How Terrell Lewis fits in pass rush rotation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
How Terrell Lewis fits in pass rush rotation

The Los Angeles Rams expect to be a championship contender in 2020, not two years removed from being NFC Champions during the 2018 season.

Scanning over their roster, one of the areas that stands out as a huge question mark is the pass rush department, which wasn’t given a ton of attention in the 2020 offseason.

As the Rams transition from a legendary defensive coordinator in Wade Phillips to a first-year coordinator in Brandon Staley, a disciple of Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio.

As Staley brings his scheme to the Rams, he’s going to have an interesting cast of characters off the edge to work with. One of the most talented guys he will have in his group is former Alabama outside linebacker Terrell Lewis, a big-time talent who was limited to just 14 games in four years for the Crimson Tide.

The fact that Lewis was selected by the Rams 84th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft speaks volumes to his talent level and potential fit in their defense.

Where does he fit in with this current group of edge rushers?

Rams pass rush depth chart

Aaron Donald is obviously going to open a lot of things up for edge players on the outside if they know how to work off of his success defeating and taking on double or even triple teams.

Last season, Dante Fowler Jr. got things figured out and racked up 11.5 sacks.

Unfortunately, the Rams won’t have Fowler back for the 2020 season as he’s off to the Atlanta Falcons on a free agent contract.

Veteran Clay Matthews also notched eight sacks for the Rams last season, but he’s also not back with the team in 2020.

Samson Ebukam who had 10 QB hits and 4.5 sacks in 16 games last season is the leading pass rusher returning to this Rams roster. Everybody else is unknown or coming from a different team.

Leonard Floyd, a former first-round pick of the Chicago Bears who has experience working with Staley in Chicago, is coming to the Rams in 2020 with 18.5 career sacks to his name, certainly not what everyone had envisioned for him when he came into the league.

The other wild card off the edge for the Rams is Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, a former Oklahoma pass rusher who had big-time potential coming out of college and could still emerge for the Rams now entering his third NFL season.

All of this to say that Terrell Lewis, despite his injury history at Alabama, certainly has an opportunity to make an impact in his first year in Los Angeles.

The pass rush reps will be there and it’s hard to believe with a shortened offseason and a new defense being installed that Brandon Staley is going to see so much from either Samson Ebukam or Leonard Floyd that he will be able to basically redshirt Lewis.

Lewis, unlike anyone else in the Rams’ pass rush depth chart, has an ideal combination of size, length, quickness off the snap, and the ability to finish plays consistently.

There’s plenty of development to be done on Lewis’ end, but the lack of experience combined with the incredible raw talent is someone reminiscent of Robert Quinn coming out of North Carolina in 2011. Even Quinn had 25 games of college experience, but he also missed the entire 2010 season before he was picked in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft by, ironically, the St. Louis Rams.

Lewis could see a similar career trajectory as a player who showed first-round potential in college but had such a small sample size that he was really boom or bust in the draft.

If Lewis can stay healthy, there’s little doubt he will be more boom than bust.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's got some big shoes to fill at OLB replacing Fowler. Dante was quite good last season for us, extremely active chasing and covering a lot of field on top of his consistent rush and pressures. I'm glad the Rams didn't pay him of course, but replacing him might not be a quick deal.

Obo I would think will get first shot at replacing him. If that doesn't work out AND Lewis shows a good grasp of his responsibilities in the defense (which is important since this scheme will include OLBs dropping and deterring short routes on their sides) then I would think he'll get a look.

My deal on Lewis is that his film just doesn't show consistency. Now granted we got him where we did for that reason (inconsistent film on top of those injuries IMO), however in terms of projecting his ability to help us this season this isn't some guy who you know is going to step in. He's a bit of a dice roll where maybe he can learn the defense quickly and if so maybe he can stay healthy and give us a boost.

But my guess is that he'll be depth this season.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But my guess is that he'll be depth this season.

That's ok. They'll probably lose Floyd and Ebukam next year anyway. Might as well give the kid a chance to learn the defense, get stronger, gain confidence, and heal up a bit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and speak of the devil...

Chandler Brewer opts out of 2020 season, two rookies added to Reserve/COVID-19 list
Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 6.27.06 PM

Stu Jackson
STAFF WRITER

The Los Angeles Rams have placed offensive tackle Chandler Brewer on the Reserve/Opt-Out list under the "Higher Risk" opt-out category. Additionally, the club has also placed rookie defensive tackle Michael Hoecht and rookie linebacker Terrell Lewis on the Reserve/COVID-19 list.

"With my history with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, I am at high risk and will opt out of playing in the NFL this season," Brewer said. "I would like to thank the Rams for their support and I look forward to getting back on the field in 2021 and beyond."

"Chandler is a promising player in this league and we fully support his decision," Rams General Manager Les Snead said. "He has fought through adversity before and we look forward to him being back on the field with us next year."

The Reserve/COVID-19 list was created for a player who either tests positive for COVID-19 or who has been quarantined after having been in close contact with an infected person or persons. Clubs are required to place players who fall into either of these categories on this new reserve list. Due to agreed upon NFL-NFLPA policy, teams are prohibited from commenting on a player's medical status other than referring to their roster status. This includes disclosing whether a player is in quarantine or is positive for COVID-19.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I fully understand Brewer opting out with his medical history. But seeing Lewis on there, I'm sorry dudes but that guy just fucking reeks of "bust."

