I don't usually do this, but......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Should we put in a claim for this guy?

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The release of wide receiver Taylor Price on Saturday highlights some of the recent struggles the team has had in the draft, particularly in identifying and developing receivers. It also reflects how Bill Belichick isn't afraid to move on from his mistakes.

[hil]Price was a third-round pick in 2010[/hil] (the 90th overall selection), and while he flashed athleticism and potential in the preseason, he never broke through in the regular season. He played in just four games over two seasons.

The signs were ominous for Price when he didn't play last Sunday against the Eagles. With veteran Chad Ochocinco out for that game, there was an opening for a No. 3 receiver to emerge and all signs pointed to Price (link here).

That was the first sign that things were headed in the wrong direction, just a few weeks after offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien had talked about getting Price on the field more (link here). This week, there were hints that maybe Patriots coaches felt Price wasn't practicing as well as other receivers (link here).

Price came from a run-based offense in college, and he missed spring camps as a rookie because Ohio graduated late, so there was an understanding that his emergence might take more time than other receivers drafted around that range (such as Denver's Eric Decker). That's why 2010 was essentially a red-shirt year for him.

But by this year, the coaches obviously expected more and now it looks like they're investing in Tiquan Underwood as a possible No. 3 target to develop. Julian Edelman and Chad Ochocinco are other options for reps as a No. 3 target.

In the end, I think Price arrived as a great athlete that the Patriots hoped would become a great receiver. That transformation never happened, with Tom Brady and Price never able to develop the necessary on-field rapport. I think the complex Patriots' offense was part of the equation in Price never emerging.

Price has practice squad eligibility, but from this perspective, it would be a surprise if he's back.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Worth a shot. We should take every opportunity to accumulate as much talent as possible.

I was talking to a buddy of mine awhile back who is a Patriot fan. He told me that, in the NE offense, talent isnt as important for WRs as it normally is for that position. That its just as important for the WRs to grasp the concepts the offense is built on and to be able to "feel" the soft spots in the D. That's how he explained the overproduction from Branch/Welker/Edleman/Woodhead and underproduction from Ocho.

So Im not sure he would "fit" into our offense either, since they are built on the same principles.

IMO it could also explain some of the poor play from our WRs and the way Lloyd has flourished under McD.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
Worth a shot. We should take every opportunity to accumulate as much talent as possible.

I was talking to a buddy of mine awhile back who is a Patriot fan. He told me that, in the NE offense, talent isnt as important for WRs as it normally is for that position. That its just as important for the WRs to grasp the concepts the offense is built on and to be able to "feel" the soft spots in the D. That's how he explained the overproduction from Branch/Welker/Edleman/Woodhead and underproduction from Ocho.

So Im not sure he would "fit" into our offense either, since they are built on the same principles.

IMO it could also explain some of the poor play from our WRs and the way Lloyd has flourished under McD.
Yeah, that's the only reason I thought about it. Because the offenses are similar. And yeah, what you say about Lloyd as compared to the rookies and 2nd year guys is absolutely correct. Lloyd's done this a lot and knows what he's doing. The other guys are just about done figuring out HOW to do it, so soon they'll be able to just do it too. May not be this year, but it's getting a bit easier (for those who aren't on IR).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sure why not. But they already got Nick Miller, so maybe they'll use him more instead.