Havenstein learns lessons during Rams' OTAs/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Havenstein learns lessons during Rams' OTAs
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1557215-havenstein-learns-lessons-during-rams-otas

ST. LOUIS — Rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein learned plenty of lessons during the Rams’ three weeks of OTA sessions. The second-round pick received some of those courtesy of veteran defensive ends Chris Long and William Hayes.
Asked what he learned from Long and Hayes during OTAs, the second-round pick from the University of Wisconsin first laughed.

“I think the biggest lesson is to stay technical with what you’re doing,” Havenstein said, “because if you don’t you’re going to get a lesson real quick as he’s turning the edge and getting by you or doing something to you where it’s blowing the play up or taking an inside move if you overset him or anything like that. You have to be a technician going against those guys because they are such good players.”

The 6-foot-7, 321-pounder said there was definitely learning curve during the OTA practice sessions. He acknowledged that it’s something he needs to improve on.

But Havenstein also said that Long, the No. 2 overall pick in 2008 who has 51.5 career sacks to his credit, has been helpful to the rookie right tackle when the two have talked.

“It hasn’t been extensive talk,” Havenstein said. “Obviously they are in their meeting rooms and I’m in mine and I’m getting great coaching there, but just a thing or two that Chris has said to me has been very helpful.”

The Rams’ revamped offensive line got plenty of work during OTAs against a defensive front that ranks among the best in the game.

The group that St. Louis put on the field offensively during team drills also lacked two starters, left tackle Greg Robinson and left guard Rodger Saffold, which hurt their cause against the defensive line.

So for much of the past three weeks of on-field work you had Havenstein, rookie right guard Jamon Brown, a third-round pick, the team’s three-man center rotation and then reserves at left tackle and left guard going up against established pros like ends Long and Robert Quinn and tackles Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Nick Fairley.

Lessons were certainly learned.

They weren’t always pretty, but they were learned one way or another.

Havenstein cited the biggest adjustment for him, making the transition from playing college football to the NFL, as the speed of the game.

“Every time you jump up a level you’re going against better athletes and when you jump to the NFL it’s going to be the best of the best,” he said. “We’re lucky enough to have some of the best of the best just on the opposite side of the ball that we practice against every day. It was obviously an adjustment and I’m still trying to get there. The goal is not to lose a rep, but it’s just that challenge every day to get better and better.”

The Rams are hoping the lessons learned during OTAs, and later on in training camp, will help its new-look offensive line come together quickly to make an impact this season. They will need those guys to step up and contribute after releasing two veteran starters in the offseason and allowing two others to leave as unrestricted free agents.

Havenstein, who was a three-year starter at right tackle for the Badgers’ run-heavy offense, is doing everything he can to put himself into position to contribute this season. He said while the Rams’ playbook has some similarities to what he did at Wisconsin, he is working on taking what he knows and incorporating that into what he’s being taught now by veteran offensive line coach Paul Boudreau.

“I think Coach Boudreau has done a heck of a job,” Havenstein said. “Obviously he knows what he’s talking about. The proof’s in the pudding. He’s a heck of an o-line coach. He’s been around for a long time. He definitely knows what he’s talking about, so I’m just going to try to take as much as I can from him and be a better offensive lineman.”

Those lessons figure to pay off for Havenstein eventually, but the Rams will hope that they do sooner rather than later.

Alan

Legend
Nate Latsch wrote:
So for much of the past three weeks of on-field work you had Havenstein, rookie right guard Jamon Brown, a third-round pick, the team’s three-man center rotation and then reserves at left tackle and left guard going up against established pros like ends Long and Robert Quinn and tackles Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Nick Fairley.
Does anybody know who they had as the primary backups at LG and LT?

