Jaguars at Steelers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...uars-vs-steelers-afc-divisional-round-preview

Jaguars vs. Steelers: AFC Divisional Round Preview

The Backstory

For months, football fans and analysts alike have confidently pointed to the AFC title game as a predetermined showdown between the Steelers and Patriots.

In this scenario, the Titans -- facing New England on Saturday -- and the Jaguars -- playing Pittsburgh on Sunday -- are nothing more than gridiron afterthoughts. Milquetoast names on a dance card and not worthy of the high-society invite.

Unfair?

Absolutely. At least when it comes to the Jacksonville Jaguars, who roll into Heinz Field with one of the century's beastliest defenses. Second in points allowed and better than anyone against the pass, this unit has the potential to make things challenging for the Steelers.

Pittsburgh counters with a juicy, third-ranked air attack that returns a healthy Antonio Brown to the lineup for the first time since before Christmas.

Too much has been made about Ben Roethlisberger's five-pick meltdown in Week 5, when Jacksonville rode into Pittsburgh and dropped a 30-9 death-hammer. That game is ancient history -- "We've evolved since then," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said -- and he's right. Still, this Jaguarsdefense has the personnel to give Pittsburgh's offense fits behind a star-studded cast headlined by havoc-wreaking MVP candidate Calais Campbell and a pair of star cornerbacks in Jalen Ramseyand A.J. Bouye.

We can't take another step without mentioning Blake Bortles, the Jaguars passer who looked downright hideous throwing the ball in a white-knuckle 10-3 playoff win over the Bills last weekend -- an ugly/beautiful game shipped to us from 1937.

In that grind-it-out tilt, Bortles became just the third starting signal-caller to win a playoff contest with more rushing (88) than passing yards (87), joining Michael Vick and Bob Griese along the way.

Bortles made plays with his feet against Buffalo, but killed the team through the air. He must clean up his act and hope for a monster performance from rookie running back Leonard Fournette, who thrashed the Steelers for 181 yards and two scores back in October.

Fournette, though, has been held to under 70 yards in five of his last six appearances, leading to losses in three of those outings. The ground game must buzz to life for any shot to upset a talented, driven Steelers team playing to honor their injured teammate, Ryan Shazier.

Pittsburgh was caught by surprise in Week 5. That won't happen again on Sunday.

Under Pressure

Le'Veon Bell, Steelers RB: Bell's 5.5 yards per carry in the postseason rank fourth-highest in NFL history. Pittsburgh's ultra-productive workhorse hasn't posted fewer than 80 yards from scrimmage since the regular-season opener, but Bell has been held under 100 yards rushing all but once since Week 7. At the same time, he beat out Alvin Kamara (81) and Christian McCaffrey (80) with a league-leading and franchise-record 85 catches this season. Bell is a special talent, but his yards per carry have tumbled from 4.6 over his first six games to 3.2 over his last eight. During that span his total scrimmage yards have fallen from 122.0 over his first six outings to 86.0 ever since. Against a Jaguars team that held Bell to 47 yards rushing in Week 5, it's time for a dose of revenge.

Blake Bortles, Jaguars QB: This is a predictable entry, as Bortles operates under a burning spotlight weekly for a team often forced to play around their quarterback. It's not hard to imagine Pittsburgh's opportunistic defense coaxing Bortles into a handful of mind-numbing errors. To prevent that, Jacksonville must avoid falling into an early hole. When the run game produces, Bortles has been a different player. That's especially true on snaps resulting in play-action passes, where he posted the eighth-highest quarterback rating (107.5) league-wide this season, per Pro Football Focus. Only nine teams allowed a higher passer rating against play action than Pittsburgh's 107.9, giving Bortles a minor ray of hope. Rattle him early, though, and this could be a wipeout.

Matchup to Watch

Prepare yourself for one of weekend's premier strength-on-strength matchups when the NFL's top receiving tandem of Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith-Schuster square off against the league's finest cornerback duo in Ramsey and Bouye. To the surprise of nobody, Pro Football Focus ranked Brown as the league's best player at his position, with Smith-Schuster (No. 22) and Martavis Bryant (No. 64) rounding out the pecking order. Ramsey -- clocking in as the league's second-ranked cover man -- and Bouye (No. 6) are joined by Aaron Colvin (No. 57), who could see plenty of time against Smith-Schuster in the slot. Back in Week 5, Brown piled up 91 yards off four grabs against Ramsey, but also saw a pair of targets in his direction wind up as picks. Smith-Schuster, meanwhile, managed just one catch for 18 yards off seven targets against Bouye. Smith-Schuster has grown into a breakout star, though, giving Pittsburgh a pair of pass-catchers who can riddle a secondary. With Bryant also heating up, this amounts to biggest test yet for Jacksonville's fascinating young secondary.

