Gurley and Mason in the same Backfield?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Probably a really stupid question but do you think we will see Todd Gurley (When he gets healthy!) and Tre Mason in the same backfield together much this season? I think Gurley is a special player and when he gets healthy he will be the Rams #1 RB but I also think Mason is a quality RB who should see the field quite a bit this season. I don't know if either RB is much of a blocker so this may not be much of an option but I would think if they could both be on the field at the same time that could open up some offensive possibilities for the Rams.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't see them in the same backfield a lot. I think you need as many blockers as you can have. But I can see them combining for 30 carries a game. Imagine each of them carrying the ball 150 times for 700 or 800 yards apiece? That would be a heckuva running game. And it would set up play action nicely for Foles.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see them in the same backfield a lot. I think you need as many blockers as you can have. But I can see them combining for 30 carries a game. Imagine each of them carrying the ball 150 times for 700 or 800 yards apiece? That would be a heckuva running game. And it would set up play action nicely for Foles.

I would also think if they can share the load that would help keep them both fresh and healthy for the PLAYOFFS!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley hasn't really sniffed the field yet, but part of tools in toolbox he supposedly has is running ability, catching ability, and BLOCKING ability. Now college and the pro's are vastly diferent in a lot of ways, but it seems th biggest part of this is the "want to" to be good at blocking...I think its possible to see a two back scheme every once in a while.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Jeff Fisher could definitely do this. Could implement it into a shotgun formation like they ran at Philly (helping Foles), with each back on either side of him. Either of them can block, take a handoff, or run routes in both directions, so defenses really have to be careful.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'm certainly hopeful for some two back sets, to include a fullback like maybe Laskey.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
If Gurley proves to be a pass catching threat and able to make people miss him early then we will see both in the same backfield along with every combination Cigs' mind can come up with in his mind. We should never stop expanding what we do on offense. Heres to Great health for our team as a whole this season. One day at a time. Take what they give ya. Hope Mason and Gurly and Cunningham too challenge each other to play better than they could alone. LETS ROLL!!!

…..

Legend
I doubt we ever see them in a pro formation or an "I"

But I could imagine them lining up that way with Mason going in motion or shifting to a T

I'm assuming Mason would be the guy (initially) that would be more dependable catching the ball.

BUT.......be careful adding any new plays or gadget formations. Its taken us a couple YEARS to get Tavon Austin caught up on the playbook. Adding new stuff would surely stunt his progress ;)

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes please.. throw in Tavon also and we have a very diverse backfield all at the same time. The defense will be shitting bricks.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I want to see Gurley and Pead in the same back field. Pead can run well, catch well, and block well. If is knee is fine its about time he gets some playing time, and NOT at kickoff returning. Then line up Harkey as a TE with Austin and Bailey as the WR.
Is it going to be a run? To who? Or is Robinson, the LG, Harkey, and Pead going to flatten people as Gurley runs for a TD.
Is it going to be a pass to a RB out of the backfield? To who?
Is it going to be a quick slant to a WR? Or is going to be a play action with Austin running past everyone for the long bomb?
If it's Gurley three times up the middle I'll scream.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I want to see Gurley and Pead in the same back field. Pead can run well, catch well, and block well. If is knee is fine its about time he gets some playing time, and NOT at kickoff returning.

A Pead fan!

martes.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes please.. throw in Tavon also and we have a very diverse backfield all at the same time. The defense will be crapping bricks.

yep, more likely gurley and tavon back there. man i hope the lights come on for tavon this year.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PLAYOFFS!? YOU TALKIN BOUT PLAYOFFS!??

Call me Crazy BUT I do think the Rams will surprise a LOT of people and make the Playoffs this season! Their Defense should be very, very good (Possibly the best in the NFL) and I am expecting their Offense to be a lot better than last season thanks to a better (Although, younger) Offensive Line and Nick Foles!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Did I go in a coma for year? When has Isiah Pead proven ANYTHING to be considered "good"?