Interesting Saffold Bit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rotoworld via PFW

The Rams are toying with the idea of moving LT Rodger Saffold inside to left guard in 2013.

As soon as Saffold was drafted in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft, specualtion began as to where he would line up on offense. He has the length to play left tackle, but he has always been better suited to play right tackle or move inside to guard. In his rookie season, Saffold was a major surprise for the 7-9 Rams, surrendering just three sacks on Sam Bradford's blind side. His play was completely different in 2011, as he graded out very poorly and gave up 11 sacks in just 10 games played. St. Louis doesn't have an heir apparent left tackle on their roster right now, but it will certainly be a position they target early in the 2013 Draft. Saffold has been sidelined since Week 2 with a knee injury.

I had not ever really thought of him as an OG. I like OGs to typically be a bit more powerful and nasty. That's not to say he couldn't succeed on the inside tho. I suppose it would make sense to utilize his talents somewhere along the line should we target a LT early in the draft next year.

IMO his positional fate will be determined by how he preforms when he returns from his knee injury. 2010/12 Saffold = LT; 2011 Saffold = LG

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They got that from Pro Football Weekly....

Our Rams sources are starting to think OLT Rodger Saffold, still on the mend from a knee injury, could be moved to left guard next season. As for newly acquired ex-Bear and former first-round draft pick Chris Williams, who has played every position but center at the pro level, we hear it remains to be seen exactly where he will play for the Rams. Word is the big reason Williams chose the Rams over a couple of suitors, including the division-rival Cardinals, was head coach Jeff Fisher, whom Williams admired as the Titans’ head coach when Williams played at Vanderbilt.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/1 ... -nonfactor
Their "sources." Mmkay. Their sources also tell them they have no idea where Chris Williams will fit in.

Riveting.

I'm not sure it makes much sense either. Nothing wrong with Saffold as an OT, IMO.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I would hope that this staff continues to try to find the best 8 lineman.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think it's more likely to see him move to RT if we get a better LT, I don't really see him as a guard though. But we'll see what happens.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Saffold was playing really good at LT before he got injured. I hope he stays at LT because I don't see him as a guard at all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Young Ram said:
Saffold was playing really good at LT before he got injured. I hope he stays at LT because I don't see him as a guard at all.
I don't either. I don't know if they've ever worked him there at any point in his career, so this is probably just all horse shit. But then again, you never know. He could do a Robert Gallery and we'll all be happy. Or. Again. This story is all horse shit.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Young Ram said:
I don't either. I don't know if they've ever worked him there at any point in his career, so this is probably just all horse shit. But then again, you never know. He could do a Robert Gallery and we'll all be happy. Or. Again. This story is all horse shit.
A lot so so called experts projected Saffold as a guard going into the NFL. The Rams are probably just intrigued with Barksdale and Williams, but it's all too early to make any assumptions, or for them to make moves. All that stuff will play itself out, but they really should entertain any possibility.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
X said:
Young Ram said:
A lot so so called experts projected Saffold as a guard going into the NFL. The Rams are probably just intrigued with Barksdale and Williams, but it's all too early to make any assumptions, or for them to make moves. All that stuff will play itself out, but they really should entertain any possibility.

IMO the way the draft falls will determine more than Barksdale's or Williams' play.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
Young Ram said:

IMO the way the draft falls will determine more than Barksdale's or Williams' play.
I partially agree. But I also think how they play could determine the top of the draft. If they play well, it could allow us to take the BPA if it's a close call.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So where we at now? We lost our RT and RG this game.

Is that 4 backups now on the right side?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Can any of you block?
I kept my friend from getting laid once. Does that count?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We are like the cast of Lost.

Never seen so many injuries to one group. Really, again? Starting to look like 2011 reboot.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
So where we at now? We lost our RT and RG this game.

Is that 4 backups now on the right side?
Well, doesn't that "balance out" the left side? Afterall if they have backups on the left, shouldn't they have them on the right as well to keep them from tilting to one side?

Think I'll go hold my breath now for awhile. :bummed:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
We are like the cast of Lost.

Never seen so many injuries to one group. Really, again? Starting to look like 2011 reboot.
Agreed, by my reckoning last year, we lost 14 "O" players between the tackles and TE. This year we're running a little behind since only Watkins has been lost for the year. Although I'm beginning to wonder if Wells will ever return.....seems like a slow healer, wish I had his salary. So we're dinged, but not dead (at least not yet).

Thank heaven for the bye.