If Dexter Lawrence is Available?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
If Dexter Lawrence is available when the Rams pick in the 1st Round can they pass him up? He seems to me to be the perfect player in the Rams 3-4 next to Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd take Simmons before Lawrence, but I wouldn't be upset with Lawrence as a pick.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I'd like the Rams to trade down if they can get a mild premium for doing so, it also depends on whether there is a player available the team thinks will be a star. Lawrence might be one of those.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. I'd pass on him for a handful of guys.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Depends on who’s available, but yea he’s on a small list of guys you stay in round 1 for. I read a bit about his PED positive test, if the Rams can clarify that it was a one-off and that the kid hasn’t relied on these in the past to be the talent he is then I grab him. Nothing like another Tony Mandarich to ruin your draft lol.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends on who else is available but I might be fielding trade offers. I like the guy and think he'll be a good NT in the league but not sure it's a Wade type guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll bite Jrry. Name the handful of guys you'd pick before Dexter.

Okay, I'll list guys who could possibly be there:
Jeff Simmons DT Mississippi State
Devin Bush ILB Michigan
Jachai Polite OLB Florida
Nasir Adderley FS Delaware

There are some others whom I am still pondering because it's a closer call (Chauncey Gardner, Taylor Rapp, the OL guys (ex. Bradbury), and a couple CBs).

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think we've met with him as one of our top 30? So I don't think we draft him. But personally I run to the podium. Planting him next to Donald will take care of any potential effort issues. Also sets our DL for the next three-four years with JFM taking over for Brock next year

Ram65

Legend
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4...fl-draft-2019-scouting-report-clemson-defense

I was hoping the Rams would pick him. He might not be the perfect fit as a run defender that may be only a two down player. I do think he could get down some in weight without losing much strength. He might develop a few pass rush moves that would make him a better pass rusher. Having him next to Donald could make the defensive line effective in both run and pass downs. Could be a trade down is in order. I'm tired of teams running up the middle of the defense. While Donald gets doubled and tripled teamed Lawrence can be very disruptive one on one with any interior offensive lineman.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4...fl-draft-2019-scouting-report-clemson-defense

I was hoping the Rams would pick him. He might not be the perfect fit as a run defender that may be only a two down player. I do think he could get down some in weight without losing much strength. He might develop a few pass rush moves that would make him a better pass rusher. Having him next to Donald could make the defensive line effective in both run and pass downs. Could be a trade down is in order. I'm tired of teams running up the middle of the defense. While Donald gets doubled and tripled teamed Lawrence can be very disruptive one on one with any interior offensive lineman.
Let's say Wade & Henderson run out this trio as our starters

5 tech- Franklin 6-4/287
NT- Brockers 6-5/305
3 tech- Donald 6-0/270?

This unit is ultra light & would be the smallest in the NFL. The current reserves are also on the small size too:

Tanzel Smart 6-1/290 3rd season
Morgan Fox 6-3 275 4th season
Joseph-Day 6-4/310 first season.

A Dexter Lawrence selection by the Rams would be a good fit to offer some outstanding size & run stopping power into this DL rotation. Sure would give Henderson some options with Brockers who can play any of the 3 starting posts. John Franklin-Myers can swing from 3 tech to 5 tech posts easy enough too. Finally, it gives Wade the chance to have two NT's ready to take over the NT post (Lawrence/Joseph-Day) when Brockers end up his contract @ the end of this season.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Let's say Wade & Henderson run out this trio as our starters

5 tech- Franklin 6-4/287
NT- Brockers 6-5/305
3 tech- Donald 6-0/270?

This unit is ultra light & would be the smallest in the NFL. The current reserves are also on the small size too:

Tanzel Smart 6-1/290 3rd season
Morgan Fox 6-3 275 4th season
Joseph-Day 6-4/310 first season.

Doesn't seem like much beef is there. We don't know what the plans are as far as Brockers at NT. D'Marco Farr recently stated that J-D has been working out this off season 5 days a week at Rams training center and looks big and strong. He could be the big surprise in camp. If not Lawrence the Rams need to find someone to beef up the D line and add depth as well.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I don't think we've met with him as one of our top 30? So I don't think we draft him. But personally I run to the podium. Planting him next to Donald will take care of any potential effort issues. Also sets our DL for the next three-four years with JFM taking over for Brock next year

Let’s not forget, draft season is a lot like poker, we can’t be willing to show our hand too much. In years past, on many occasions, we drafted players who didn’t stop in for a visit. We have to keep our interest low so no one hops in front of us for him if he’s our guy!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let’s not forget, draft season is a lot like poker, we can’t be willing to show our hand too much. In years past, on many occasions, we drafted players who didn’t stop in for a visit. We have to keep our interest low so no one hops in front of us for him if he’s our guy!

Possibly. Last season the top 5 picks and 6 of the top 7 had visited apparently. It's also important to find out as much as possible about the guys you're interested in.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Okay, I'll list guys who could possibly be there:
Jeff Simmons DT Mississippi State
Devin Bush ILB Michigan
Jachai Polite OLB Florida
Nasir Adderley FS Delaware

There are some others whom I am still pondering because it's a closer call (Chauncey Gardner, Taylor Rapp, the OL guys (ex. Bradbury), and a couple CBs).

I like this list, I think they'd have much more impact at their position groups than Lawrence, who I'd still be happy with btw.
If Devin Bush is still there, run to the podium. Actually if he's still there at #28 / #29, we should put a package together somehow.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Devin Bush is still there, run to the podium. Actually if he's still there at #28 / #29, we should put a package together somehow.

I'm just happy they signed Matthews, who I expect to get a good amount of time at ILB. I doubt they draft a stud for ILB - at least not unless he just drops in their lap. If he does, even then they won't run to the podium - they'll be having a fierce debate about it, most likely, while the phone was ringing off the hook with trade offers.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In another thread someone pointed out that most of our picks last year were guys that we met with.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In another thread someone pointed out that most of our picks last year were guys that we met with.
While that may have been the case last year, it is hardly a given. I think they plan visits with players they want more info on or get a better feel.

I'm sure there are players on their list with no visits planned .

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While that may have been the case last year, it is hardly a given. I think they plan visits with players they want more info on or get a better feel.

I'm sure there are players on their list with no visits planned .

I'm sure you're right, but it's also very likely that their first round pick is someone from that top 30. I think it more likely the latter rounds would be players not in for visits.