How Aaron Kromer has Rams offensive line surging at precisely the right time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct, McVay and Aaron Kromer, Rams were fortunate the Miami Dolphins denied permission to interview Chris "Sniff? Foerster for OC/Offensive Line Coach.
1-2 feet of snow in Albany bro.....Got your generator ready?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

You know it bro...Been lucky so far not an inch on the ground so we get it all at once..Counting the days (few more years) to we move to Fort Worth.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know it bro...Been lucky so far not an inch on the ground so we get it all at once..Counting the days (few more years) to we move to Fort Worth.
I'm watching the Weather Channel, and they've actually named this Winter Storm "Harper". I didn't know they did that? We will drop 30 degrees tonight and get a few inches of snow, 8 degrees actual temp, and -7 wind chill......

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Blythe had the big mouth. I was talking to an Eagles fan at work and told about this. Thought it was strange to talk about that they saw tells from the defensive line. Never give away your secrets.

Too right.

This is not football related but very pertinent. Back in the day Australia was trying to wrestle away the America's Cup from the Americans. This was some stupid yacht race trophy, which nobody but rich millionaires cared about, that America had held for over 100 years. Nobody could beat them. Many, many millions of dollars had been spent to no avail. Then in the early 80s Australia arrived in America with a yacht that was different than the norm, with much controversy surrounding it, and actually managed to finally get the better of the American team. They won the America's Cup.

During celebrations later that night they unveiled the fin keel of their yacht. The idiots. They never won that trophy ever again. Didn't even come close. Every other country, including the Americans, copied the design but spent way more money modifying it and perfecting it.

So, don't give away your secrets.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have my AC unit on high all day today. Sorry humid deep south weather. I was forced to get the pressure washer going for the carport due to the green slim & mold growing wild on the north side. My grass is still green from no heavy frost yet.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Emperor of the offensive line :ROFLMAO:

For anyone that is a old Fantasy/Sci-Fi geek, there was a series of books based on the world of Gor. One of the titles was -------- God/Emperor of Gor. I think Kromer is worthy of the title God/Emperor of OLine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember when people didn't want Kromer because he punched somebody on the beach lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

giphy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ve-the-best-run-blocking-offensive-line-ever/

Rams may have the best run-blocking offensive line ever
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 19, 2019

For much of this season, Rams running back Todd Gurley was touted as an MVP candidate, as he racked up 100-yard games and scored more than one rushing touchdown per game. But then a funny thing happened at the end of the season: Gurley missed two games. And the Rams didn’t miss him at all.

C.J. Anderson, who had been cut three times in the previous 10 months and assumed his season was over, showed up off the street and promptly played even better than Gurley: Anderson ran for 167 yards and a touchdown in his first game as a Ram, 132 yards and a touchdown in his second game as a Ram, and 123 yards and two touchdowns while sharing time with Gurley in the Rams’ playoff opener.

The reason the Rams could lose Gurley and get even better with a guy who’d been cut three times in 10 months is the offensive line. It might be the best run-blocking offensive line ever.

If that sounds like hyperbole, consider the Football Outsiders stat Adjusted Line Yards, which takes all running back carries and assigns responsibility to the offensive line. The stat magnifies plays when the running back gets tackled for a loss, as that’s usually the result of a blocking breakdown.

And the stat treats any gain longer than 10 yards as if it were only a 10-yard gain, as anything beyond 10 yards usually isn’t the result of an offensive lineman’s block. By Adjusted Line Yards, the 2018 Rams set a new NFL record, with 5.49 adjusted line yards per carry.

Whether it’s Anderson stepping in from off the street and averaging 7.0 yards per carry, Gurley averaging 4.9 yards per carry, or Gurley’s backup Malcolm Brown averaging 4.9 yards per carry before he was injured late in the season, the Rams can run effectively with anyone carrying the ball. Enjoy watching Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Rodger Saffold, Austin Blythe and John Sullivan block on Sunday. You may never see a better run-blocking offensive line.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
For anyone that is a old Fantasy/Sci-Fi geek, there was a series of books based on the world of Gor. One of the titles was -------- God/Emperor of Gor. I think Kromer is worthy of the title God/Emperor of OLine.
I have a bunch of those gifted from my uncle. I think I only read one or two, them skipped ahead on deployment when I find a much later book. It was very... different in it's message.

But they started good.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would agree that this the best RUN blocking Ram OL since the 1980s.

Pro Football Focus (Naturally) thinks the NE Pats have the 2nd best OL entering post season.
https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/1/3...w-england-patriots-second-best-offensive-line

PFF rated all the OL's when the season concluded....NE Pats #2, LA Rams #6, NO Saints #8 & KC #13.