Pittsburgh's offensive line vs. Jacksonville's pass rush: The Steelers house an underrated front five, but the Jaguars have successfully hassled quarterbacks all season. Ranking second in sacks (55) and interceptions (21), third in forced fumbles (17) and first in defensive scores (7), the Jaguarscome at you with a loaded roster that starts with their ferocious defensive line. Campbell finished second league-wide with 14.5 sacks, while the underrated Yannick Ngakoue wasn't far behind with 12.5 takedowns of his own. Dante Fowler and Malik Jackson added another 16 between them, enough to keep offensive linemen awake and shaking in their beds at night. This group dominated Buffalo last week and made life a living, breathing hell for signal-caller Tyrod Taylor. They have the ability to do it again.

Prediction

Outside of a suspicious meltdown in San Francisco, Jacksonville's defense has performed ferociously all year. They can hang with anyone. How long can they temper Pittsburgh, though, while waiting for Bortles and the offense to produce something -- anything -- to make this a game? A defensive touchdown and some general weirdness would help Jacksonville, but I don't see the Steelers falling twice at home to the same team.

Pittsburgh Steelers 20, Jacksonville Jaguars 17

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The Jags are the only team who have a chance to bury the Patriots in the AFCCG. I hope they get past the Steelers today.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Jags are the only team who have a chance to bury the Patriots in the AFCCG. I hope they get past the Steelers today.

I think the Steelers can. Why do you feel only the Jags?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think the Steelers can. Why do you feel only the Jags?
I don’t trust Roethlisberger. Plus The Patriots own the Steelers. The way to beat NE in the playoffs is with a great secondary and a consistent pass rush that can get to Brady. Pittsburgh has neither of those.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Insane.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/14/threat-to-kill-steelers-and-fans-leads-to-arrest-report.html

Threats to kill Steelers and fans lead to arrest: report

A Texas man has been arrested after allegedly threatening to kill members of the Pittsburgh Steelers as well as the team’s fans, according to reports.

Yuttana Choochongkol, 30, allegedly made the threats in communications to a Pittsburgh television station and to the security director at Heinz Field, the Steelers’ home stadium, KSAT-TV in San Antonio reported.

The same message indicates that the author intended to kill himself as well:

“The Steelers game will be packed, and that's when I plan on killing Steelers football players and fans before taking my own pitiful life,” one message said in part.

“After all, what does a person that is going to commit suicide have to lose? Absolutely nothing. So why not take out some million dollar Steelers players before me? Sounds like a good idea. Hahahahahah”

Authorities obtained the IP address from which the messages were sent, and traced it to a medical trial business in San Antonio, the Texas station reported, adding that Choochongkol has participated in trials for the company since 2011.

Choochongkol was charged with making a terroristic threat, KSAT-TV reported.

The Steelers are scheduled to host the Jacksonville Jaguars in an NFL playoff game Sunday

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
One of my boys is a big Steelers fan so I will cheer for them to win it all. Of all the scenarios left...

Steelers or Jags vs. any of the remaining NFC teams... Steelers or Jags to win.
Cheatriots vs. Eagles... Eagles need to win.
Cheatriots vs. Viqueens... Netflix.
Cheatriots vs 'Aints... Netflix.

Basically I will watch a super bowl as long as it's not the cheatriots/viqueens or cheatriots/aints. Looks like my odds are pretty low getting a super bowl worth watching.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am torn as I dislike the Steelers and would love them to lose to the Jaguars, however, I don't think the Jags can beat New England with Blake Bortles, however, I do believe the Steelers will realize they have never beaten New England and might just be able to get over the hump, plus if the Officals pull their bull shit against Pittsburgh their fans will burn someone in effigy to force the NFL to make some major changes in regards to officiating.

Ram65

Legend
I too have grown weary of the Steelers. I use to like them as my AFC team. Big Ben is amazing QB with Bell and Brown as talented as any in the league. They are on a lot here in Phila. but, I have not been watching much of their games. I think they can beat the Patsies so there is that. Don't think they will lose but, the Jags could keep it close.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think this is going to be a good game with drama to the end.

Ram65

Legend
Getting chippy out there.

Where were the coverage LBers for the Steelers. That was real easy for the Jags.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
A lot of smack talking. If the Jags can keep it up like they are playing so far the Steelers are going to have a hard time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Great start for Jacksonville.

Interesting to see how they handle the lead on offense.