Interesting Draft thought from another board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I thought this post was insightful. What if we didn't have the Redskins pick? Then we probably don't draft Donald. It's hard to see them taking Donald and passing on Zach Martin, especially when they said they had Martin rated higher than Matthews. So thanks to the RG3 trade, we end up with Robinson and Donald instead of just Martin. That's a powerful difference.

Rams43

Let's just say that this '14 draft was a "normal" one for the Rams. That we only had our #13 overall pick in the 1st, in other words.
Let's also say that we have the benefit of knowing how highly S/F had graded Zack Martin.
Here's the question...
At #13 do they not feel obligated to address our OL need with Martin?
Forced to pass on Donald because of the lesser need at DL?
Of course, it's unknowable to a certainty, but I do believe that Martin would have been the pick.
What a blessing that Washington pick was in this particular draft, huh?
Gonna seem strange having only one pick in future 1st rounds. Lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interesting thought.

And... Perhaps spot on.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Of course if the Redskins had the #2 overall selection and picked someone other than Robinson, many of the other selections might have changed, too.

jjab360

Legend
I really think they still would've gone with Donald. He is an elite player, imo, Martin is just a very good one. There were plenty of other OLers in this draft, really good ones went between the second and fifth round.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really think they still would've gone with Donald. He is an elite player, imo, Martin is just a very good one. There were plenty of other OLers in this draft, really good ones went between the second and fifth round.

Agreed, Fish and Snead would have stuck to their board, which had Donald very high (7th). There would have been other OL options they could pursue, from trading up for Martin to a 2nd rounder being used etc.

But it sure is nice to have Robinson onboard too eh? Thanks Redskins!