Here's why Rams' Jared Goff had a 78-yard passing outing in loss to 49ers and why it's time to panic

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
73d3c560-944a-11e9-98b4-e86f85254d97

Jeff Eisenberg
Yahoo Sports•October 13, 2019

The 49ers defense hold the Rams offense in check

LOS ANGELES – At the end of a humbling 20-7 loss to San Francisco that seemed to signal a shift in the NFC West’s balance of power, Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff stared out at a sea of reporters and raised an important question.
“It’s a gut check,” he admitted. “Are you who you say you are?”
For the past three weeks, the Rams have looked nothing like the Super Bowl contenders they were expected to be. The longest losing streak of Sean McVay’s previously sterling tenure as head coach has left the reigning NFC champs in distant third place in their division and in jeopardy of missing the playoffs if they can’t turn things around in a hurry.

It didn’t seem like too big a deal when the Rams dumped a home game against Tampa Bay two weeks ago after their defense no-showed. It was more concerning when Greg Zuerlein’s missed field goal doomed them to a narrow loss at division rival Seattle last week. Now it’s panic time after the Rams suffered a convincing home loss in a game pitting the NFC West’s preseason favorite against an undefeated upstart seeking to dethrone them.

Oct 13, 2019; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff (16) is sacked by San Francisco 49ers defensive end Solomon Thomas (94) during the second half at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports

Solomon Thomas wraps up Jared Goff for a sack in San Francisco's dominant 20-7 victory against Los Angeles. (USA TODAY Sports)

San Francisco further validated its 5-0 start with a stifling defensive effort, limiting the Rams to 0-for-13 on third and fourth down and to just 78 yards through the air. The final score might have been even more one-sided had the 49ers not thrown an end-zone interception and failed to convert another first-and-goal chance into a touchdown.

“Was it a humbling day for us? Absolutely, but it’s something that we’re going to learn from,” McVay said. “We’re not going to let it demoralize us. That’s a good football team, they did a nice job, we didn’t do enough collectively.”
The knee-jerk reaction to the Rams’ recent woes is to blame Goff or to say that McVay has been figured out. In truth, the biggest problem is a revamped offensive line that so far has not been nearly good enough.

Whereas the Rams have enjoyed continuity on the offensive line in recent years, this past offseason they cut loose a pair of interior linemen with a combined 236 starts. The Rams also did not go outside the organization to replace center John Sullivan and guard Rodger Saffold, opting to gamble that young guys already on the roster could emerge as capable replacements.
The result has been a line that hasn’t consistently opened holes in the run game and hasn’t kept Goff upright long enough to connect downfield. Goff entered Sunday’s game having attempted the lowest percentage of 20-plus-yard passes among NFL starting quarterbacks, according to Pro Football Focus.

Aware that their line was unlikely to hold up against a relentless 49ers pass rush that has made life miserable for quarterbacks this season, the Rams altered their game plan to mask their flaws. They emphasized running the ball, even with Todd Gurley sidelined with a thigh contusion. When they passed, it was typically something underneath, a screen or a dump-off to a tight end or running back.
It worked, at first. All seven of the Rams’ plays were runs on a promising 56-yard opening drive that ended with a Robert Woods end-around for an 8-yard touchdown.
Eventually the 49ers adjusted and the Rams had no response, especially after left guard Joe Noteboom exited with a first-half leg injury. Once the 49ers stuffed both Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson at the goal line during the second quarter, the Rams did not penetrate the red zone the rest of the game.
Too often the Rams found themselves in third-and-long, and McVay seldom showed much faith in his offensive line. Goff threw second-quarter screen passes to Brandin Cooks and Cooper Kupp that went nowhere on third-and-13 and third-and-21. On third-and-18 early in the third quarter, Goff handed off to Henderson for a loss of two yards.

At one point early in the fourth quarter, Goff had 27 passing yards. At that time, his vaunted trio of elite wide receivers had more combined rushing yards than they had through the air.
When a two-score deficit forced the Rams to get more aggressive, it became obvious why the game plan had been so timid for three quarters. Solomon Thomas, Dee Ford and Arik Armstead each recorded second-half sacks as Goff struggled in the face of constant pressure and McVay failed to introduce a scheme that could help him.
“We’ve got some injury stuff and we’re not playing well enough,” veteran offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth said. “We’re in the hole trying to figure things out how to overcome those things. It’s something this team hasn’t done the past couple years. We’ve stayed really healthy. So it’s a new experience.”
While the Rams’ margin for error to stay in the NFC West race is diminishing rapidly, all hope is not lost for one of the NFL’s most talented teams.
One silver lining is that Sunday’s one-sided loss did not come against a mediocre opponent. The 49ers are the NFC’s lone unbeaten team for a reason and their front seven is going to make a lot of offensive lines look overmatched.
Another silver lining is the Rams’ upcoming schedule softens. They have a chance to get right against struggling Atlanta and winless Cincinnati before facing Pittsburgh.
A third silver lining for the Rams is that nobody in their locker room appears to be pointing fingers. Goff, Kupp and Woods each declined to place blame on any one unit and insisted they are confident a reversal of fortune is coming.

