Is Sony Michel in danger of missing the Lions game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Is Sony Michel in danger of missing the Lions game?​

Sean McVay gave an update on Michel’s shoulder on Wednesday

By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Oct 20, 2021,
usa_today_16885724.0.jpg

The LA Rams have been grateful for running back Sony Michel’s presence this season, especially now knowing that Jake Funk will miss the remainder of the year with a torn hamstring. Michel has 54 carries for 205 yards and a touchdown over six games but recently suffered a shoulder injury that could have put him in danger of missing Week 7’s contest against the Detroit Lions. Head coach Sean McVay addressed Michel’s injury concern to reporters on Wednesday, expressing a belief that Michel will be ready to go on Sunday.

Darrell Henderson received 90 percent of the snaps three games ago, then 66 percent, then played in 82 percent most recently against the New York Giants.

Michel has played 10 percent, 34 percent, and 18 percent of the snaps in those same contests, respectively. Over the last two games, Michel has 20 carries for 79 yards, an average just shy of four yards per carry. He has also scored one touchdown, but had a costly fumble against the Arizona Cardinals.

Fans should expect Henderson to get the bulk of the workload against Detroit, but if the Rams manage to pull away against an 0-6 team, Michel could become the main back in the second half.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With so many injuries to our RB's ....RB Cam Akers out for the year, RB Xavier Jones out for the year, RB Raymond Calais out for the year, Jake Funk out for the year now Sony Michel out for this weeks game should not be the question who will be #2 or #3 Buddy Howell or Javian Hawkins?

I think this would be a great game to get Bryce Perkins highly involved in the running game. When you only have one RB Henderson that has run the football in this offense seems like the next guy up to handle the football would be Perkins.

Perkins is dangerous as a runner when extending plays and taking off with the ball in his hands. He is 6-3 215 pounds! Snead going to BADLY need to restock his RB coral in the 2022 DRAFT.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
I just hope it's an ass kicking like it should be and we can play Howell a lot in the second half for a test drive.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Would be a good game to test drive some young talent if we get to a comfortable lead. It's amazing how many injuries we've had at the position

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
With so many injuries to our RB's ....RB Cam Akers out for the year, RB Xavier Jones out for the year, RB Raymond Calais out for the year, Jake Funk out for the year now Sony Michel out for this weeks game should not be the question who will be #2 or #3 Buddy Howell or Javian Hawkins?

I think this would be a great game to get Bryce Perkins highly involved in the running game. When you only have one RB Henderson that has run the football in this offense seems like the next guy up to handle the football would be Perkins.

Perkins is dangerous as a runner when extending plays and taking off with the ball in his hands. He is 6-3 215 pounds! Snead going to BADLY need to restock his RB coral in the 2022 DRAFT.
Bryce Perkins, the third string QB?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 2021 RB nightmare continues. If you gotta rest Michel though do it we're gonna need him.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

Hey Boni,
Do you think a room with Cam, Hendo and Michel would suffice with X, Ray or Funk as a ST contributor and #4 while one of the remaining go on PS if eligible?
I do think we will still draft one but we may have a room if they are healthy and not overpriced

dang

Legend
Hey Boni,
Do you think a room with Cam, Hendo and Michel would suffice with X, Ray or Funk as a ST contributor and #4 while one of the remaining go on PS if eligible?
I do think we will still draft one but we may have a room if they are healthy and not overpriced
I think the emergence of 3rd/4th string running backs (see D Johnson for Browns, J Robinson Jaguars) stepping up when called on is emphasizing the fact there are many options for good RBs. And they won’t break the bank or require an R1/R2 draft pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Boni,
I sure would not go into 2022 with Cam Akers being considered a #2 or even #3 Ram RB going into the 2022 season. No way to really know if he can even run a straight line for 20 ft in less than 2 minutes his future.

RB Darrell Henderson will be in his last contractual season as a Ram. Chances are he will be the #1 contender as our primary workhorse but just one yr & if then IF he can remain healthy something always lurking with Hendo.

RB Sony Micheal & his bags of football injuries will sign a contract elsewhere.

You might have a good 4th RB between Raymond Calais, Xavier Jone & Jake Funk. Good chance all 3 will have some type of seriously damaged part or components.

RB Buddy Howell & Javian Hawkins....who?

I believe completely that the Rams future 2022 pending RB Room with what we know currently might be one of the worse in the NFL.

On the bright side sure looks like there is sure room for great improvement.

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I thought Once-A-Ram was asking who would be #3 if Michel was unable to go.

Howell would be #2, and (guessing) Javian Hawkins could be activated from the Practice Squad to be #3.

I didn't realize Sony might not play. What a mess!