Henry Ellard: Maybe this is why my HOF candidacy has stalled

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/henry-ellard-interview/

2a6df2d0ccdb7da3f5b142b4333cdf68.jpg

Henry Ellard could catch. He could block. He produced first downs. He produced touchdowns. And he returned punts. So why isn’t he on the short list for Canton? Good question. Not only hasn’t he ever been a finalist. He’s never been a Hall-of-Fame semifinalist.

So what gives?

Ellard has an idea, and he shared them with us on the latest Talk of Fame Network broadcast. The way he sees it, there are two factors working against him – beginning with the Rams’ 1995 move to St. Louis.

“I proved the point that I could still play at a high level even though it was with a different team,” he said. “I think really what hurt more than anything else is that, once I left the Rams, the Rams left L.A. and moved to St. Louis. So I think you kind of get lost there in that move, more than anything else. You don’t have the coverage in L.A. where I had the majority of my career. All that moved to St. Louis. And I’m not known in St. Louis. That’s for sure.”

He’s right about that. Ellard is … and always will be associated … with the L.A. Rams. But which quarterback do you think of when you mention his name? Jim Everett? Chris Chandler? Jeff Kemp? Steve Dils? They all threw to him. And so did others.

“When I compare myself to guys who are already there,” he said of the Hall, “the only question … and something I have always asked .. is (what would have happened) if I would have had the opportunity to play with some of the quarterbacks these Hall of Famers have played with — compared to my career where I played with 10 different quarterbacks? And yet the body of work still speaks for itself.

“Even though I worked and played with 10 different quarterbacks, compared to some of these guys that had a Hall-of-Fame quarterback after another Hall-of-Fame quarterback that they played with. I never got that opportunity to play with a Hall-of-Fame quarterback, so who knows what might have happened if I had that opportunity?”

Tim Brown voiced the same concerns about his career, especially after he had been a Hall-of-Fame finalist six years before finally crossing the threshold in 2015.

“And that’s what I would speak on more than anything else,” said Ellard. “The Joe Montanas, the Steve Youngs, the Troy Aikmans, the Jim Kellys of the world that became Hall of Famers I can only (dream) of what might’ve been if I had that opportunity.”

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Loved watching Henry as a young kid along with Flipper. What a duo they were in 89' and 90' with Jim Everett throwing them the ball (y). Henry should no doubt be in the HOF. Thats why i have the 80 in my name an ode to 2 of the Rams all time greats in my lifetimes (Bruce and Ellard).

tempests

Hall of Fame
He was also overshadowed by Rice, Irvin, Carter, Largent, Lofton, Brown.

His candidacy was lost in the wash like other very good receivers like Otis Taylor, Billy Wilson, Stanley Morgan, Harold Jackson. It is what it is.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm young so I don't know anything about him... I was just watching a video it said that he went to 4 pro bowls and has 4 all pro seasons. They were all in the eighties and he played until late 90s. That's probably the reason.. like @tempests said he was overshadowed by the Rice, Irvin,etc

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was great for a few years....If those 80's Rams won a Super Bowl, he'd be in Canton..

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He wasn't a diva. That and WR is the toughest position to get in to the Hall.

Might be something to what he says too: Ike and Holt are both better statistically than guys who are being force fed to the process.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm young so I don't know anything about him... I was just watching a video it said that he went to 4 pro bowls and has 4 all pro seasons. They were all in the eighties and he played until late 90s. That's probably the reason.. like @tempests said he was overshadowed by the Rice, Irvin,etc
hmmm....never thought of that....Ellard could really play...great at timing routes...fast....not spectacular...just a solid player...

Another guy (Bruce, Preston Dennard, flipper) I'd like to come on back and coach up these guys....maybe they could get Quick to remember the audibles.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Loved him as a Ram, worried that all three eligible Ram receivers might not get in.
Ellard was freaking money, he did everything right.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He was money on 3rd downs. Great player for sure, but HOF worthy??? I don't know if he can really make a solid case for that.

He makes a fantastic point about how much a great QB can make all the difference in the world... especially for a WR. Fantastic QBs have been hard to find from the beginning of time. He lists having 10 or more QBs throwing him the ball back then. Funny how we're still on the hunt... as is every other team... for the next fantastic QB. They just are so hard to come by.