Alan

Legend
LumberTubs with the answer:
I seem to remember reading that Brandon Washington was playing LT. Not sure about LG - maybe Reynolds.
Thank you sir! :)

Brandon Washington at LT? :eek:

Please stay healthy GR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thank you sir! :)

Brandon Washington at LT? :eek:

Please stay healthy GR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind during the year Saffold should be the primary back up LT with Reynolds moving into LG. Also Washington has not been as bad as Sean Hooey, however, that's why I hold out hope for UDRFA Darrell Williams from Southern Florida who in 12 career starts at LT only gave up two sacks so we shall see.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach with reassuring news:
Keep in mind during the year Saffold should be the primary back up LT with Reynolds moving into LG. Also Washington has not been as bad as Sean Hooey, however, that's why I hold out hope for UDRFA Darrell Williams from Southern Florida who in 12 career starts at LT only gave up two sacks so we shall see.
OK den, I've got to have a little fun with this. Fun as in an attempt to laugh to keep from crying. :LOL:

Warning, the following is largely tongue-n-cheek:

So our backup plan is to move our only other experienced O-liner to a position on the O-line for which he, after his initial year, has never been able to keep from getting injured and who, after his initial year, has proved he is unable to play that skill position with any skill. A backup plan that is far better than the backup to the backup plan. Speaking of which...

So our backup to the backup plan is to play Washington whose main claim to fame is that he's "not been as bad as Sean Hooey." The same Sean Hooey who couldn't even make it through the Jet's off season and was recently waived and picked up as a camp body by the Whiners. http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/6/...kle-sean-hooey-off-waivers-from-new-york-jets

And so endeth the tongue-in-cheek (but not humorous I hope) segment of our program.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWWofjzjKM

And now, how about some coffee?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzGZ6Jk90Y

And now for something completely different...a serious response:

I totally meant no offense to you with this response den and in my defense, I'm soooooo bored and like I so often do, I found some humor (humorous to me anyway) in your reply.

Please stay healthy GR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Somethings never change where our best interior OL sure looks to be the primary back up to Robinson in 2015. I think this plan where Saffold is the main back up to Robinson came early last season when it was clear that Long was in a decline before the Long injury. Boudreau flipped Saffold back in @ OLG from ORG when Robinson was installed as our new long time starter @ OLT.

Last time Fisher has had a bona fide back up to the starting OLT was Wayne Hunter for four games in 2012 season. Hunter surprised everybody with his performance after the trade between him & Jason Smith. Hunter had been a failure all his pro life @ ORT & Boudreau installs him in @ OLT & never missed a beat. Hunter was soon injured & Barksdale made his initial 2 game starts @ OLT as a Ram(it was a disaster). Since then the fall back plan remains Rodger Saffold. In truth it would have been a good plan if they has some good OG's on the 2013/2014 roster.

We have many members who feel that Saffold should be the starter @ ORG even today. I was hoping early before the draft that Fisher would finally address this ongoing issue but it was not. Instead Fisher/Boudreau (being much smarter than me)....are sticking with last seasons plan, that they felt conformable with. As we know now Snead instead went out & secured many real good options for both OG posts. Snead now has NINE options @ OG presently.

The first option has already been put into action where starting OLG Rodger Saffold has been undergoing a long rehabbing event from shoulder surgery. 2015 UFA top OL signing 7 yr vet Garrett Reynolds has been 1st team starter @ OLG. Another Boudreau OG option was also assigned to first team as a starter. 3rd round selection Jamon Brown was playing ORG. Another Boudreau OLG option was on the 1st team OL was Brandon Washington who was @ left OT post. Other interior options abound with Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal, Demetrius Rhaney, Barrett Jones & David Wang.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I want Chris Long and Young Mr Rob Havenstein to have as many one on one conversations where Chris can tell and teach the ROOKIE just exactly what he is doing wrong and giving him EVERY TELL that Chris is reading from him. Learning that very little is being exchanged between them on a one on one basis is very scary to me after all those days of OTA's . Rob Havenstein can't glean everything from coach Boudreau alone. Long, Quinn and all other defenders need to give away secrets to bring our two rookie starters up to speed as soon as possible. Please share the wealth guys.