I need some help from tech nerds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm lookin into gettin a new desktop (PC only...no Apple @ all), I have a pretty good idea of what I want (brand, CPU, RAM, etc), it's just a matter of finding it and for the right price. My question is about those all in one desktops. Are they worth it, or just better to get the good ole reliable tower? I'm a little nervous about those all in ones, if something goes wrong the whole computer messes up.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My experience would be to get a tower. Much easier to replace things if you need be.

As for what to get, pretty much with computers I look to newegg.com..... Good prices, and they really know their stuff. I have some friends who are really good with computers, that's where they get all their stuff. They like to pick and choose things though to fully customize everything, but I know if you don't want to go through the trouble of picking out things individually, you can get some good computers prebuilt at good prices.

That would be my best advice.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Once I got my first laptop 7 years ago, I never looked back. The all-in-ones are cool as hell though. Basically a giant laptop with a keyboard. And if it's longevity you're worried about, you can forget just about every computer. They're all outmoded within 5 years anyway. Just get you a laptop and be one of the cool kids.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I think I'm just gonna stick with the tower from a store (I like to see things before I buy). And all in ones are too expensive. But, yeah they are cool to play with.

Oh and I have a laptop. I need a replacement for my old XP Sony desktop. I got it in 2005, and it's still runnin fine. Just takes some time to boot up.

Thanks guys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Aboot how long does it take to boot up? :yeh:

Check the paper, and if you have an Office Depot near you, they ALWAYS have desktops on clearance. Even if they're 6 months old, they're always clearing space for new inventory. You can save a couple hundred off of a desktop there on any given day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I got the hook-up right here, man.

[flv]http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/v/atari-home-computers-laserdisc-part1.flv[/flv]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why not a Laptop?

I'd recommend Lenovo.... best computer I've ever owned. You can get refurb'd & used ones that are better than most new ones made by others. I bought an used X61 bout 2 yrs ago (made in 2004 I think) just to have something small to carry around, instead of a Netbook - paid $170, upgraded hdd and now I have an awesome (and extremely powerful) machine that I use as an extra and for messing around at a cafe.

Just something to think about.

steferfootball

Starter
interference said:
Why not a Laptop?

I'd recommend Lenovo.... best computer I've ever owned. You can get refurb'd & used ones that are better than most new ones made by others. I bought an used X61 bout 2 yrs ago (made in 2004 I think) just to have something small to carry around, instead of a Netbook - paid $170, upgraded hdd and now I have an awesome (and extremely powerful) machine that I use as an extra and for messing around at a cafe.

Where'd you get this from?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
steferfootball said:
interference said:
Why not a Laptop?

Where'd you get this from?
I bought my X61 on ebay, and it included 9 mos of Lenovo warranty. Took a while to get such a great deal, but there are plenty of dual proc machines avail for around $250. I also got a docking station for another $40 so that I could just drop it in when I'm home. When home, we use it to stream HD movies to our flat panel in the bedroom... graphics card handles everything we've thrown at it so far.

I also got a 1 yr old T400 (biz class machine) for $520 on Craigslist, and it still has over 2yrs of full Lenovo onsite warranty. Only thing I regret about this machine is that it only has the Intel graphics onboard, and I would have preferred the dual switchable graphics. But given the price, I'm not complaining.

The thing I like about buying a used Lenovo machine is that I feel pretty secure as long as the machine still has plenty of warranty remaining. That way, any HW issue is most likely solveable at no cost, or at most, just shipping costs.

I would, however, love to get my hands on a X220 or an X1.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/think ... es/gallery
But given the great deals I've found on used machines, I don't think I'll be spending the extra money on a new machine any time soon.

Angry Ram

X said:
Aboot how long does it take to boot up? :yeh:

Check the paper, and if you have an Office Depot near you, they ALWAYS have desktops on clearance. Even if they're 6 months old, they're always clearing space for new inventory. You can save a couple hundred off of a desktop there on any given day.

Takes aboot 10 mins to get up and surfin on the internet. Time for an upgrade, eh? Gonna try to avoid Best Buy. Depot/Staples. I wish CompUSA were still around. Well, the stores anyway.

interference said:
Why not a Laptop?

I have a laptop. It's a Toshiba. And its awesome. I'm leaning torwards Lenovo, too. A new one, tho. I want the latest and greatest.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I have gone away from desktops. I essentially use my laptop as a desktop that I can take with me. I have an external HD, wireless keyboard, mouse, and printer.

If you are stuck on a desktop, HP has been putting out some pretty nice machines for a pretty good price lately. I talked to a friend of mine who is an engineer for HP and he was saying that they had a bit of an upheaval in their company and decided to go after the corporate and gaming market. He said they essentially were going after Dell by making faster, more durable computers for less money. I have to say that I am really pleased with my HPs that we use for both businesses and am likely going to be buying my wife one pretty soon. I've had Dells, Vaios, Toshibas, Gateways. These are the best computers I've had.

Angry Ram

lol guys, I have a laptop. It's only a couple years old.

I have to replace my desktop. It's like the central hub.

Brands I prefer in order: Lenovo, HP, Dell. The others are 2nd tier IMO.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
And here is your wallpaper for your new PC! :nau:

hot-bikini-girl.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:

Yeah, but do you have a laptop? You should get one of those. Alienware, to be specific.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
MontanaRamFan said:
And here is your wallpaper for your new PC! :nau:

hot-bikini-girl.jpg
This just boggles the mind. I mean, how did she even put that thing on, let alone get in that position.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Yeah, but do you have a laptop? You should get one of those. Alienware, to be specific.

Since Dell bought Alienware I would wonder if they will keep their edge. My son has an Alienware desktop from before Dell bought the company and it's a beast. It was kinda spendy but he loves it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Since Dell bought Alienware I would wonder if they will keep their edge. My son has an Alienware desktop from before Dell bought the company and it's a beast. It was kinda spendy but he loves it.

Great computers, but you pay an extra grand (minimum usually) just on name brand alone. I was looking at gaming computers and looked to those, one of my friends who works at geek squad flipped out. He ended up designing and building my computer to be just as good for under 2 grand (instead of 4-5) it was crazy when he gave me a final comparison.

Angry Ram

Leave it to Montana to distract my computer buying needs. :hehe: :tooth:

Alienwares are for gamers. Like this guy...

wow-gamer.jpg

But they are beastly.

Oh and I have a freakin laptop!! :pizzed: