Gregg Williams Wife: Holistic Practitioner Some Rams Swear By

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Meet Dr. Erin Shannon, the holistic practitioner several Rams and other athletes swear by

By Elisabeth Meinecke

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...veral-rams-and-other-athletes-swear-by-061615

ST. LOUIS -- In 2011, Joe Buck was having the worst year of his broadcast career.

Early on, he'd visited vocal expert Dr. Steven Zeitels for help with a vocal cord that had been paralyzed from nerve damage. If anyone could fix the problem, it was Zeitels, whose Rolodex of clients, from Adele to Steven Tyler, read like a Grammy awards list. But his prognosis on Buck was bleak: While there were outlier cases, the rule of thumb was if his voice didn't return to normal in three months, it likely wasn't going to -- ever.

It's over, the FOX Sports broadcaster thought when he heard the news. Not being able to talk at full volume, in his profession, was crippling. He felt embarrassed and grew reclusive. He didn't want to talk on the phone. He didn't want to be social.

That October, however, during the National League Championship Series, Buck ran into childhood friend Dr. Erin Shannon. The two were almost like siblings -- they'd grown up in the back of the Cardinals' radio booth together, he the son of legendary Cardinals voice Jack Buck, she the daughter of the elder Buck's broadcast partner, Mike Shannon. Now a practicing psychologist, Erin had recently incorporated a form of holistic treatment known as energy medicine into her work with professional athletes and had experienced success helping them rehab from physical ailments.

"I can help you," she told Buck. "I can fix you."

Buck, at that point, was willing to try anything. They began a series of noninvasive treatments, and as the major league postseason progressed, so did Buck's rehabilitation -- so much so that by the time David Freese hit one of the most electrifying home runs in World Series history, his call was memorable enough to help capture an Emmy for outstanding play-by-play that season.

"(It) was ironic and weird that I won it for that year because the year wasn't good," Buck admits. "But the postseason was really good, and that's specifically when I worked with Erin."

He continued sessions with her through the NFL season and visited Zeitels again in early 2012. The doctor took a first look, then a second at the previously paralyzed vocal cord. He was blown away.

"It's moving," Buck says Zeitels told him. "It's fine."

Buck admits there are still some days even now, three years later, when he'll struggle with his voice, but that there are other days when he feels it's even better than before the problem arose. Overall, he feels close enough to 100 percent on a daily basis that he thinks no one would ever notice he had an issue.

"I'm forever indebted to (Erin) for all of it," he says.

Dr. Erin Shannon is a holistic practitioner with more than 22 degrees and certifications in both Eastern and Western medicine, and her ability to help athletes -- and yes, at least one prominent broadcaster -- recover from injury, or improve the mental side of their game, has drawn players from around the world to seek her help. Some of the toughest guys in the NFL walk through the doors of her St. Louis office, and she's also treated MLB, NHL, MLS and NBA players, and even MMA fighters.

One of her biggest advocates is husband and St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who has witnessed her success helping athletes heal from injury quicker than their estimated recovery time. Some of her biggest fans are the clients who've felt the results, such as Buck.

"She's got a great diagnostic ability to figure out what's wrong with somebody," Buck says. "And, I think, maybe as importantly -- or even more importantly -- how to fix it."

The field of energy medicine itself is based on an understanding of the body that's rarely encountered in traditional Western medicine.

"It is literally the electric energy that runs through our body, just like blood runs through our body," Shannon explains.

It hinges on the belief in a strong mind-body connection, a common theme in Eastern medicine, and its noninvasive approach, Shannon says, complements Western medicine's work. She's well versed in both schools of thought, but it's the former that has proved game-changing in her work with professional athletes.

One energy medicine service particularly useful to athletes is the ability to maintain strength in their muscles post-surgery, even when they cannot work out. Using visual imagery and energy techniques, an athlete can prevent atrophy and shorten his or her recovery period by as much as 50 percent. So, if they've had surgery, say, on their right leg, they can walk into the training room however many weeks later without atrophy in the limb.

"We will cut recovery times in half," Shannon says. "And recovery is 100 percent, meaning we don't have weakness in that leg."

According to Shannon, the process involves releasing the memory of the trauma from the muscle tissue and the fascia.

“I'm about as much science as I can be with it, and I'm about helping people.”

