Houston Texans release D.J. Swearinger.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
The Houston Texan's released 2013 2nd round pick Safety DJ Swearinger.

Apparently, DJ wasn't because released because of injuries, poor play, or beating girlfriends. Reportedly, DJ thought his 2nd round draft status afforded him a free get out of Special Team Meetings card. DJ didn't want to play special teams.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

I remember a bunch of us on ROD were toying around with drafting DJ in the day. I remember DJ was on my short list of Safeties. Is DJ worth picking up on waivers? Could DJ Swearinger be a La'el Collins sweepstakes consolation prize?

Athos

Legend
I surely wanted Swearinger in that draft class of safeties.

He's not a FS though. And TJ Mac is superior in just about every way.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I like him as an upgrade over McLeod... he's more of a pure FS-type center fielder guy. But McLeod is just fine if the Rams are at all concerned about locker room quality, and it sounds like DJS isn't.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hah, @Athos calls him a SS, I call him a pure FS. Perhaps I should go re-watch his highlights...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I wanted him too, back when I obsessed over the draft.

Dude is overrated and basicalliy like Brandon Meriweather.

Besides we got TJ McDonald and Mark Barron.

SierraRam

Recreational User
From PD Star in Texas: Appearing in 32 games, Swearinger was drafted in the second round out of South Carolina and has totaled 144 tackles the past two seasons. With 3 interceptions, 10 pass deflections, and 4 forced fumbles, Swearinger has had some lapses on defense while playing in coverage and tackling, which has limited him as a player for the defense.

With the recent free agent additions of Rahim Moore and Stevie Brown, the Texans are trying to reshape their safety position to include better coverage players. Add in rookie Kurtis Drummond and second year player Lonnie Ballentine, and the Texans are more than ready to fill the void being left be Swearinger.

Not wanting to help on ST's; Lapses in coverage and tackling?.... No thanks

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Houston Texan's released 2013 2nd round pick Safety DJ Swearinger.

Apparently, DJ wasn't because released because of injuries, poor play, or beating girlfriends. Reportedly, DJ thought his 2nd round draft status afforded him a free get out of Special Team Meetings card. DJ didn't want to play special teams.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

I remember a bunch of us on ROD were toying around with drafting DJ in the day. I remember DJ was on my short list of Safeties. Is DJ worth picking up on waivers? Could DJ Swearinger be a La'el Collins sweepstakes consolation prize?

Only if he wants to volunteer for ST!
I surely wanted Swearinger in that draft class of safeties.

He's not a FS though. And TJ Mac is superior in just about every way.
You can't have too many Safeties though!

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I never really cared for the guy, I liked other safeties in that draft but I'm satisfied with our Safeties as of right now.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I liked him too fellas....Rambo, Kid that went to the Jags...TJ...not as much, but more than Vaccarro...damn I'm getting bad with names...oh and the dude with Frisco I wanted the most...Reid...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I liked him too fellas....Rambo, Kid that went to the Jags...TJ...not as much, but more than Vaccarro...damn I'm getting bad with names...oh and the dude with Frisco I wanted the most...Reid...

Jon Cyperion was the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

Bacarri Rambo a JAG too (not Jaguar lol)

Eric Reid? It's not like he single handily changed SF secondary like Troy Polamalu or Earl Thomas does.

Then there's Matt Elam on the Ravens. I think he's been the only noteworthy one.

jjab360

Legend
Jon Cyperion was the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

Bacarri Rambo a JAG too (not Jaguar lol)

Eric Reid? It's not like he single handily changed SF secondary like Troy Polamalu or Earl Thomas does.

Then there's Matt Elam on the Ravens. I think he's been the only noteworthy one.
It's starting to look like we got the best safety out of all of them.:D

Alan

Legend
Never liked him and I still don't.

I liked Reid who we could have taken had we not traded up. :( I also liked Vaccaro but not as much. Reid has turned out to be a middling S but PFF ranked Vaccaro the second worst safety in Tackling Efficiency last year. :LOL:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The rumor is, Swearinger was cut because the Texans front office viewed him as a negative influence on Clowney.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The rumor is, Swearinger was cut because the Texans front office viewed him as a negative influence on Clowney.

11083-fascinating-cat-meme-bubble-9Pdr.jpeg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pretty funny reading the comments. Good job on this one.

Gotta love blasts from the past. It's seriously awesome how completely wrong or right you can be when you're discussing prospects that you hope become Rams, but never actually become Rams.

It's fun to look back at the past, and see what you were wrong or right about. I'm more concerned about today and tomorrow, though. Pasts should be learned from, but never lived in.