I loved me some Ellard... hated when he left us. I hope he gets in the HOF, but I don't think he has a real shot.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
biggest problem for WRs is the bar set by WRs back then is so low compared to where it is now in this pass happy league. Average WRs can put up similar numbers to great receivers of the past which really makes it tough to judge. There will likely be a log jam for WRs to enter the HoF for many many years

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/henry-ellard-interview/

2a6df2d0ccdb7da3f5b142b4333cdf68.jpg

Henry Ellard could catch. He could block. He produced first downs. He produced touchdowns. And he returned punts. So why isn’t he on the short list for Canton? Good question. Not only hasn’t he ever been a finalist. He’s never been a Hall-of-Fame semifinalist.

So what gives?

Ellard has an idea, and he shared them with us on the latest Talk of Fame Network broadcast. The way he sees it, there are two factors working against him – beginning with the Rams’ 1995 move to St. Louis.

“I proved the point that I could still play at a high level even though it was with a different team,” he said. “I think really what hurt more than anything else is that, once I left the Rams, the Rams left L.A. and moved to St. Louis. So I think you kind of get lost there in that move, more than anything else. You don’t have the coverage in L.A. where I had the majority of my career. All that moved to St. Louis. And I’m not known in St. Louis. That’s for sure.”

He’s right about that. Ellard is … and always will be associated … with the L.A. Rams. But which quarterback do you think of when you mention his name? Jim Everett? Chris Chandler? Jeff Kemp? Steve Dils? They all threw to him. And so did others.

“When I compare myself to guys who are already there,” he said of the Hall, “the only question … and something I have always asked .. is (what would have happened) if I would have had the opportunity to play with some of the quarterbacks these Hall of Famers have played with — compared to my career where I played with 10 different quarterbacks? And yet the body of work still speaks for itself.

“Even though I worked and played with 10 different quarterbacks, compared to some of these guys that had a Hall-of-Fame quarterback after another Hall-of-Fame quarterback that they played with. I never got that opportunity to play with a Hall-of-Fame quarterback, so who knows what might have happened if I had that opportunity?”

Tim Brown voiced the same concerns about his career, especially after he had been a Hall-of-Fame finalist six years before finally crossing the threshold in 2015.

“And that’s what I would speak on more than anything else,” said Ellard. “The Joe Montanas, the Steve Youngs, the Troy Aikmans, the Jim Kellys of the world that became Hall of Famers I can only (dream) of what might’ve been if I had that opportunity.”
"It's a Dirty-Rotten-Shame he's never even been a Finalist!!" He should be in the Hall of Fame if you look at his Career!!(y)(y):yay:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Henry Ellard's Caree Stats:
* 3 time Pro Bowler
* 2 time All Pro
* 11 Seasons / 158 games Played
* 593 receptions for 9761 Yards / 16.5 yard Average / a long of 81 yards
* 48 TD's
* 135 Punt Returns for 1527 yards and 4 TD's w/ a Long of 83 Yards
* 19 Kick Returns for 364 yards
And these are just his Regular season stats, you can add in his Post Season games!!

henry_ellard4.jpg

Ellard3.jpg

Ellard80

Legend
After the mega influx of pass happy offenses since the late 90's...

He is still 13th ALL time in receiving yards... more than Torry Holt.

Ellard80

Legend
Over 2000 more career yards than Michael Irvin... more career receptions and about the same career TD's

Unfortunately its all about those super bowls...

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Henry Ellard's Caree Stats:
* 3 time Pro Bowler
* 2 time All Pro
* 11 Seasons / 158 games Played
* 593 receptions for 9761 Yards / 16.5 yard Average / a long of 81 yards
* 48 TD's
* 135 Punt Returns for 1527 yards and 4 TD's w/ a Long of 83 Yards
* 19 Kick Returns for 364 yards
And these are just his Regular season stats, you can add in his Post Season games!!

View attachment 17305
View attachment 17306
I think those are stats while with Rams.13,777 rec yds

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think those are stats while with Rams.13,777 rec yds
You are correct, they are just his stats with the Rams. That's all I had. I should have qualified what I gave as his starts!(y):D And by the way, his total career reception average is 16.9!!