PFF stated "After such a hot start, the Rams offensive line getting exposed over the second half of the season was one of the more significant reasons for their offensive lull. Most notably, center John Sullivan’s play fell off a cliff down the stretch. After allowing four pressures through the first seven games, he allowed 32 over the last nine. Still, it’s one of the few lines in the NFL to have five starters play over 1,000 snaps."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...jaff&cjevent=8e8ec6e91c0911e98186005a0a1c0e0b

It's my belief that the Saints might have the best tandem pass blocking OT's in the NFL (Armstead & Ramczyk). Bree's is sure to get a ton of protection against our edge rushers however the middle of that OL will be the Saints Achilles Heel. With our DL & our two inside LB'ers, we should attack. Both Cory #58 & Mark #26 have great abilities to get skinny through the middle of all that beef traffic. Bree's has big issues when he can not step up.

Rams OL is much better generally overall & has really turned it up in the run blocking over the last month. Hard to ask for anything better from them....last Saturday they were a smooth strong operational RUN blocking OL. No other OL in the playoffs has looked & played this good.:bow:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
So Blythe had the big mouth. I was talking to an Eagles fan at work and told about this. Thought it was strange to talk about that they saw tells from the defensive line. Never give away your secrets.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled to hear him spout that shit out loud...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great Town and it was the last city that JFK was alive in, so there is that!

It is... and... it was, good call.
I was just being a jerk. The whole Dallas/Fort Worth area really is a neat place.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ve-the-best-run-blocking-offensive-line-ever/

For much of this season, Rams running back Todd Gurley was touted as an MVP candidate, as he racked up 100-yard games and scored more than one rushing touchdown per game. But then a funny thing happened at the end of the season: Gurley missed two games. And the Rams didn’t miss him at all.

C.J. Anderson, who had been cut three times in the previous 10 months and assumed his season was over, showed up off the street and promptly played even better than Gurley: Anderson ran for 167 yards and a touchdown in his first game as a Ram, 132 yards and a touchdown in his second game as a Ram, and 123 yards and two touchdowns while sharing time with Gurley in the Rams’ playoff opener.

The reason the Rams could lose Gurley and get even better with a guy who’d been cut three times in 10 months is the offensive line. It might be the best run-blocking offensive line ever.

If that sounds like hyperbole, consider the Football Outsiders stat Adjusted Line Yards, which takes all running back carries and assigns responsibility to the offensive line. The stat magnifies plays when the running back gets tackled for a loss, as that’s usually the result of a blocking breakdown.

And the stat treats any gain longer than 10 yards as if it were only a 10-yard gain, as anything beyond 10 yards usually isn’t the result of an offensive lineman’s block. By Adjusted Line Yards, the 2018 Rams set a new NFL record, with 5.49 adjusted line yards per carry.

Whether it’s Anderson stepping in from off the street and averaging 7.0 yards per carry, Gurley averaging 4.9 yards per carry, or Gurley’s backup Malcolm Brown averaging 4.9 yards per carry before he was injured late in the season, the Rams can run effectively with anyone carrying the ball. Enjoy watching Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Rodger Saffold, Austin Blythe and John Sullivan block on Sunday. You may never see a better run-blocking offensive line.
They played great last game. But best run blocking O line ever is just stupid. They are not even better than past great Rams O lines. The 70s O lines and certainly not better than the 80s great Rams O lines. France,Pankey, Hill, Smith, Saul, Harrah, Slayter ect. It was normal to see 3 Rams helmets on the Pro Bowl back then.
But the best run blocking O line ever was the early 90s Cowboys. E Smith was not THAT good. Plenty of 5 yard wide holes for him. Allen was a freak of nature. He could bench press 700 fucking pounds !!!. And could stand flat footed under a basket ball hoop jump up and one hand dunk. Our strongest guy is Saffold and he might put up 475lbs.
I worked with a guy who played D end for Humboldt State. Allen played at Sonoma State and he had to block him. This guy was 6' 6" and 270lbs. He said Allen was unbelievably strong. Made him feel like a little kid. One time he cut Allen on a rush. Next play Allen destroyed him and he got up literally looking out the ear hole of his helmet.
Never cut him again.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They played great last game. But best run blocking O line ever is just stupid. They are not even better than past great Rams O lines. The 70s O lines and certainly not better than the 80s great Rams O lines. France,Pankey, Hill, Smith, Saul, Harrah, Slayter ect. It was normal to see 3 Rams helmets on the Pro Bowl back then.
But the best run blocking O line ever was the early 90s Cowboys. E Smith was not THAT good. Plenty of 5 yard wide holes for him. Allen was a freak of nature. He could bench press 700 freaking pounds !!!. And could stand flat footed under a basket ball hoop jump up and one hand dunk. Our strongest guy is Saffold and he might put up 475lbs.
I worked with a guy who played D end for Humboldt State. Allen played at Sonoma State and he had to block him. This guy was 6' 6" and 270lbs. He said Allen was unbelievably strong. Made him feel like a little kid. One time he cut Allen on a rush. Next play Allen destroyed him and he got up literally looking out the ear hole of his helmet.
Never cut him again.
Havenstein was seen sitting next to Allen, and he said....
wp0Ndz4.jpg

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
If our O line moves people out and gets good second tier blocks like they did last week, this game is going to be fun to watch. Keeping Brees off the field with a great ground game is key to victory.