Isaac Bruce Believes Brian Quick Is Beginning to Figure It Out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Thanks as always @RamBill I don't know why but your audio links work only on my phone and the vids only on my laptop.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Your devices are just sharing the love, man...

jap

Legend
The Reverend Isaac Bruce speaketh. All who have ears, let them hear!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Fisher isn't letting him forget that penalty,it negated a drive that we needed badly ,IMO Britt gets some more action this week cuz Tampa saw what Quick can do.

jap

Legend
Fisher isn't letting him forget that penalty,it negated a drive that we needed badly ,IMO Britt gets some more action this week cuz Tampa saw what Quick can do.

That sort of thing should naturally happen. Opposing defenses tend to key on the star(s) of the week(s) before, allowing other players to step up and shine. Instead of trying to force feed Tavon the rock, let's get our big guys going offensively (Kenny, Quick, Cookie, Zac, Benny, etc.), and Tavon automatically becomes a matchup nightmare.

jjab360

Legend
Meh, I don't know about Fisher not giving Quick a break on that penalty, it was a pretty ticky-tack call and ultimately we still got the first & 10, iirc.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Meh, I don't know about Fisher not giving Quick a break on that penalty, it was a pretty ticky-tack call and ultimately we still got the first & 10, iirc.
He mentioned it after the game and in the presser yesterday,he intends for Quick to remember it, after the game his words were something to the effect that his day would only be remembered for the face mask penalty, then in yesterdays presser he said this "The only thing that he could improve was the facemask penalty. He’s learned from that"
Again it negated a huge gain and set us back 15 from the original LOS ,half the length of the field , in a game we could have gotten into but for it ,IMA say talking about it twice like that says he wanted someone to hear him,then again I didn't say not giving him a break, I said wasn't letting him forget and we were rolling had them on their heels with that play include that play in his and the QB's stats and they alone make their days much better Quick woulda had a day somewhere around 120 yards,where would that rank him among league leaders? Third ? He had a monster day if you include that catch ,he needs to remember it and it seems to me Fisher wants him to,I know for sure Fisher remembers it he's still talking about it three days later.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brian Quick more comfortable than ever
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/115264/brian-quick-more-comfortable-than-ever

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams wide receiver Brian Quick was one of the team's most pleasant surprises during training camp and the preseason.

Finally able to string together a series of strong practice outings and find some much-needed consistency, Quick looked the part of the receiver the Rams thought they were getting when they drafted him with the first pick of the second round of the 2012 NFL draft. But performing in shoulder pads and shorts and doing it in games are two very different things.

So when Quick was able to carry over what he was doing in practice to the season opener against the Minnesota Vikings, it was the most encouraging sign yet that Quick has what it takes to be a solid contributor at the NFL level.

"Coming out here every day and playing fast definitely makes it easier for me," Quick said. "But that’s the biggest thing is translating it to the field from practice."

Quick's work in practice translated into career highs in catches (seven) and yards (99). To the top receivers in the league, that's an average week's worth of work, but nobody is putting those type of expectations on Quick. Instead, the Rams would like him to be a consistent performer who can be reliable in the passing game and use his 6-foot-3, 218-pound frame to provide stout run blocking on the perimeter.

Aside from a facemask penalty that appeared to be more bad luck than anything, Quick was the lone real bright spot for the Rams' offense in the loss to Minnesota.

"I was encouraged," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Brian came on. He made every catch. The only thing that he could improve was the facemask penalty. He’s learned from that. But, he was very productive. Made different types of catches, contested catches -- the third down catch where we ended up fourth and 1 and a half was a good catch, it was a good concentration effort."

Indeed, Quick's production wasn't some shallow numbers grab coming after the game was already out of hand. He caught a 23-yard pass from quarterback Shaun Hill on the game's first play and went on to post 70 yards on four catches in the first half. Simply put, Quick looked as comfortable as he has ever looked on an NFL field, and in turn looked like he belonged.

So what has been the difference? Quick points to the amount of time it took him to learn an NFL offense and route tree after entering the league from tiny Appalachian State. There, Quick played in a rudimentary offense that asked little of him in terms of route running and understanding defenses.

"That was the biggest adjustment was coming in and learning the playbook," Quick said. "It kept me from playing fast, but now that I really feel that I’m dialed in and I can move fast and know the plays, that’s what I’m feeling."

It has also helped Quick's cause that he has entered the season as a starter and knows that he is going to get consistent reps in practice and plenty of snaps in games. Where Quick often found himself thinking through plays as they were happening, he now says he is doing things naturally.

"Sitting on the sideline, not getting reps and then getting in a close game and going in, it’s kind of hard to adjust," Quick said. "But now being a starter and going in, I’m doing the best I can playing fast and knowing the offense. It’s a lot easier for me."

Of course, Quick must now turn his consistent practice performances into consistent game performances. The rapport he had with Hill was obvious in the first half last week, but if Hill is unable to play this week because of a quad injury, Quick will have to adjust to working with backup Austin Davis.

In addition, Quick might have been able to take Minnesota by surprise in the first week, but Tampa Bay will be well aware of him in the second. Last season, we saw tight end Jared Cook open with a big performance then disappear for long stretches of time.

The onus falls on Quick to continue to find ways to get open and make plays.

"I’m playing faster and not thinking," Quick said. "That’s a big change for me. I am just playing fast."

reggae

He mentioned it after the game and in the presser yesterday,he intends for Quick to remember it, after the game his words were something to the effect that his day would only be remembered for the face mask penalty, then in yesterdays presser he said this "The only thing that he could improve was the facemask penalty. He’s learned from that"
Again it negated a huge gain and set us back 15 from the original LOS ,half the length of the field , in a game we could have gotten into but for it ,IMA say talking about it twice like that says he wanted someone to hear him,then again I didn't say not giving him a break, I said wasn't letting him forget and we were rolling had them on their heels with that play include that play in his and the QB's stats and they alone make their days much better Quick woulda had a day somewhere around 120 yards,where would that rank him among league leaders? Third ? He had a monster day if you include that catch ,he needs to remember it and it seems to me Fisher wants him to,I know for sure Fisher remembers it he's still talking about it three days later.
Pretty silly if you ask me. Did he call out C. Long for his encroachment penalty? If he's coaching Quick not to be phyiscal than Fisher needs a new line of work.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A concern for Quick; can our QB get him the ball? I don't want to pile on Davis, but dude doesn't have the strongest arm.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I think his fingers got caught up in the mask. So what does Fisher want him to do? Never stiff arm?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think his fingers got caught up in the mask. So what does Fisher want him to do? Never stiff arm?
Hell ,I don't know ,in the end it's an observation I made ,but it doesn't matter IF his fingers got caught, hands to the face is a penalty ,you can't stiff arm to the face anymore .
Quick is becoming a physical rec. if he negates his big gains that way he'll be less effective , IMO all the penalties were probably scrutinized and Fish likely called most everyone out for them, we committed like 12 penalties that's 2 short of the average number of penalties (14) for both teams combined last year and twice as many yards as Minnesota . Kinda think if I was coaching them I'd tell them all about how bad they hurt us.