How do you see the 49’ers transition to Trey Lance?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They are in a tricky spot. If you are a 49’er fan, does 2021 feel like a lost season if he isn’t ready to play?

Garoppolo is not exactly the most durable.

Other QB’s on the roster are Nate Sudfeld, Josh Rosen, and Josh Johnson.

They talk like Lance could sit 1-2yrs. Article below.

But... do you see them being patient enough? Lose Garappolo... it sort of feels like season over? Or are they tempted to play Lance?

I guess it depends on how he looks in pre-season. They gave up A LOT for Lance, so I could see the temptation to play him.

San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York comfortable if rookie Trey Lance sits for one or two years behind Jimmy Garoppolo​

The San Francisco 49ers gave up a bunch of draft capital to move into the No. 3 overall slot to take quarterback Trey Lance.

The team, however, is comfortable if the rookie doesn't see the field for one season — or even two — if incumbent starter Jimmy Garoppolo has success.

“We’ve talked about this internally,” 49ers CEO Jed York told NBC Sports. “If we’re in a situation where Jimmy goes out and takes us to a Super Bowl again and has an MVP-caliber season, and does it again, there are worse dilemmas to be in. And Jimmy certainly has the ability to do that.

“Knowing it’s the most important position in sports, and it’s great to have a guy that you do believe in and has gotten you to a Super Bowl. So you don’t have to put the weight of the world on a rookie, whoever it was we were going to choose. And now that we know Trey is here, you don’t have to put the weight of the world on that kid’s shoulders. And he can grow into that position.”

Garoppolo, 29, has been San Francisco's starter since the start of the 2017 season when the franchise acquired him in a trade with the New England Patriots. And while Garoppolo has performed well at times, he has battled several injuries, including high-ankle sprains that kept him out of 10 games last season.

He helped lead the 49ers to Super Bowl 54, when the team lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 31-20. That 2019 season was the lone one Garoppolo has been the starter for all 16 games of a regular season.

York seemed to clearly indicate, though, that even if the 49ers opt to keep Garoppolo for the next two seasons, he likely will not have his contract renewed once it expires before the 2022 season.

“And even if he (Lance) doesn’t play for two years, we still have an extra $100 million to put back into our team on top of whatever we would have for free agency for the next five years,” York said of the money the team would save from the Garoppolo contract. “It’s really an investment in the team of how do you want to build this thing.”

The 49ers shipped the 12th overall pick, a 2021 third-rounder and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023 to Miami in order to move into the No. 3 slot where they selected Lance.

Lance, who will turn 21 on Sunday, is physically gifted with height, size, speed and arm strength to play the position in the NFL, but is fairly raw and attempted only 318 passes in his career at North Dakota State.

To come up with a comparison, York pointed to current Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who sat the first three seasons of his career after Green Bay selected him in the first round.

“If he doesn’t play until he’s 23, but he’s got a 15-plus year career …” York said. “There were rumors about a guy, and obviously Kyle talked about trading for Aaron. How long did Aaron sit? Two or three years before he played? And, again, I want to make sure that we do everything we can to make sure that position is the best it can possibly be in the NFL.”

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I see a train wreck coming.

Kyle Stickuphisass is gonna expect way too much, way too soon, from this D2 project. Guys like him are real projects... and I bet Capt Angry-Face and his Daddy are going to fuck up this kid's melon in a hurry.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I absolutely hate the 49ers, and I go back to the John Brodie Niners. However, I think they are really talented and the biggest Division threat to the Rams.

Garapollo may give them the best chance in 2021 but his lack of durability is a concern. If he goes down, their offense may need to adjust but Shanahan is the type of coach that can adjust; and with an athletic QB, he can come up with some challenging stuff.

Don’t watch much college football, so I don’t have any opinion on Lance’s talent but I will be thrilled if he sucks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I see a train wreck coming.

Kyle Stickuphisass is gonna expect way too much, way too soon, from this D2 project. Guys like him are real projects... and I bet Capt Angry-Face and his Daddy are going to fuck up this kid's melon in a hurry.

Well, I certainly hope that happens, but it's doubtful because IMHO, Kyle Shanahan is as good as it gets and IMO, he's better than his Daddy when it comes to Quarterbacks. I believe that Garoppolo will get hurt and Lance will come on at that time and showcase his upside, but have some growing pains as well. My hope is the kid is a bust, however, I'd settle for mediocre.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
D2 player... only one game played since 2019... gave up the farm to get him...

What could go wrong?

Given that it’s the Niners...hopefully the answer is “everything.”

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well, I certainly hope that happens, but it's doubtful because IMHO, Kyle Shanahan is as good as it gets and IMO, he's better than his Daddy when it comes to Quarterbacks. I believe that Garoppolo will get hurt and Lance will come on at that time and showcase his upside, but have some growing pains as well. My hope is the kid is a bust, however, I'd settle for mediocre.

Fine.

It's a bet then.

If I win... buy me a bottle of Papas Pilar.

If you win... I'll buy you a bottle of your poison up to $50.

You On ?

dang

Legend
D2 player... only one game played since 2019... gave up the farm to get him...

What could go wrong?