"The body remembers the trauma," she explains. "The mind might be sleeping from the anesthesia, but those muscles feel you cutting."

The technique can even help target a nagging health concern that hasn't required surgery. Shannon once treated a client who'd been cut from a professional team due to a recurring hamstring problem. He's since played professionally for four seasons (and counting).

Because her approach to an athlete's health, however, is holistic, Shannon's treatments generally provide both mental and physical benefits. Rams defensive end William Hayes initially came to her because of tightness issues and lower back pain, but says the sessions make him feel better mentally, too.

"I went to work a lot of times saying, 'I'm tired today, I'm not going to have a good day,'" he says. "She put in my mind to always say positive thoughts, and when you say positive thoughts, your body actually reacts to it. And I find that to be very true."

In fact, the common refrain among Shannon's clients is her help with the mental side of their sport, which they believe many athletes ignore, to their detriment.

"I think so often guys get so caught up in, 'Oh, I need to lift weights, I need to take care of my playbook, I need to take care of running,'" says Rams defensive end Chris Long, another Shannon client. "Football is such a mental game. It's such an emotional game as well, and I think a lot of what she does can cross over into that."

Linebacker James Laurinaitis agrees. He heard about Shannon's work through some of his teammates and became a client of hers last year. He's been most drawn to the mental aspect of her techniques, or "mental coaching," as he calls it, and says he noticed a difference even in training camp.

"I think as an athlete you always have self-doubt in certain areas," he says, "so having that mental ability to kind of flip your thought process and try to really tell your mind that maybe things aren't as difficult as you think they are, and don't be afraid of certain things -- I really found myself throughout the year, and really throughout training camp, just kind of using the techniques that she's taught about really positive self-talk and really getting rid of all the negative kind of baggage that can weigh you down throughout a game."

Shannon's husband, meanwhile, sees how guys who earn their pay exuding strength and fearlessness can gain an advantage from having an outlet to purge vulnerabilities.

"Sometimes it's hard for a guy like that to let the door down and be honest with a coach. Talk about a weakness. Maybe get tears in his eyes," Williams says. "The fact that she, from a psychological aspect, has been tremendous with these guys on being able to get them through some tough times in their life, some tough days in their life, some tough situations in their life, things they're going through, has been monumental."

In addition to the emotional and physical aspects of her practice, Shannon also aids athletes in developing a skill that all superstars in sports have: Instinct.

People often say an athlete is "in the zone" when the player is at peak performance. At that moment, the athlete's focus, control and ability to anticipate opponents seem almost inexplicable, and thus a cliche phrase covers what observers can't explain. Often, the athlete can't articulate it, either.

Shannon can.

"It's that moment of optimal awareness where time slows down, crowd noise goes away, and you feel your senses heightened," she explains. "You can feel like you can sense what everybody's movements are going to be. You can sense the trajectory of the ball. You can feel the wind."

Just like continuous reps help build a certain muscle group or skill, Shannon's techniques can strengthen an athlete's ability to get back to that heightened sensory state, enabling him or her to perform at peak level, again and again.

"The greatest athletes know how to get there, and they can get there all the time," she says.

If it all still sounds hard to quantify, that's because it is. Even Shannon's athlete patients have a hard time articulating what she does.

"You should go in and see Doc Shannon," they'll tell one of their buddies.

"Why, what does she do?"

"Just go in and see it, because I can't even explain it to you."

Originally, Shannon was supposed to be the athlete, not the doctor.

She grew up in St. Louis, the youngest child of Mike and Judy Shannon. Her father's ability to beat a life-threatening kidney disease at age 30 while playing for the Cardinals helped teach his children that determination could conquer anything. Her mother was the kind of person who always made those around her feel better -- "St. Judy," people called her.

Their youngest daughter, meanwhile, planned to be an Olympic runner, but an injury in high school cost her a college scholarship, her Olympic dreams and, she admits, her identity. With no idea what she wanted to do, the self-described jock enrolled at Loyola Marymount University and became an English major. She took one psychology course, found it ridiculously easy, and was shocked when she saw other kids taking notes in class. To her, the information was almost intuitive -- so intuitive that psychology courses became her version of an easy A.

Erin Shannon is the daughter of Mike Shannon, a former Cardinals player and the club's longtime radio voice.

