How Many HOF QB's Are Still Active in the NFL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was thinking of this yesterday... If all the starting QB's in the NFL retired suddenly, who would be a lock for the Hall of Fame? I can only think of three: Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Freakin' Stafford.

Remember, this is a results only question and not a forward thinking projection.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Russell Wilson would despite the last couple years.

I would put in Josh Allen and CJ Stroud next.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Russell Wilson would despite the last couple years.

I would put in Josh Allen and CJ Stroud next.
But Allen and Stroud are projections, since they haven't won a Super Bowl yet. I hesitate about Wilson, even though he has won a Super Bowl. Many say that he benefitted from a great defense that year, just as Jim Plunkett did with the Raiders (won two Super Bowls and isn't in the HOF)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wilson is a HOFer
At 35 he’s got a couple years left in him.
Another 6k in yards and 40 td and he’ll crack 50k passing and top 10 in TD passes

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wilson is a HOFer
At 35 he’s got a couple years left in him.
Another 6k in yards and 40 td and he’ll crack 50k passing and top 10 in TD passes
I think the petals are off the rose, as far as Wilson goes. After his disasterous stint in Denver, I think he'll be at best a bridge QB or a back up and may never get those 6K in yards.

Angry Ram

But Allen and Stroud are projections, since they haven't won a Super Bowl yet. I hesitate about Wilson, even though he has won a Super Bowl. Many say that he benefitted from a great defense that year, just as Jim Plunkett did with the Raiders (won two Super Bowls and isn't in the HOF)

Kinda hard when there's only 4 active QBs that have a ring and you named half of them. :zany1:

I put Josh Allen bc he's a freak QB. Arm and will8ng to bulldoze his way to tuds.

CJ Stroud broke rookie records and won a playoff game to boot. Lowest INT #s too.

The guy plays ONE season and you are going to give him a gold jacket?

I can't wait for Puka to have his bust made in bronze in that case.

Well the question is RE QBs.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
If Wilson gets in, it’ll be the perfect illustration of what’s wrong with the HOF these days. Instead of honouring truly great (in its original sense) players, it’s become a home for very good players who pad their stats for a number of years.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kinda hard when there's only 4 active QBs that have a ring and you named half of them. :zany1:

I put Josh Allen bc he's a freak QB. Arm and will8ng to bulldoze his way to tuds.

CJ Stroud broke rookie records and won a playoff game to boot. Lowest INT #s too.

Well the question is RE QBs.
I named three QB's that are current starters, who have won a Super Bowl, but also have the "It" factor. Winning on the largest stage. Allen hasn't done that (yet) and Stroud for sure hasn't done it yet. I value guys who have:
1. Super Bowl(s)
2. Longevity with sustained success
3. Lifetime stats
4. "It" factor (Meaning a QB's clutch factor)

Angry Ram

RG3 looked great his first season.

I don't see a gold jacket on him. . . .

The question was QBs all retiring today. RG3 had a great rookie season just like CJ did.

I named three QB's that are current starters, who have won a Super Bowl, but also have the "It" factor. Winning on the largest stage. Allen hasn't done that (yet) and Stroud for sure hasn't done it yet. I value guys who have:
1. Super Bowl(s)
2. Longevity with sustained success
3. Lifetime stats
4. "It" factor (Meaning a QB's clutch factor)

Well that list is really low to meet those quals.

Derek Carr is a longevity guy but little success.

Jalen Hurts, Jared Goff, Joe Burrow...Super Bowl losers but only 1 has longevity and peaked 5 years ago.

Josh Allen does meet clutch factor too.

Pretty high bar when only 4 meet those. HoF isn't just having SB ring. It's how a single player was so different from the norm to the point where he became a guy people try to find the next version of or was just so damn good. I.e., Dan Marino and in the WR world Randy Moss both never won Bowls.

Josh Allen = stud. Arm, running, body built like a tank.

CJ is in based on historic rookie #s. He's already surpassed so many other QBs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The question was QBs all retiring today. RG3 had a great rookie season just like CJ did.

Well that list is really low to meet those quals.

Derek Carr is a longevity guy but little success.

Jalen Hurts, Jared Goff, Joe Burrow...Super Bowl losers but only 1 has longevity and peaked 5 years ago.

Josh Allen does meet clutch factor too.

Pretty high bar when only 4 meet those. HoF isn't just having SB ring. It's how a single player was so different from the norm to the point where he became a guy people try to find the next version of or was just so damn good. I.e., Dan Marino and in the WR world Randy Moss both never won Bowls.

Josh Allen = stud. Arm, running, body built like a tank.

CJ is in based on historic rookie #s. He's already surpassed so many other QBs.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Any normal HOF candidate has ALL four of these qualities/achievements. Having just one or two of them normally isn't enough to make the HOF, with an exception of a Dan Marino as you said.
I think you are dead wrong on Stroud. If he was injured this offseason and never played football again, there is no way in hell he becomes a Hall of Famer.
As for the "It"/clutch factor in regard to Allen, he has never shown it when it matters: being responsible for getting to and winning a Super Bowl. lets be clear, I like both QB's, but one needs more successful years and the other needs a Super Bowl win. I don't think our beloved Capt Kurt Warner would have become of HOFer without the Super Bowl win in 1999 even though he had a really eventful career otherwise.