the top 15, but he isn't bottom 10 or anything like that. Most of his career the Ravens have not been scoring well and that can be tied to his mediocre TD pass totals. I wouldn't want him now, but would have welcomed him for the previous decade based on what we suffered with LOL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
f Watson stays healthy and plays like he did last year, he is a MVP candidate easily IMO

It's not sustainabler at his size though. If he learns how to make his living behind the LOS however he's going to be very good. MVP? I dunno about that, but he will win loads of games if he has a good team around him. He has the ability to do that.

That NFL Research tweet is hilarious. Not the content, just the fact that they would do that is funny as hell

Post that shit @Dog I don't have twitter...........let me see what they said.

…..

Legend
Post that crap @Dog I don't have twitter...........let me see what they said.
I was actually referring to @Ram_Rally post above that shows QB rankings against Ramsey.

I dont even care what the results were....its just funny that dude put himself out there and someone thought "Ok smartguy...lets have a look!"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/15/17693610/jalen-ramsey-trash-talk-quarterbacks

Breaking Down Jalen Ramsey’s Quarterback Spice
Analyzing the cornerback’s opinions of the league’s signal-callers
By Miles Surrey

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers: Ramsey said they do not suck and are, in fact, good.

Our Take: Well, yes.

Tyrod Taylor and Marcus Mariota: Ramsey said both QBs are good for what their teams ask of them, which is to be “in position to be in the game late” and limit the turnovers.

Our Take: Elite game managers deserve love, too! (Ramsey doesn’t cover Alex Smith in the interview, but he’s also cut from that clock-managing mold. Either that or my sullen Redskins fandom has skewed my objectivity for Smith, my new 34-year-old son.)

Mariota has generally been warmly received by Titans fans, so it’s Ramsey’s Taylor praise that really resonates. Taylor was never treated fairly by the Bills, who, in a tight divisional race, nearly threw away their chance at their first playoff appearance in over a decade by starting Nathan Peterman against the San Diego Chargers.

Reminder: Peterman threw five interceptions on 14 pass attempts. Taylor has the lowest interception rate in NFL history (on a minimum of 1,000 attempts). As Ramsey said, “That’s really all you need, especially if you get a good defense.”

Jimmy Garoppolo and Jared Goff: Ramsey believes these quarterbacks’ successes comes from the schemes devised for them.

Our Take: This is tricky, given that both players have started fewer than 24 games, but he could have a point. Sean McVay’s schemes allowed Goff to thrive with the L.A. Rams after a forgettable, Jeff Fisher–led rookie season, while Kyle Shanahan just needed a quarterback in San Francisco that knew how to throw a football, and he certainly acquired one in Jimmy G.

Would either QB still be effective when removed from these schemes? Maybe; maybe not. But per Ramsey, “If you know how to work within your scheme then it means you’re good.”

Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz: Ramsey said Watson and Wentz will be competing for league MVPs for the next five to 10 years.

Our Take: Deshaun Watson was so integral to my fantasy football team last year that I considered preparing a Viking funeral for my laptop when he went down with an ACL tear. Meanwhile, Carson Wentz might be in the most favorable position in the league, and his arm’s a rocket. Once again, Ramsey is spot-on.

Dak Prescott: “He’s alright. He’s OK. I’ll put it that way. [Ezekiel Elliott] runs that team though.”

Our Take: It’s also a lot easier to play quarterback in the NFL when you have one of the best offensive lines in the league to go with an elite running back. Without Elliott, the Dallas Cowboys had one of the worst offenses in the league. This also checks out.

Kirk Cousins: “I think he’s good. I think he’s a winner. He’s a hell of a competitor. Coming off the play-action, he’s the best quarterback in the league.”

Our Take: The wounds are still open from Cousins’s departure from Washington. Please, I need to move on.

Eli Manning, Andrew Luck, and Ben Roethlisberger: As with Prescott, Ramsey believes Manning, Luck, and Big Ben’s successes are tied to Odell Beckham Jr., T.Y. Hilton, and Antonio Brown, respectively. “I won’t say Eli’s good, I’ll say Odell’s good,” he said before drawing similar parallels between Big Ben and Brown as well as Luck and Hilton.