Eventually, one of her professors, the granddaughter of a famous psychologist, began touting Shannon as a psychology prodigy, which, despite the A's, stunned her as much as anyone. Shannon ended up switching her major and, per her usual habit of going all-in whenever she decided on something, took so many credits that she was able to graduate in around two years. In masters and graduate programs at Pepperdine, the pattern of ease continued; she tested out of classes containing material she'd never studied before.

Meanwhile, she learned to survive an adventuresome psychology internship in the Los Angeles public school system, which was rife with gang wars. Kids who looked at the young, slender graduate student and thought they had the advantage soon learned otherwise -- even the ones who smuggled guns past the school's security scanners. Raised in the adrenaline-saturated environments of locker rooms and clubhouses, Shannon refused to be intimidated.

She married a St. Louis businessman and, after graduating from Pepperdine, moved back to the city and soon landed a post-doctorate fellowship at Washington University in the psychiatry and genetics departments. She was the school's first-ever dual fellow in those departments, but upon having her first child she resigned to become a stay-at-home mom.

When her family's financial circumstances changed several years later, she found herself having to go to work -- for the first time -- in private practice. At the time, Shannon had no idea what a psychologist earned, or any idea how to set up a business. She gritted her teeth and went about it anyway. She took out a $600 ad in the Ladue News once -- even that was more than she could afford -- and hoped for the best. She still doesn't know how, but people started coming.

She became interested in Eastern medicine after it eased her mother's pain during the last days of her battle with brain cancer. Driven by the memory, and angered that, despite all her medical training, this was the first time she'd been exposed to techniques that may have helped her mother earlier in her illness, Shannon began reading about various forms of energy medicine. Once she started, she kept going, which is how she ended up with 22-plus degrees or certifications combined between her Eastern and Western training.

"You need to stop getting all the degrees," Shannon says her brother finally told her. "We take you seriously. Stop. You know enough."

"If I have an addiction, it's learning, researching, studying," she says. "And I'll always do that. I'll always have to stay up an extra hour and read the newest research article. I'll always have to learn the newest, best, extra-special thing for my patients, because I feel like I need to know and they deserve the next newest thing, and science will always give us something new."

After four years of intense research and training in energy medicine, she took on her first sports client in 2011, an older pitcher who'd been having trouble with his arm. She helped fix the problem, and by the end of the following week, her practice was flooded with athletes. Trying to raise six kids, and soon to be divorced, she'd stumbled on a surprising gap in sports medicine. Big-time agents started sending clients. She even had international patients. She found herself sleeping in her office like a gypsy, trying to keep up with the demand.

She made it work. Shannon now balances a full-time practice and parenting responsibilities, and has found new support along the way. On Sept. 28, 2012, she was on her way to a Rams-Seahawks game when she met Gregg Williams. Two years later, they were married.

Still, she remains driven by the memory of her mother's illness -- had she known about these techniques earlier, she wonders, would things be different? Could she have saved her mother? Haunted by the thought, Shannon found a measure of personal healing through determination: She would let no one else suffer as her mother had.

As an NFL defensive coordinator, Williams is not interested in fluff science -- he's interested in results. And the results he's seen from his wife's work with athletes are impressive. In fact, he admits he's somewhat awestruck by it.

"It's amazing on how she's been able to get some of these guys to bounce back faster from an injury because of some of her methods of energy medicine and holistic medicine that has got guys healthy quicker," he says. "Obviously, whenever a guy sees that, he's all in because it's about availability, it's about production, it's about performance, and they have to be on the field to do that. And she's been able to help that and extend careers and quicken up rehab."

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has seen firsthand what his wife's methods can do to speed his players' recovery times.

He believes her work is a "missing ingredient" in the NFL, although he's had players as far back as the early '90s who've used some of the techniques.

"There are a few teams in the league from a psychological aspect that are doing this, and they are doing it and it's been producing results," he says. "I do know there are players in every different city that's out there that understand (energy medicine) and they have been doing this on their own."

In fact, Shannon -- who is currently writing The Warrior Whisperer, a book due out this Christmas, about her practice -- emphasizes the history of these techniques while discussing people's concerns about any religious implications of her practice. She says the ancient Chinese used these methods, and that they've been practiced across a variety of religions. She tries to keep her approach as scientific as possible, her main focus being results for the athletes who come to her for help.

