How do we feel about Suh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is this simply just him playing hard to (and past) the whistle, or is this a disturbing trend that could haunt him for the remainder of his career? I don't know that you can undo that part of your brain that wants to be violent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxACCWEF690[/youtube]

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
I dont think its a disturbing trend. Maybe hes one of the players that doesnt like the rules protecting QBs and could have a hard time adjusting. What do you do if your the Dline coach for the Lions? Thats a tough call.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Suh has a history of things like that. Remember last year, in the preseason he basically threw the Browns QB to the ground by his facemask? He also grabbed Marion Barbers hair during a tackle before.. In college he basically threw Colt McCoy across the field too.. Which given the size different, it's like a grown man throwing a 9 year old.

He's an amazing player, but he has a tendency to play far harder than he needs to. And refs are already taking notice of it, and watching him more carefully. I don't think he's a dirty player, but I don't think he's a very smart player. He's a nice guy, but he needs to know how to dial it back a bit. Especially with the new QB rules out there. Otherwise he's going to be flagged for a lot of personal fouls.

RamsFan4Life

Rookie
I remember a guy from a long time ago that played EXACTLY like Suh. I know because I watched him do it in person.

He might be my favorite Rams player of all time simply because of how incredibly cool he was to me as a boy seeking autographs and a moment with his idols.

His name is Deacon Jones.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
bluecoconuts said:
Suh has a history of things like that. Remember last year, in the preseason he basically threw the Browns QB to the ground by his facemask? He also grabbed Marion Barbers hair during a tackle before.. In college he basically threw Colt McCoy across the field too.. Which given the size different, it's like a grown man throwing a 9 year old.

He's an amazing player, but he has a tendency to play far harder than he needs to. And refs are already taking notice of it, and watching him more carefully. I don't think he's a dirty player, but I don't think he's a very smart player. He's a nice guy, but he needs to know how to dial it back a bit. Especially with the new QB rules out there. Otherwise he's going to be flagged for a lot of personal fouls.
And that's the real trick. To get to the QB, RB, he has to go hard through guys that you can't dial it down against. Just as often, by the time he gets in reach of the QB, just like the vid above, he's still pushing against a lineman.

As strong as Suh is, he'll need to understand the difference between the violence of his strength and the violence of his weight. For him, getting a grip on the QB should be enough.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Quixote said:
bluecoconuts said:

And that's the real trick. To get to the QB, RB, he has to go hard through guys that you can't dial it down against. Just as often, by the time he gets in reach of the QB, just like the vid above, he's still pushing against a lineman.

As strong as Suh is, he'll need to understand the difference between the violence of his strength and the violence of his weight. For him, getting a grip on the QB should be enough.
My ONLY issue in all of this (I love body-slamming a QB as long as it's not ours) is whether or not he KNEW the ball had been thrown away. The ball was gone for a few seconds before he delivered his kill shot on the QB. THAT is the problem I think he has. Meaning, he wants to finish guys off whether or not it's within the guidelines of the rules. Or so it seems.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
RamsFan4Life said:
I remember a guy from a long time ago that played EXACTLY like Suh. I know because I watched him do it in person.

He might be my favorite Rams player of all time simply because of how incredibly cool he was to me as a boy seeking autographs and a moment with his idols.

Thats the key part. It was a long time ago. Im sure there are some old school NFL fans and former players that may not have an issue with Suhs play.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JdashSTL said:
RamsFan4Life said:

Thats the key part. It was a long time ago. Im sure there are some old school NFL fans and former players that may not have an issue with Suhs play.
In today's game, he will start getting suspended.

I have the POWAH!

Only after you defeat my POWAH!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I guess I'm not terribly bothered by what I saw there. It's not like he picked the QB up and pile drived the guy. Penalty? OK. But come on. We watch this game by no small measure BECAUSE of the violent nature - and when you combine that with amazing athletic ability of the skill positions, you have the greatest sport in the world.

I admit that I was a big Suh guy. But I am glad we picked Sammy instead. Being that Suh is not wearing horns, I don't feel about him one way or another. The one thing I will say is that if he gets a rep as a dirty player in this day and age, it could seriously hamper his ability to become one of the great ones.

And I hate any comparisons to Deacon. This kid has not earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence in my mind. Also, Deacon played with an intensity on the field that put him in a whole other stratosphere. How many players do you remember where you could actually see their bulging, veiny eyeballs as they stepped to the line or neared the QB. You could even see them from your couch with shitty TV quality and reception. That dude struck fear like no other.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Suh was fined $20,000 for his hit on Dalton. Looks like the NFL is really putting their foot down, this is his third fine in less than 2 years in the league.

He's going to have to change his style of play it seems, the NFL already has him on their list of players to watch.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's a man-beast!

We would be defendin him to the end if he was a Ram!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
He's a man-beast!

But alas - he is not. Drum him out of the league for those shenanigans. :mrgreen:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
He's a man-beast!

But alas - he is not. Drum him out of the league for those shenanigans. :mrgreen:
I wonder if people would feel the same if he dumped Bradford on his head.

Hmmmmmmm.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
He's a man-beast!

Depends. I think there's a fine line between playing physical and putting players at risk of injury. Even if it's a team I hate, I don't want to see players get seriously injured, and the way Suh plays, he can seriously injure someone. A few bumps and bruises, no big deal. But slamming QB's without a helmet, or grabbing a QB by the facemask, whipping their head back, and then slamming them to the ground.. Both AFTER the ball was thrown away, puts the QB at serious risk for a neck or spine injury.

If he was in horns and doing that, I would probably say the same thing. Play physical, but pay attention and know when to back off. And stop grabbing facemaks or hair to make a tackle.

Anonymous

StlouisramsX said:
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
He's a man-beast!

Hmmmmmmm.

Then don't pass on him in the draft. Be grateful he's in another division we shouldn't have to play for years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
StlouisramsX said:
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
He's a man-beast!

Hmmmmmmm.

Then don't pass on him in the draft. Be grateful he's in another division we shouldn't have to play for years.
I didn't pass on him in the draft. I just wasn't allowed to pull the trigger.

Devaney's weird like that. I believe he said, and I quote, "lol - how many DT's win Superbowls?"
(true story).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LOL way to bite the hand that feeds you, Suh.

@ndamukong_suh Ndamukong Suh
$20,000REALLY???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #NFL #BIGFAIL

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
StlouisramsX said:
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
He's a man-beast!

Hmmmmmmm.

Not really. I watched the Dalton play over and over since I got back. It was just that his helmet went flyin off that made it look worse than it actually was. Besides if you wanna play QB you gots 2 be a tough SOB.

It was aggressive...the Colt McCoy thing was worse.

What pisses me off is the inconsistency by the refs in callin these types of plays. I would've been MORE mad if the refs had NO flag on this play and yet a 15 yarder was called on a helmet tap to Tom Brady.