Are the Rams who we’ve said they are? Goff says they aren’t yet but they will be.
“We’ve got the players that we need and we’ve got the coaches that we need,” Goff said. “We just need to be better and haven’t been. Again, it’s myself included and everyone else on the offense. We will get it fixed and be better.”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why it's not time to hit the panic button on the Rams ... yet
usatsi_13511813.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 4 hours ago

If you looked at Twitter after the Rams’ 20-7 loss to the 49ers on Sunday, you’d think the sky was falling in Los Angeles. Sean McVay has suddenly turned into Jeff Fisher, Jared Goff has regressed to his 2016 level, and Wade Phillips’ defense is no longer capable of stopping anyone. At least, that’s what some on Twitter are saying.
Sure, the loss was disappointing and raised some red flags, specifically on offense after Goff threw for just 78 yards on 24 attempts – but the Rams aren’t suddenly a bottom-10 team in the NFL, nor was McVay a flash in the pan.

It’s not time to reach for the panic button … yet.
At 3-3, the Rams are still very much in the mix in the NFC West and haven’t fallen out of the race for a playoff spot. There are six teams in the NFC sitting between 2-3-1 and 2-1-1 right now and the Rams are right in the middle. They’re one game out of the sixth seed in the conference with two favorable matchups in the next two weeks: the Falcons and Bengals.

They could very easily go into their Week 9 bye at 5-3. It’s not nearly as impressive as their 8-0 start from last season, and they already have as many losses as they had in 16 games a year ago, but 5-3 at the break is no reason for panic.

Of course, the Rams have to win their next two games in order to reach that point, but given the combined record of 1-11 for their next two opponents, that’s very doable. The Rams have a great chance to snap their three-game losing streak in Week 7 on the road against the Falcons, who can’t seem to stop anyone.

The talent is still prevalent in Los Angeles. The receiving corps of Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp might be the best in the NFL. It was the only trio with at least 300 yards in the first five weeks. The run defense held San Francisco, which ranked first in rushing, to only 99 yards on the ground Sunday. Aaron Donald still wears horns on his helmet, last time we checked.

On paper, the Rams are a Super Bowl-caliber team. But games aren’t played on paper or won on the stat sheet. It takes a complete team effort to win consistently in this league, which the Rams have shown in the past two years.
All that said, there are reasons for concern. Los Angeles was 0-for-9 on third down and 0-for-4 on fourth down against the 49ers. Goff had 78 yards passing in an era where it’s almost impossible to finish with fewer than 100 yards. Outside of Aaron Donald, the Rams only got two hits on Jimmy Garoppolo, despite the 49ers starting two backups at tackle.

The offensive line has allowed more pressures than any other unit in the NFL and just surrendered five quarterback hits and four sacks to the 49ers, continuing a trend of porous protection up front.
The sloppy play, turnovers and penalties are worrisome, too. Far too often, the Rams beat themselves with mental mistakes and pre-snap errors. Dante Fowler Jr.’s offsides penalty extended the 49ers’ drive in the first quarter, and Mike Thomas’ illegal shift cost Los Angeles a possession.
Those mistakes don’t necessarily show up in the box score, but they had a profound impact on this game.

If these offensive struggles continue into Weeks 7 and 8, it’ll be time to hit the panic button. If Goff doesn’t turn it around against arguably the worst pass defense in the NFL (the Falcons) and the pass rush can’t take advantage of a bottom-three offensive line (the Bengals’), it’ll be extremely concerning for the Rams.

But for now, do what the players and coaches will do and move on from this one. The current trend is worrisome, but the Rams are too good to continue losing the way they have. The next two matchups come at a perfect time for Los Angeles.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Hmmm, its nice being a Rams fan for so long as you can read through both sides of the hype. If a team panics they are done....most teams don't panic. Teams that keep trying to do the same things over and over while failing are doomed.

