If Rams cut Michael Sam, his NFL options would be few (one?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Vinnie Iyer
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...son-roster-cut-release-cowboys-vikings-giants

Michael Sam just made his NFL preseason debut with the St. Louis Rams. There's still a good chance he won't play in a regular-season game for them.

After the rookie seventh-rounder's first live action against the Saints on Friday night, in which he recorded one tackle and one quarterback hurry from defensive end, he exuded great confidence.

“I can play in this league,” Sam told reporters. "That’s the most important. I was kind of nervous. I got some nerves out today. It was a very good learning experience, and I can play in this league.”

Maybe he could — but it's becoming more obvious it won't be for this team.

The numbers game in St. Louis haven't been in Sam's favor since he got the draft call in May.

Robert Quinn and Chris Long are the elite starters at defensive end. Veterans William Hayes and Eugene Sims are the projected backups. Sam's chief competition, undrafted fellow rookie Ethan Westbrooks, has been better than Sam in camp. Westbrooks backed that up by being Pro Football Focus' highest-graded defensive end in the enitre league from Week 1 of the preseason. Sam was tied for a not bad 50th, a few notches behind Long.

But Sam needs to be a lot better, on both defense and special teams, to avoid being among the Rams' final camp cuts. The problem is, even though he's been in better shape and shown his nonstop motor off the edge, he's limited to being a 4-3 end.

Before the draft, teams such as the Packers, Jets, Ravens and Steelers were all mentioned as good landing spots for Sam. Those, however, are all base 3-4 teams, and Sam's second chance wouldn't come just because of some relentlessness and quickness. His pass rush and pursuit are positives, but considering even explosive No. 1 pick Jadeveon Clowney is having some early coverage troubles, Sam is just not athletic enough to drop back as an outside linebacker.

254663-330-0.jpg

Michael Sam (AP Photo)

It would take a desperate 4-3 team to add Sam late. Half of the teams in the NFL run that as a base.

Like the Rams, the Bills, Panthers, Bears, Bengals, Broncos, Raiders, Lions and Seahawks all look too deep and strong at his position. The Patriots had been mentioned as pre-draft consideration, but it's hard to see Bill Belichick taking a flyer on a non-versatile end for his hybrid defense.

That leaves six possible teams. The Dolphins went into camp with a shaky backup situation behind Cameron Wake, Olivier Vernon and second-year first-rounder Dion Jordan. Unfortunately for Sam, they have also been helped by the league's most impressive rookie seventh-round end: Terrence Fede. Sam's chances elsewhere in Florida with either the Buccaneers or Jaguars aren't much better.

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was one of Sam's strongest supporters when the latter came out publicly as gay. Defensive-minded coach Mike Zimmer likes having a deep quiver of attack players. However, behind starters Everson Griffen and Brian Robison, Corey Wootton and rookie third-round pick Scott Crichton—both much more versatile than Sam — are locks. Even though the preseason play has yet to show it, the Vikings are in great shape overall on their defensive line.

It would be down, then, to two teams in the NFC East if the Rams aren't Sam's team.

The Giants are known in their best seasons for their solid defensive end depth. They aren't quite the same at the position going into 2014, leaving the door only slightly ajar for a player such as Sam. They've got Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathias Kiwanuka, Damontre Moore and Robert Ayers as the top four; the first question is if they would want to carry five ends instead of five tackles. That's unlikely because starting tackle Mike Patterson is battling a bad shoulder.

The Cowboys have so many front four questions, they may carry double-digit linemen on their final 53-man roster. Their most promising rookie, DeMarcus Lawrence, is out through at least all of September with a broken foot. Their pass rush remains awful enough to consider giving Sam a second chance if they're not happy with all they have now post-DeMarcus Ware.

All in all, Sam has his best NFL shot in the next few weeks with the Rams. If he's not in the league come Week 1, it just would be all harsh football business, nothing personal.

Alan

Legend
Nonsense. If he doesn't make the 53 he'll make the PS. So that's two teams already. But really, that's just piss poor analysis of the situation IMO.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Crock of shit. Sam will have suitors. Players are going to get hurt, players are gonna be busts, teams would come calling. Assuming Sam can keep progressing, he shouldn't have any issues latching onto another team if he doesn't make it here.

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't think he makes the Rams final 53...he's not going to make the DLine. Practice squad??? Maybe...but if he thinks he can play...why accept a PS position? Make the rounds and see if you can earn a spot.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Oh the omnipresent PFF rankings which always seem to be gospel for writers who have no clue as to what they are watching. Just go to the PFF rankings and make it up as you go from there. I wonder if this guy even bothered, (or PFF for that matter) to take note that two of the 3 tackles he was credited with came from the DT position.. And to make the comment he has out performed Sam at training camp? Really, in the 3 practices he's had since he was activated from the Non-football injured list. WOW! .....and I can only assume these guys get paid for this.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nonsense. If he doesn't make the 53 he'll make the PS. So that's two teams already. But really, that's just pee pee poor analysis of the situation IMO.
Well, in order to make it to our practice squad, he'd have to clear waivers. So that would mean 31 teams would have to pass on him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oh the omnipresent PFF rankings which always seem to be gospel for writers who have no clue as to what they are watching. Just go to the PFF rankings and make it up as you go from there. I wonder if this guy even bothered, (or PFF for that matter) to take note that two of the 3 tackles he was credited with came from the DT position.. And to make the comment he has out performed Sam at training camp? Really, in the 3 practices he's had since he was activated from the Non-football injured list. WOW! .....and I can only assume these guys get paid for this.
I don't follow. Sam outperformed Sam?
I'm sure they saw his play, considering they attached the video of his tackles to the article.

I think people need to slow down a little and just read the meat of the article. He's mentioning possible suitors (in detail) and wondering aloud if he'd be a good fit for those teams *if* he were to get released by the Rams.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
And to make the comment he has out performed Sam at training camp? Really, in the 3 practices he's had since he was activated from the Non-football injured list. WOW! .....and I can only assume these guys get paid for this.

This was my thought as soon as I read that line.

Alan

Legend
-X- with this:
Well, in order to make it to our practice squad, he'd have to clear waivers. So that would mean 31 teams would have to pass on him.
That's still two teams that would be interested in him being on their teams, so his options would still include at least two and not just one team like Iyer claimed.

I also think there would be interest, assuming he continues to look as good or better than he does now, from more than just one other team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's still two teams that would be interested in him being on their teams, so his options would still include at least two and not just one team like Iyer claimed.

I also think there would be interest, assuming he continues to look as good or better than he does now, from more than just one other team.
I'm totally confused by this thread for some reason. lol. What two teams are you talking about if he clears waivers and ends up back on the Rams? That aside, I do agree with you. I don't think he'll clear waivers if he continues to play like he did a few days ago.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm totally confused by this thread for some reason. lol. What two teams are you talking about if he clears waivers and ends up back on the Rams? That aside, I do agree with you. I don't think he'll clear waivers if he continues to play like he did a few days ago.
Yea, I am also wondering who this "ONE" team is that the title indicates. They gave the Giants and Cowboys as two potential teams. They also said not the Vikings just because, gave no reason as to why not. So I'm not sure what to do with this?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Yea, I am also wondering who this "ONE" team is that the title indicates. They gave the Giants and Cowboys as two potential teams. They also said not the Vikings just because, gave no reason as to why not. So I'm not sure what to do with this?

It's confusing but they said the giants adding him was unlikely. Because of the depth they have at DT. Adding a 5th DE would be unlikely. The title is a crock anyways. He could make a bunch of practice squads for fun.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I guess anyone can be a writer as long as they don't have another job just the same as all you have to do to be a "pro" poker player is be unemployed and play the game.:shades:
The writer obviously doesn't know Westbrooks has missed most of camp.
He couldn't have actually watched the game and come to the conclusion that SAm is way behind Westbrooks.
He obviously has never heard of special teams and isn't aware of THAT being Sam's best shot at making the team.
Just poor writing:palm:

Alan

Legend
-X- dazed and confused:
Iyer's point is that if Sam doesn't make our roster he'll only have one option left to remain in the NFL. I'm saying that if he doesn't make our roster he'll have at least two options. Those two options will be to accept a contract from whatever team Iyer was talking about (I stopped reading the article before I got to the name of the team he was talking about) or to accept an offer from the Rams to join our PS. So that's two options and not just one like he asserts.

As for CoachO (here I go talking for him again), I think he's talking about Westbrook. Westbrook is the only guy who might bump Sam off the final 53 and Westbrook has only participated in like 3 practices and the game..

That probably didn't hep but it's the best I could do. Considering. :LOL:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't follow. Sam outperformed Sam?
I'm sure they saw his play, considering they attached the video of his tackles to the article.

I think people need to slow down a little and just read the meat of the article. He's mentioning possible suitors (in detail) and wondering aloud if he'd be a good fit for those teams *if* he were to get released by the Rams.

I was referring to Westbrooks,, to which the article quoted as "outperforming Sam in Training camp so far"...

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Just a general comment... I like Sam's want to be a player. I think he is willing to do ANYTHING to make A NFL 53 man team. My eyes tell me he is on the short end of the numbers stick in St Louis but I believe he is expanding his options (tape) by being a football guy that OTHER tems will be interested in because he will prove to be more assignment responsible than most.

fancents86

Starter
As much as id love the kid to be on the Rams, he has so much potential I'd hate to see it wasted by sitting on the bench as a back up.