How does the Rams' depth chart look after the Brandin Cooks trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm buying.

OT - every new guy we signed is on the roster except Suh. Curious.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
On paper our team looks unbeatable. That's on paper tho and it means absolutely nothing

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How does the depth chart look at wide receiver?

Scary.
Very scary.
The ultra young just out of the sandbox McVay, has a large amount of high grade fancy toys to play with the next few years.

Just looking at our total receiver cadre ....it sure looks great enough but when you look deeper... how old are they?

RB T.Austin 28 UFA 2019
WR Woods 25
TE Higbee 25
TE Krieger-Coble
RB Brown 24
WR Cooks 24 UFA 2019
SL Kupp 24
WR Brown 24
TE Hemingway 24
RB Tillery 24
RB Gurley 23 UFA 2019
SL Cooper 23
WR Thomas 23
WR Reynolds 23
TE Mundt 23
TE Everett 23
RB Davis 22
RB Rogers 22

Demoff sure needs to get Brandin Cooks signed into a new long term contract ASAP, Todd Gurley of course will be extended for his 5th season. Leaving TA as the only departure after this season.
:yess:

Last edited:

Ramon Ram

Starter
We just need to hit on a LB or two in the draft and some OL depth. Maybe a RB as well.

Why isn't Bowman on this team yet to stuff the middle runs?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
We just need to hit on a LB or two in the draft and some OL depth. Maybe a RB as well.

Why isn't Bowman on this team yet to stuff the middle runs?
I'm just guessing but maybe because there is no money left to sign him.

Todd59

Rookie
This roster looks really good. I think this is the time that we cross our fingers that Oklahoma DE/OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is there when we pick in the 3rd. I believe the Rams had him in for a visit last month.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm just guessing but maybe because there is no money left to sign him.
And may be a late add.
An older guy like that may consider options including retirement. Also, an older guy might want to miss a lot of the off season workout team stuff or early camp stuff.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This roster looks really good. I think this is the time that we cross our fingers that Oklahoma DE/OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is there when we pick in the 3rd. I believe the Rams had him in for a visit last month.

I am betting that Okoronkwo will still remain on the boards till we get into the 4th round. I say it's a real possibility that Og can be a Ram with either the #135 or #136 selections. But for me, Og is a serious target for this Ram team & would make a good fit working in a rotation with Matt Longacre as Rob Quinn did in 2017. I want Og to be a Ram too!

Now the reason I would refrain fro using the Rams top 2018 selection @ #87 on him is #1)- Og is a true TWEENER meaning over half or more of the NFL teams have little or no interests in him because he is not an OLB'er in a 43 D. #2)- Og is listed under 6-1 without height & length that is badly needed & mandated to excel @ the NFL edge level. Some ER's built like Og do have success for long periods of time & that's because they have outstanding bend & athletic traits to overcome those two big minuses (Height & length). Sadly :sadwalk:Og does not have a lot of the needed bend or athletic traits. #3)-Some other big issues with Og is he lacks experience in coverage & the times he had swipes @ it he had "Fail Mode". This is the key to remember about Og ...His major football work experience was @ the DE post. Og is very similar to 4th rd selection Samson Ebukam was last season. Ebukam may have been a better player than Og is now when drafted.

Snead/Wade/Barry would be very smart to target Og & Jeff Holland with the #135 & #16 picks if they get uneasy about it then use one of the 6th selection to move up in the initial 4th rd to secure them. My top desire with that #87 election is LT Brain O'Neal Pittsburgh! He is a far better player & has much more value to this current Ram team as a swing OT prospect.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
ThisMy top desire with that #87 election is LT Brain O'Neal Pittsburgh! He is a far better player & has much more value to this current Ram team as a swing OT prospect.

I think OL could be very much in play now at #87. I like O'Neal too, but I'm in the Tyrell Crosby (ore) camp should he fall that far.

With Saffold and Brown headed to FA next season, I think the Rams have to be looking at guards further on as well. I'm looking at a guy like Will Clapp (lsu) being there for one of our 6th rounders. Obviously, he needs some work, but he also has played center. I just like those versatile interior OL.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
And may be a late add.
An older guy like that may consider options including retirement. Also, an older guy might want to miss a lot of the off season workout team stuff or early camp stuff.
I thought Bowman was one of the best linebackers I saw ever before he smashed up his knee against the SeaHawks (imo costing the Niners the game and a trip to the Super Bowl.) He was awesome. But it's really a miracle he can play at all now. I read a long story about him a couple of years ago where he talked about the crazy stuff he needs to do to make his knee work at all for every single game he plays. That kind of stuff doesn't get better over time. He can still tackle and he's still smart but imo has very little lateral speed or ability to cover. We can't afford him, so it doesn't matter, but I don't think signing him to really just be a one dimensional guy in the middle would be a good fit for us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think OL could be very much in play now at #87. I like O'Neal too, but I'm in the Tyrell Crosby (ore) camp should he fall that far.

With Saffold and Brown headed to FA next season, I think the Rams have to be looking at guards further on as well. I'm looking at a guy like Will Clapp (lsu) being there for one of our 6th rounders. Obviously, he needs some work, but he also has played center. I just like those versatile interior OL.

You & I have been seeing the Rams very close now for some time. I also like Crosby & if Oneal is gone all is not lost if Tyrell Crosby is the choice @ #87. Crosby is far more RT & RG than O'Neal who is more Swing OT. This team does not have a any RT's besides Havenstein at the moment so Crosby would be a excellent pick.

