If he only had a brain.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramaslama

would he have turned out to be a stud running back Lawrence Phillips. If he was half as smart as M faulk would he have turned out to be a great rb. How much would that have changed the rams. I n my opinion a lot.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If I wasn't mistaken, this post almost seems like trolling. I wasn't even a Rams fan when that loser was on the team. Why bring it up now?

SierraRam

Recreational User
Uh... if your talkin' with the Wizard, pick up a heart and some courage for Larry, too. You'll find him in a California prison for the next 30 years.

upload_2014-7-12_21-36-29.jpeg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I for one was super excited when the Rams drafted him. And he started off with two rushing TDs his first game, so I figured he was gonna be a stud. If he had his head on straight, he could have been one of the greats. Unfortunately, he didn't. So he wasn't. And now he's nothing.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Phillips was missing a lot more than a brain. He obviously didn't have a heart, and it takes no courage to run over three defenseless teens with a car.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If only we drafted Eddie George instead of Phillips. Then if we only drafted Kennison instead of Harrison.

There wasn't much better than Banks at QB, so we couldn't have fixed everything, but those two draft re-do's would have fundamentally altered Rams history... maybe for the worse.

Of course, I still don't understand why Bettis was run out of town, so there's that too.

ramaslama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I wasn't mistaken, this post almost seems like trolling. I wasn't even a Rams fan when that loser was on the team. Why bring it up now?

how is this trolling? We are in a dead period for football. There has been a lot of people on this board that's been rams fans for a very long time. Iv been rams fan since 1994. Why bring it up why not.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I remember him differently than some.
I was excited when we drafted him, but when I saw him in nfl games, he seemed to have poor vision a balance. He would usually go down by the first man that touched him.
He wasn't terrible, but he was nothing special IMO.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I was in my early stage of being a Ram fan when they drafted him(was 12 years old), so didnt really know much about the draft or him.

I do know Vermeil said of him that he was potentially the best rb he ever coached. And by looking at his stats he basically had a td for every 100 rushing yards, which is pretty damn good(1,453 yards, 14 td's).

Now here is where it gets curious. If he had his head on straight even a bit and stayed out of trouble and the Rams never released him, they most likely dont go after Faulk. Would the GSOT still of happened if he had stayed out of trouble and the Rams kept him and never went after Faulk? Would they still of won the SB? Was his mistakes part of the perfect storm that brought the Lombardi to St. Louis?

Its all hypothetical of course, but as you said, it is the dead period and not much Rams news. I think its a good solid question to wonder about during this dead time.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I was in my early stage of being a Ram fan when they drafted him(was 12 years old), so didnt really know much about the draft or him.

I do know Vermeil said of him that he was potentially the best rb he ever coached. And by looking at his stats he basically had a td for every 100 rushing yards, which is pretty damn good(1,453 yards, 14 td's).

Now here is where it gets curious. If he had his head on straight even a bit and stayed out of trouble and the Rams never released him, they most likely dont go after Faulk. Would the GSOT still of happened if he had stayed out of trouble and the Rams kept him and never went after Faulk? Would they still of won the SB? Was his mistakes part of the perfect storm that brought the Lombardi to St. Louis?

Its all hypothetical of course, but as you said, it is the dead period and not much Rams news. I think its a good solid question to wonder about during this dead time.
The same thing applies to my scenario.

If we drafted George instead, we probably pass on Faulk. If we drafted Harrison instead, we probably pass on Holt.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The same thing applies to my scenario.

If we drafted George instead, we probably pass on Faulk. If we drafted Harrison instead, we probably pass on Holt.
Agreed. If we made those moves instead, who knows what would have happened. I think Harrison would have been a good fit and we still win it all, because he was a good route runner and smart receiver and would have been a good #2, who knows though. George on the other hand, although a great back, isnt an all around amazing back like Faulk. Without Faulk, dont think we win it. He was on a completely different level overall than anyone at the time.

Simba

Rookie
Lawrence "who"?I don't remember a "21 Rams Jersey" in 1996 and 1997.I deleted it from my memory ... :cry::confused:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
This is one of those 'what-if' questions and one we will never know the answer to. Lawrence Phillips was truly an amazing RB and could well have been a true NFL stud - BUT and it's a big BUT... the guy was/is an idiot, with his head not screwed on properly at all, definite anger issues and seems to be generally a bad egg - maybe he needed help (mentally) I don't know, but the list of things the guy did wrong sounds like he had core mental / behavioural issues.

Would the rams have been a better team with him - don't know, I think we did ok with Faulk...

As Tron said it's all hypothetical, but a decent filler in this dead time...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hated the pick. Felt it was a waste right away, but I am never a fan of low character picks. I also didn't think he was anywhere near as productive in the pros as he was in college. A TD for every 100 yards is not that impressive. Two or three would be impressive. I agree with Dodgers in that I thought he would be tougher to take down.

Take anything that Vermeil says with a grain of salt. He is the eternal optimist and he always sees the best in people.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Agreed. If we made those moves instead, who knows what would have happened. I think Harrison would have been a good fit and we still win it all, because he was a good route runner and smart receiver and would have been a good #2, who knows though. George on the other hand, although a great back, isnt an all around amazing back like Faulk. Without Faulk, dont think we win it. He was on a completely different level overall than anyone at the time.
Maybe, but then with Bruce and Harrison as our starting WR/George as our RB, I don't think we finish in a position to trade up for Pace. Now you're talking about trying to get the GSOT without Pace, with George instead of Faulk, and perhaps without Az-Hakim as we may not be looking at WR at all in 1998.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Maybe, but then with Bruce and Harrison as our starting WR/George as our RB, I don't think we finish in a position to trade up for Pace. Now you're talking about trying to get the GSOT without Pace, with George instead of Faulk, and perhaps without Az-Hakim as we may not be looking at WR at all in 1998.

That's the thing with what-if scenarios. We might have been a good team if Phillips panned out, but would we have put together a team good enough to win a SuperBowl?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I remember him differently than some.
I was excited when we drafted him, but when I saw him in nfl games, he seemed to have poor vision a balance. He would usually go down by the first man that touched him.
He wasn't terrible, but he was nothing special IMO.

^ this. Excited at first. But he wasn't a dominant runner against NFL competition.

Rambition

Rookie
I hated the pick. Felt it was a waste right away, but I am never a fan of low character picks.
it would have been hard to find an example of a college player from that entire era whose behavior screamed more loudly "i am a disaster waiting to happen" than LP. the people in charge should have known better, and thus i felt bringing him here in spite of that brought shame to the organization. incredibly, even this didn't result in the rams being any wiser for the experience, picking the thug ryan tucker not long thereafter.