I know this is a silly question, but....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wonderboy

Rookie
If you were Stan Kroenke and you decided NOT to clean house, who would you keep. I'll give you a specific example, please weigh in.

If Stan decided that he was going to keep one and get rid of one between Billy Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo, which one would he keep.

MORE IMPORTANTLY (since this is already a silly question), which one would you keep?

This is tough for me since I like both of these guys and have bought in to what they have been trying to do. It does seem unlikely that they both survive this season. In some ways I'd think it might be easier to bring in a new GM and keep most of the coaching staff in tact. But I don't know that "taking the easy way out" makes sense because then if the Rams struggle again next year you're likely to change the coaching staff then anyway.

Part of what peaks my interest in this subject (since I'm trying to look for other silver linings besides a high draft pick for the bizillionth year in a row) is the list of potentially strong GM candidates and head coaching candidates. Enough from me, what do you other experts on here think?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wonderboy said:
If you were Stan Kroenke and you decided NOT to clean house, who would you keep. I'll give you a specific example, please weigh in.

If Stan decided that he was going to keep one and get rid of one between Billy Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo, which one would he keep.

MORE IMPORTANTLY (since this is already a silly question), which one would you keep?

This is tough for me since I like both of these guys and have bought in to what they have been trying to do. It does seem unlikely that they both survive this season. In some ways I'd think it might be easier to bring in a new GM and keep most of the coaching staff in tact. But I don't know that "taking the easy way out" makes sense because then if the Rams struggle again next year you're likely to change the coaching staff then anyway.

Part of what peaks my interest in this subject (since I'm trying to look for other silver linings besides a high draft pick for the bizillionth year in a row) is the list of potentially strong GM candidates and head coaching candidates. Enough from me, what do you other experts on here think?

Expert? You must be talking to ME. Heh heh. :help:

Personally, I'd keep both for now but if I had to choose between them, I'd probably keep Spags. I think with another year and maybe a GM with some coaching experience, he could really become a very good coach. I do, however, think he needs some mentoring from someone besides Cofflin.

Wonderboy

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
Personally, I'd keep both for now but if I had to choose between them, I'd probably keep Spags. I think with another year and maybe a GM with some coaching experience, he could really become a very good coach. I do, however, think he needs some mentoring from someone besides Cofflin.

That's an interesting idea. So you could potentially bring in a football czar (or something like that) like the way the Dolphins did it a couple years ago with Parcells to oversee the whole operation and keep everybody else in tact for another year and let the new czar determine the best next steps after that. I like that idea... especially if it's an old coach that can not only mentor Billy D. from a personnel standpoint but also mentor Spags from a coaching standpoint. That's the best idea yet! :ww: Let's see if anybody else can come up with a better one.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Question: If we fire Spags, retain Devaney, how much influence will Kroenke have on hiring a new HC? Or would Devaney still have the final say? We need to remember that Kroenke was around when both these guys were hired. He was still a minority owner. When we see these changes for teams the new person in charge may want to bring in "their guys." Thats what Holmgren did in Cleveland, he gave Mangini and his staff a year, and then made changes. Its gonna be an interesting offseason for us.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
RealRamsFan said:
Wonderboy said:

I would keep Ken Flajoe , Josh Mcd, and BillyD

Reasons?

Ken F- Him and Spags have created a decent defense with old/marginal players. Just think if we revamp our OLB , DTs, and CB! Keep this system here and the coordinator who, by now, should have Spags tendencies down.

Josh McD - I still believe in his system. if Kyle Orton and Cutler can do it....so can Sam. I also do not want to see Sam in another offense.

Billy D - I think Billy has done an ok job. Sure the backup RB and WR situation has been a mess. But I think he tried to fix that with Gilyard, DX, Lloyd and Clayton. It didn't work out but I am a strong believer that DX (healthy), Lloyd, and Gilyard would have been a nice starting point.

Billy seems aggressive in the pursuit of players and with this pillar/FOSS nonsense done with....I feel he would be even more aggressive

Stan will bring on a President of operations to select a HC...Im sure of that. House will be cleaned, but I hope he keeps these 3

Cutler did not play in that offense. Remember? He was traded to Chicago before the season. I do like that we keep the coordinators and Billy. I think the offensive assistances will be changed dramatically with scheme coaches. I dont know if Brady has assistance that coach up Bradford.