With Blythe/Nearly & Elderenkamp under contract & with a a season of Kromer experience under their belts the interior reserve OL posts are not in such dire need as the exterior reserve posts. Kromer would love to have Will Clapp selected with one of those 6th round picks. Clapp is a excellent interior OL prospect for all three interior posts!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
On paper our team looks unbeatable. That's on paper tho and it means absolutely nothing
It's not nothing, because the better a team looks on paper, the better chance that the team actually has of winning. Remember, we've only added pieces to an already good team. So the sky's the limit, that is, if they've actually improved.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2...t-teams-biggest-offseason-additions-for-2018/

Meet the new Rams – A closer look at team’s biggest offseason additions for 2018

ldn-l-rams-0406_09_25767737.jpg

New Rams wide receiver Brandin Cooks, left, shakes hands with Rams head coach Sean McVay following a news conference, Thursday, April 5, 2018, at the Rams training facility in Thousand Oaks. (Photo by Michael Owen Baker)
By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
April 6, 2018 at 4:56 pm
  • nfc_championship_football_81667671.jpg
  • gettyimages-6302115861.jpg
  • rams_broncos_talib_trade_football_255854231.jpg
  • 0925_nws_ldn-l-chargers-carr07_245752471.jpg

• gettyimages-6302115861.jpg

1 of 13

Cornerback Aqib Talib of the Denver Broncos runs onto the field during player introductions before a game against the New England Patriots at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on December 18, 2016 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)

In 2016, the Rams changed cities. In 2017, a new coach. This year, they reshaped their roster.

It’s been a dizzying offseason for the Rams, who stunned the NFL community with a series of trades and signings. In the end — this is the end, isn’t it? — the Rams maintained their strength on offense, made major upgrades on defense and looted their own stash of draft picks to make it happen.

The Rams formally will convene for the first time this month for the start of the optional offseason program, but first a couple introductory ice-breakers might be helpful.

For now, here’s a look at the five major additions the Rams have made since the last week of February:

Brandin Cooks, Receiver

Height: 5-10 Weight: 189

Contract status: Signed through 2018

Acquired: April 3, 2018

The price: Rams traded 2018 first- and sixth-round draft choices to the New England Patriots for Cooks and a 2018 fourth-round choice.

Analysis: When Sammy Watkins left via free agency in mid-March, the Rams publicly indicated they’d feel comfortable with an internal replacement, but really, a move like this needed to get done. Cooks is a speedy field-stretcher and a three-time 1,000-yard receiver whose presence also should open up things for teammates such as Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. The biggest question about Cooks is whether he has as strong a nose for the endzone as Watkins, who had eight touchdowns in 15 games last season, or Odell Beckham Jr., whom the Rams discussed before they traded for Cooks.

Marcus Peters, Cornerback

Height: 6-0 Weight: 197

Contract status: Signed through 2018 (with team option for 2019)

Acquired: Feb. 23, 2018

The price: Rams traded a 2019 second-round draft choice and a 2018 fourth-round choice to the Kansas City Chiefs for Peters and a 2018 sixth-round choice.

Analysis: It feels as though it’s been eons since the Rams made their first big move, to acquire Peters, but it’s only been six weeks. Peters is a ball hawk, with 19 interceptions in three NFL seasons, and the Rams’ ability to pair him with Aqib Talib means they essentially have two No. 1 cornerbacks and almost never will get caught in mismatch scenarios. The Rams say they’ve done due diligence on Peters’ behavior. He hasn’t been involved in off-field problems but regularly has had on-field issues, including last season when he threw a penalty flag into the stands and walked off the field.

Ndamukong Suh, Defensive lineman

Height: 6-4 Weight: 305

Contract status: Signed through 2018

Acquired: March 26, 2018

The price: A one-year contract reportedly worth $14 million.

Analysis: Nobody saw this one coming. The Rams didn’t seem like a fit for Suh when the Miami Dolphins released him in March, but after visits with New Orleans and Tennessee, Suh agreed to only a one-year contract with the Rams, who sold him on the idea of a dominating partnership with Aaron Donald and a chance at his first Super Bowl championship. Suh might not be as individually dominant as he was a couple years ago, but he’s a run-stopping plug in the middle of the defensive line, which was an issue for the Rams last season, and coordinator Wade Phillips will utilize Suh’s versatility.

Aqib Talib, Cornerback

Height: 6-1 Weight: 205

Contract status: Signed through 2019

Acquired: March 8, 2018

The price: The Rams traded a 2018 fifth-round draft choice to the Denver Broncos for Talib.

Analysis: Talib didn’t exactly deny reports that he vetoed possible trades to other teams and sought to come to the Rams and reunite with Phillips, with whom he won the Super Bowl with Denver two years ago. Talib’s prime years are in the past, but he remains a big-play threat — in the past three seasons, he has returned three of his five interceptions for touchdowns — and he could enjoy a resurgence in 2018. No longer can teams avoid Talib and throw to the other side of the field, as they sometimes did when playing the Broncos, because Peters is there. For all the talk about Talib’s on-field brash behavior, he’s considered a solid locker-room citizen who could help mentor teammates such as Peters.

Sam Shields, Cornerback

Height: 5-11 Weight: 184

Contract status: Signed through 2019

Acquired: March 8, 2018

The price: A one-year contract reportedly worth $1 million.

Analysis: If this works out, the Rams will have extraordinary depth at cornerback, with Peters, Aqib Talib, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Troy Hill and Shields, who made the Pro Bowl in 2014 but whose career has been interrupted by five concussions, the last of which has kept him on the sidelines since the 2016 season opener. Shields recently indicated that he will retire if he suffers one more concussion. Shields, who has 18 interceptions in 80 career regular-season games, has been cleared by doctors and said he no longer experiences symptoms. If healthy, he has starter-level skill.