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I fully understand Brewer opting out with his medical history. But seeing Lewis on there, I'm sorry dudes but that guy just fucking reeks of "bust."

The way I was reading it Lewis either has Covid or was exposed to someone who had it and needs to be quarantined. I don’t think he opted out, if that is what is making you smell “bust”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way I was reading it Lewis either has Covid or was exposed to someone who had it and needs to be quarantined. I don’t think he opted out, if that is what is making you smell “bust”
Yeah looks like that list is reserved for positive tests. I'm just not up on the rules apparently.

And btw I was smelling bust with that dude from the beginning. I just recognize that where the Rams took him it was worth the risk. All that aside I definitely jumped the gun on him there.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Yeah looks like that list is reserved for positive tests. I'm just not up on the rules apparently.

And btw I was smelling bust with that dude from the beginning. I just recognize that where the Rams took him it was worth the risk.

I’m with you, injury history is the number one thing that makes my “bust” sense tingle sooo...yeah haha

Didn’t want you to judge the guy too harshly though;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lewis has the potential to be a high end pass rusher. No need to rush him in there. This year sucks. Not even sure if they will be able to finish the season. Maybe a red shirt year wouldn't be the worst thing for him. He's got 3 more years to contribute. No need to risk it this year.

Ram65

Legend
I think Ebu gets early down reps opposite Floyd as the main OLber pass rusher ala Folwer. If Floyd moves to the middle on later downs look for Obo and Ebu as pass rushers with AD and Big A. Brockers and Fox will get snaps as pass rushers too. Staley will work Lewis in the rotation probably sooner than later. Lewis will be great on stunts with AD just like Fowler was. He has the same quickness off the ball and can get throw small spaces. Staley is going to decide based on what he sees as to who gets the most snaps. As the season goes on a Lewis listening and learning I expect him to get on the field more and more even on earlier downs.

What does Brewer sitting out have to do with Lewis?

oldnotdead

Legend
I've said it since he was drafted. I see Lewis as the long term replacement for Brockers. Lewis has shown better polish for his relative inexperience then you would expect. He doesn't have the long speed of Ebukam or Floyd, but he's got short area quickness combined with a very good first step. He has shown good bend around the edge and a decent spin move with decent hand play. Make no mistake he's a work in progress but not a long term one. I think he can use this first year behind Brockers to acclimate, train, and film study to polish his game further.

There is no denying his talent and many saw him pre-draft as having first round level talent, just without the resume and an injury concern. One reason he dropped was a lack of timed speed. But watching him play it's his short-area quickness that stands out and he clearly has enough long speed to factor in pursuit. Also, speed like QB arm strength is misleading. Both can be improved, and in evaluation as Taylor Rapp has proved, it's not how fast he timed in the 40 but how fast he plays. By the speed of Lewis' play, I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a 4.6-4.7 40 time, and with his size, that's pretty good.

Where does Lewis fit the long term? Either as Ebukam's replacement should he be lost in FA, or as the Rams DE of the future. IMO a d-line of Floyd at JACK, AD at 3T, Robinson 1T, and Lewis at DE would be an outstanding combination of speed and quickness outside and power inside. If they have to move Lewis to SAM due to the future loss of Ebukam, the Rams have Hoecht who can play DE and also give them speed and power outside. This year, however, I see Hoecht in rotation with AD where he will bring the same combo of power and speed to the position.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I am hopeful on Lewis, but his history is, there is always something and right out of the gate he test positive or whatever. Not saying it's his fault, but some people just have a dark cloud hanging over them no matter where they go, sports wise. This guy looks just like that and waiting for him to finally catch a break might just be all we do. The next thing will be a muscle pull while working out to keep him on the shelf. A not so distant example of can't catch a break, is Bradford.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am hopeful on Lewis, but his history is, there is always something and right out of the gate he test positive or whatever. Not saying it's his fault, but some people just have a dark cloud hanging over them no matter where they go, sports wise. This guy looks just like that and waiting for him to finally catch a break might just be all we do. The next thing will be a muscle pull while working out to keep him on the shelf. A not so distant example of can't catch a break, is Bradford.
Damn dude, you sound like you have a dark cloud hanging over your head and I say be GONE dark cloud.

Better times for everybody is ahead.

Listen to your old Uncle Soul. :)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Lewis. I think his get off is elite and he had two freak injuries that he should complete recover from. I think he can be a versatile move piece with pass rushing ability. Like Floyd if he had worked out.

MachS

Hall of Fame
This kid has big time pass rush skills. Not too clear on this covid reserve list, but is he eligible to come back this season? If so I wouldn't worry too much, he should be clear of Covid in a few weeks and can resume working out. If he is required to miss the entire season now that is super unfortunate. He should contribute on 3rd down passing situations at a minimum if he can play.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's ok. They'll probably lose Floyd and Ebukam next year anyway. Might as well give the kid a chance to learn the defense, get stronger, gain confidence, and heal up a bit.

That’s what The Rams did with there 2020 draft. Of course this Cam Cat is a different story. He is going to be thrown in with the Wolves.

Terrell Burges some solid reps. I think he gets some reps Blake Christian had last season.

Jefferson should get spot reps.