"impressions" from another board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Some impressions
All these are opinions, subject to change upon recognition of greater intelligence
smilie1.gif

Overall:
1. The Rams O line looks like the know what they are doing every play--Jamon even seems to know!!; despite their size, they don't look like maulers. Howver, in the 4th the Jags defensive line was just wasted and we stomped on them late....like the old days with Pankey, Hill, Smith, Harrah and Slater, oh my...hohhoho, playoffs (50% chance).
2. Doug Marrone didn't adjust the defense one stupid bit; Rams ran the same plays, and the LBers never came up and filled; Actually, they didn't bite on play action, which means they are ready to fill passing lanes, not stop the run--thus a top 5 team against the pass (31??). ANd, Marrone never adjusted, maybe because Bortles can't, when we dominated at the point of attack. NO change up...they were losing at half, and din't come out and do anything different or good. Bad, bad coaching.

3. The Jags offense gave the Rams D 'one look' in the running game. YOu can't do that to Brockers and Donald...they clearly out-thought the Jags O line and made them look stupid. Impressive, but I don't think other teams will make it so easy. By the way, it reminded me of the 1970s 'bad' teams that tried to run on the Rams. Dryer and Youngblood were 220 and 235, but no one every ran on them consistently....they had better technique and intelligence....same with DOnald and Brockers---who both are brutally tough, too!

4. It looks like we are more focusing on not turning the ball over in the passing game; no risks, really--even when we went long, it was max protect, so no big sacks given up; and, this is a John Robinson philosophy when playing inferior teams that always leads to 10-6 seasons....which we might attain, if we beat theCards and Giants coming up.

5. I do like how I have no idea what play will be next; they don't go to Gurley in the flat every game, nor to Higbee every game, nor to Kupp in the slot every game; you can't predict, and that is important. Also, McVay will become a better game day coach...he is 31....I expect even more.

6. Not impressed with the lack of sustaining drives by the offense; against the Seahawks, we didn't score, but we sustained drives, controlled the ball, and got in to the red zone 6 times....that was impressive---this game was pretty awful, and near Fish level.
7. Special teams: best in the NFL yesterday, right? ANd, I wanted to cut Cooper, I am really, really wrong about him.

D Line:
Love Smart- dspite him being onlyt 300lbs or so, he does great. He can't handle double teams so, so well, but man he doesn't give up: he twists, turns, maneuvers to get to that ball carrier. Love this guy; think next year he could be like DOnald in playing style...or not
smilie3.gif

Brockers: the man. He can not be pushed off the ball more than 1 step, no matter the O lineman.
Donald:messing with those o lineman--as always.
Walker looked tough, and had one great move on the center to pressure Bortles on an important play

LBs:
Quinn: Mr 1/2 a trick pony made about 4-5 nice moves; the rest is ridonkulous.
Barron: the stud of the back 8. He is THE man; he is tough and instinctual, made a great play against two O lineman on a screen.

D backs:
John Johnson: not impressed with his tackling, physicality or 'choices' on some plays....and yet, when the ball is in the air he is very good, it seems. Reminds me of Sharper---another mediocre tackling safety (yes, I remember the Dallas tackle to end the game; one tackle not maketh the man).
Webster: when he came back, the defense went to the next level. Big difference.
Tru Jo: good enough. HE ain't coming back next year....no,no,no way.

Offense:
Gurley: he looked a bit different--better. More moves and cuts....but, he looks tired...maybe I am wrong.
Watkins: I am not so down on him; teams still have to watch him; without him, everything gets tight, because no one is afraid of Woods and Kupp. Mike Thomas could change that.
Tavon Austin: he is what he is....and it seems like a nice distraction for the defense....sadly that is it.

Goff is the same Goff from games 1-4, but the circumstances that surrounded him were much, much different. So, Goff had to become a game manager yesterday---and, that was predeteremined before the game, I believe.. Made some important throws when he had to to Woods and Kupp. He did good enough. THe errant deep throws are a bummer, and a bit of a suprise, but when Sammy starts getting in step, then we will have an offense.
The TEs: blocking seems to be adequate....bummer on the Everett hold...but, no surprise.

Some Rams look 'tired'....

I am going to watch the Cards tonight.....hmm AP is back...well, well...is the AZ O line still bad, or did they pummel Tampa, or what? I gotta find out...