Our Take: [Hides from the Giants fans swarming my office, led by a resilient and semi-Twitter-savvy Mike Francesa] Yes, Eli sucks now. He’ll always have those two Super Bowls. Ben Big is washed, and Andrew Luck may no longer have an arm.

Derek Carr and Russell Wilson: Because Ramsey was literally going through his phone and picking out quarterbacks at random, he barely touches on Wilson and Carr, but said they are both good.

Our Take: Wilson is most certainly good, despite his offensive line being made of papier-mâché. Carr, on the other hand, just led a seemingly Super Bowl–primed Raiders team to a 6-10 record and had as many interceptions as Manning, Prescott, and Joe Flacco, so, while he’s not bad, he might not be worth the massive cap hit once his five-year, $125 million deal goes into effect.

Joe Flacco: “Flacco sucks.”

Our Take: Flacco is more putrid than week-old Maryland crab cakes on a humid summer afternoon. Yes.

Nick Foles: “He won them a Super Bowl so he’s good enough to do that.”

Our Take: Considering Foles almost retired from football before signing as the Eagles’ backup, Ramsey seems to be shorting the Super Bowl MVP. The Philly Special! Outdueling Tom freakin’ Brady. Nick Foles might be the best backup in the league.

Drew Brees: “I’m a fan of Drew Brees. I think Drew Brees really good, even at this age.”

Our Take: There’s nothing to debate here, but I looked up Brees’s age and can’t believe he’s 39 and still at the top of nearly every statistical offensive category.

Ryan Tannehill: Ramsey throws a good bit of Tannehill shade: “I don’t know much about him. I haven’t heard the greatest of stuff about him but I don’t know him personally so I can’t tell you. I don’t watch their games either.”

Our Take: Anyone who throws a tantrum when his own scout team is roasting him is probably not that good at football. Ryan Tannehill is not good.

Philip Rivers: “I think he’s pretty good.”

Our take: While Rivers the Octodad has more children than he does Pro Bowl appearances (seven), I still agree that he’s pretty good.

Jay Cutler: “I’ve really been enjoying that new reality show he’s got with his wife. I’m tuning in every week. He’s a much better reality TV personality than he was a quarterback.”

Our Take: OK, I made that one up.

Matt Ryan: This might’ve been the best of Ramsey’s spice: He is not a fan of the Atlanta Falcons quarterback. “I think Matt Ryan’s overrated. You can’t tell me you win MVP two years ago, and then last year, you a complete bust, and you still got Julio Jones?”

Our Take: [Eyes emoji] Well, damn. Ramsey didn’t even need to mention the Falcons’ 28-3 meltdown to provide a comprehensive argument for Ryan being overrated (not the same thing as bad). Ryan enters 2018 with perhaps the best receiving corps in the league. How the Falcons perform should go a long way toward settling the debate: Is Ryan actually good, or just a product of ex–offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s dank schemes?

Blake Bortles: With all the crafty couching abilities of a seasoned politician, Ramsey somehow compliments his own quarterback by never explicitly saying Bortles sucks, while also avoiding calling him a good quarterback. “Blake do what he gotta do …” Ramsey said. (Note the pause and ellipsis from the actual transcript!) He later compares “Playoff Blake” to Nick Foles.

Our Take: Look: You can’t just openly dunk on your quarterback, and this was a pretty good save for someone who knows his team’s QB isn’t among the league’s elite. Bonus points for Ramsey saying that Bortles goes up against the scout team in practice because the starters “don’t wanna hurt his confidence.”

All told, Ramsey’s QB spice had its merits: It’s hard to disagree that Joe Flacco and Ryan Tannehill are trash, and that Tyrod Taylor definitely doesn’t get enough credit for his lack of turnovers and solid game management. Plus, some quarterbacks are reliant on star players at the running back and wideout positions to buoy the team’s success. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but Prescott’s non-Elliott numbers speak for themselves.

Ramsey’s comments might not ingratiate him to half of the league’s quarterbacks, but it’s not like the shit-talking corner isn’t used to negative attention from his competitors (see: A.J. Green). Can the season just start already?