Given that it’s the Niners...hopefully the answer is “everything.”
Not D2. He played in I-AA for the same team as Carson Wenz. North Dakota State is a perennial powerhouse in that division. The issue with Lance is not which division he played in but the fact that he only had one full season as a starter. He has the best raw talent of all the drafted QBs this season but needs some serious time to mature his game. There is no way he should see the field this year. My guess is they bring him in next year only if Jimmy G gets hurt or the 49ers fall out of contention and they want to take a look at their protege.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It sounds like Lance and Trubisky's stories cross paths. Trubisky only had one season as a starter too. Tru may have some upside as he played for a Chicago organization that doesn't value QB development.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lance will come in after we break Jimmy mid November. That is unless the whiners are out of contention and they decide to just throw Rosen in there to finish out.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think they have decided to assume that Garapalo will be 100% and they can develop Fields like the Chiefs did with Mahomes. They have their fingers crossed that he stays upright long enough but they brought in a guy or two in case he slips in the shower.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Trey Lance backs up Jimmy G for this season. After this year the Niners make a choice.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Not D2. He played in I-AA for the same team as Carson Wenz. North Dakota State is a perennial powerhouse in that division. The issue with Lance is not which division he played in but the fact that he only had one full season as a starter. He has the best raw talent of all the drafted QBs this season but needs some serious time to mature his game. There is no way he should see the field this year. My guess is they bring him in next year only if Jimmy G gets hurt or the 49ers fall out of contention and they want to take a look at their protege.
The point is, he wasn’t playing Big 10, ACC or SEC defenses on a regular basis.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
With Grabapple-O and his issues staying on the field, the 69ers are going to be pressured to play Lance this year at some point.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Biggest risk/reward player in the draft.

I'm betting he fails there and develops out with another team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would think the moment they realize they aren't in the division race they sit Garoppolo and go with the kid. Shanahan is good enough to boil things down for him week to week but they won't want to do that until the Rams pound that ass and/or the truth is undeniable that they're out.

And if they lose games with the kid QB it helps them get a higher pick. They're all about using those off seasons to load high end pick talent those fucks.

oldnotdead

Legend
Lance gives Shannihan the ability to expand his offense in ways he couldn't do with Jimmy G. Lance can play from the pocket and he can run an RPO. That said what will that mean for the Rams? Well they already play Wilson who can play from the pocket and also kill you with his legs. Lance has much more upsides than Murray IMO. You contain Murray and cover well early and Kyler struggles. Lance will keep AZ at the bottom of the division.

As far as this year is concerned, I don't see them playing Lance if they don't absolutely have to. I think they would love to simply redshirt Trey this year and allow him to acclimate to the NFL and to be coached up. Why trot him out there when the offense this year is designed for Jimmy G. As long as Josh Rosen is healthy it allows them not to rush Trey. Rosen is a perfect fit for what the Niners run now.

Next year is a different proposition entirely, with Shannihan rolling out a whole new offensive scheme tailored to Lance's skill set. Once he gets acclimated in a scheme conducive to his skills, the Rams will be facing another Seattle with Wilson type of offense. This is the importance of Rochell. With the addition of Rochell and Burgess into the secondary it allows the Rams to match up no matter what Seattle, SF, and AZ want to play offensively. The Ram defense has proven they have the talent to dominate any team if played correctly. The addition of Rochell and Burgess, and a healthy Lewis are subtle changes with potentially huge impacts down the road as IMO they are upgrades to Hill, Johnson, and Brockers. With Robinson entering his second year as a Ram I think his impact will continue both on early downs but on passing downs as well.

Lance brings nothing to the table that the Rams already haven't faced. The difference though is the Niners are a more complete team than either the Hawks or the Cards and I think the battle for the division will go through CA unless Seattle suddenly upgrades it's roster in a big way. The addition of Lance next year and going forward will impact Seattle and AZ more so than LA. The Cards will go back to being outmatched at QB within the division.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If I win... buy me a bottle of Papas Pilar.

If you win... I'll buy you a bottle of your poison up to $50.

You On ?

1621109877904.png

VS.
1621110041319.png

Attachments

• 1621109921950.png
    1621109921950.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 1621109972224.png
    1621109972224.png
    503.8 KB · Views: 44

dang

Legend
Lance gives Shannihan the ability to expand his offense in ways he couldn't do with Jimmy G. Lance can play from the pocket and he can run an RPO. That said what will that mean for the Rams? Well they already play Wilson who can play from the pocket and also kill you with his legs. Lance has much more upsides than Murray IMO. You contain Murray and cover well early and Kyler struggles. Lance will keep AZ at the bottom of the division.

As far as this year is concerned, I don't see them playing Lance if they don't absolutely have to. I think they would love to simply redshirt Trey this year and allow him to acclimate to the NFL and to be coached up. Why trot him out there when the offense this year is designed for Jimmy G. As long as Josh Rosen is healthy it allows them not to rush Trey. Rosen is a perfect fit for what the Niners run now.

Next year is a different proposition entirely, with Shannihan rolling out a whole new offensive scheme tailored to Lance's skill set. Once he gets acclimated in a scheme conducive to his skills, the Rams will be facing another Seattle with Wilson type of offense. This is the importance of Rochell. With the addition of Rochell and Burgess into the secondary it allows the Rams to match up no matter what Seattle, SF, and AZ want to play offensively. The Ram defense has proven they have the talent to dominate any team if played correctly. The addition of Rochell and Burgess, and a healthy Lewis are subtle changes with potentially huge impacts down the road as IMO they are upgrades to Hill, Johnson, and Brockers. With Robinson entering his second year as a Ram I think his impact will continue both on early downs but on passing downs as well.

Lance brings nothing to the table that the Rams already haven't faced. The difference though is the Niners are a more complete team than either the Hawks or the Cards and I think the battle for the division will go through CA unless Seattle suddenly upgrades it's roster in a big way. The addition of Lance next year and going forward will impact Seattle and AZ more so than LA. The Cards will go back to being outmatched at QB within the division.
How did Kapernick (sic) do against the Rams. Lance is Kap x 1.5.