I don't care about panic, this team has let me down for decades.......I know they will tank at least 4 more games this year and will rebuild next year.

Being optimistic with the Rams at this time makes me chuckle......I have seen this for so many years.....I do not see any happy ending here and I don't care what the media says about doom or hope. They are full of crap no matter what.

I'll say what I also say about the Rams, "It's their job to show me they deserve my attention".....that's what an entertainment business does.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The final score might have been even more one-sided had the 49ers not thrown an end-zone interception and failed to convert another first-and-goal chance into a touchdown.

Really? Is that what you saw you doomsdayer?

That fact is the rams forced those plays.

Here's the reality. Fowler jumped offside on 3rd down on the second drive for the whiners where they failed to convert. He had no impact on that play except to give them a second chance which they turned into a td. Littleton dropped a gift wrapped pick 6 just before the half. Henderson fumbled a pitch on the first play of the second half which the whiners turned into a td.

That's a 21 point turn around. The plays either side of the half were a 14 point turn around. If the rams don't make those unforced mistakes who knows what might have happened. The whiners did nothing to force those mistakes. It was all the rams.

So stop blowing smoke up the whiners' arse. The rams gave them the game because they allowed them to play the game they wanted, not the game the rams should have forced them to play if they weren't so undisciplined.

TexasRam

Legend
The penalties are destroying us.

We still have an excellent chance at the playoffs with our schedule.

But if Noteboom is out long term and we try to do this with Demby, the season is over.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
3-3 guys, I cant believe so many people are writing this team off.

And wont watch them play? Sorry but that's a coward move.

I'm a fan no matter what ! And I'll be watching ! This team just played in the super bowl

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm not a fan of our team getting to the playoffs by the skin of our teeth. That just guarantees you a one and out. Playoffs should not even be a thought right now. We need to fix our problems first just to even be able to make the rest of the season watchable, imo.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter

I'm a fan no matter what ! And I'll be watching ! This team just played in the super bowl
The only reason we have a chance is our schedule. This is not the same team as last year. If we somehow sneak into playoffs, something drastic will have to change for us to not be a one and done team. And yes, I will still be watching as well. If they lose any of the next two games, they are not making the playoffs.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

You're correct, but ...

Holy dear god yes, please stop watching and bitching about the results if you don't have the stomach for it.

Or at least, consider that not everyone is going to have the same emotional reaction to what they are observing, especially as it pertains to a state of misery over what is supposed to be entertainment :)

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Reportedly Aaron Kromer pounded the table to resign Rodger Saffold but was out-voted 4-1 (Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff -Snead-McVay-Wade).

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
We still have an excellent chance at the playoffs with our schedule.

But if Noteboom is out long term and we try to do this with Demby, the season is over.
It makes me wonder what's wrong with Bobby Evans and David Edwards.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This a talented team. VERY talented.

The o-line is a weakness. It is by far not the weakest o-line in the league. Many playoff and championship teams have average o-lines. And a great coach will adjust to their strengths AND weaknesses.

When an o-line looks overwhelmed is because the offense is not schemed correctly. They are bull rushing the line because of predictability. They back off where other protections are needed and there simply is no need to adjust with this offense.

McVay is suppose to be this genius coach. The past 7 games I have not witnessed any genius in his leadership.

McVay needs a paradigm shift. I am tired of jet sweeps.

jap

Legend
Reportedly Aaron Kromer pounded the table to resign Rodger Saffold but was out-voted 4-1 (Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff -Snead-McVay-Wade).

I was really, really surprised when they let Beetlejuice go. No other OL guy added more to the rush game than he did.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
The reality is this: we're very talented. But without an OL, that talent from the skillset positions are borderline useless. McVay needs to get creative with our turnstile OL, which is easier said than done. I hope we invest heavily this offseason on the OL.

Personally, at this point, I'd be surprised if we make the wildcard spot, but I'll hold out hope. I'd love to think McVay and Co. can right the ship at 3-3, but after yesterday I'm not holding my breath. That said, I don't think we're far away from being a contender again. We need OL + depth, and a revamping of our CBs (and some help at DL would be nice).

Again, not far off, but let's be real with ourselves, Super Bowl hangovers are for real. Hopefully this will be a season of painful growth...

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
If the goal is to win a SB then the sky is falling. This team is only a couple losses away from being eliminated from post season play.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
one other play that I recall was the high pointed 3rd and 18 pass that hit Reynolds smack in the hands and he dropped what would have been a huge conversion.....