"I'm about as much science as I can be with it, and I'm about helping people," she says. "I'm about anything and everything that I can use to help people. And if it works, then I use it. And this works."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"She's got a great diagnostic ability to figure out what's wrong with somebody," Buck says. "And, I think, maybe as importantly -- or even more importantly -- how to fix it."
I wonder if Williams keeps her on Speed Dial for the Rams!?:D

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Good stuff
Unfortunately - Western medicine treats the symptom and not the root cause of your problem
For example if you have a runny nose a Western doctor gives you something to stop the snot - but not anything to help build your immune system. Building a healthy immune system is key to good health.
Sometimes muscles switch off, like in this case Buck's vocal chord, and can be switched back on rather easily. What Williams wife studies has been around for ages and ages. It's nothing new. It's just that too many people have been brainwashed practically into thinking that going to the doctor will somehow cure like a pain in your back for example - when all it will do is cause more problems, especially with surgery, buy cutting open your body you let bacteria, fungus, and virus in when it wasn't there before. My dad refused to go to my 'witch doctor' and instead opted for surgery like an idiot - clearly he is in a way worse way years later. My 11 year old son threw out his back and was fixed withing 20 minutes with a few simple adjustments.
Anyway, I am glad to read this article and hope more people can look at their immune system in a different way.

Athos

Legend
My dad refused to go to my 'witch doctor' and instead opted for surgery like an idiot - clearly he is in a way worse way years later. My 11 year old son threw out his back and was fixed withing 20 minutes with a few simple adjustments.

Yep. We overprescribe in the states like crazy. So many drugs because drugs are where the money is at.

That's why, when considering my switch to hopefully transition to the health field, that physical therapy is my interest. More about treating the actual issues at hand past, present, and future, than symptoms of pain.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That's fantastic.

I'm a HUGE proponent of combining Eastern and Western medicine in a smart and coherent fashion as Shannon seems to be doing it.

And, in purely scientifically, we are chemo-electrical beings... meaning we are chemical/electrical beings. We convert food into nutrients and into energy via chemicals...that is ACID and various enzymes. The digestive process not only releases nutrients, toxins, fiber, fat, waste, etc, but it also makes it available for not only the brain to send electrical signals.

Anyone with the slightest knowledge of electricity knows that just because electricity is running through organic matter, that doesn't mean it disobeys things like Ohm's Law or Faraday's Law where current will induce a electromagnetic field.

The simplest way to imagine it is to make a thumbs up.
fonzie_l.jpg

If you follow the direction of the thumb, an electromagnetic field will generate around the thumb rotating in the direction the fingers are pointing. If there were coils wrapping around Fonzie's finger, a current would be induced. That's the principle of induction, charging at a distance or inducing a current via electromagnetic field (aka wireless charging these days).

Well, WE are electrical beings. WE put out these relatively small magnetic fields (which was why the brick sized cell phones could cause brain cancer... for people who used them a lot, they could really disrupt and induce electrical impulses and currents and stimulate or overstimulate cell growth (the very definition of cancer) in the brain.

Anyway, the idea that a doctor is addressing the combination of the psychological, emotional, and the several dimensions of physical (how many doctors pay attention to the fact that we are electrical?) is fantastic. My situation puts me a really in touch with that having a seizure disorder, but I'm thrilled that someone is intelligently putting Eastern and Western together.

Doing it stupidly is worse than nothing at all. I've see Chiropractors try and it's just awful...office smelling like incense and spouting nonsense that is as superstitious as tarot cards...

This woman is onto something.

Just one question?

Why didn't Sam Bradford live in her office??????? Did he not believe the results from the Defensive guys? Did they not talk to him about her? I mean between Carson Palmer coming back SOOO fast and Gurley coming back pretty fast (I think he's probably farther along than the Rams are stating, but they are going super conservative), I'm just...lost...especially after reading that THIS kind of resource was connected to the Rams. It's not even like it was some little person who's known in the league, but only has an office somewhere outside of Reno or in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where it would be inconvenient to get to as far as rehabbing. She's IN TOWN. She's married to the DC.

I dunno. But the good news is that she seems to have our Defense in the right frame of mind and ready to POSITIVELY WRECK the league...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My sister had an autoimmune disease several years back, and the doctors had her on so much prednisone that she blew up like Violet Beauregarde from the Willy Wonka movie. She also got permanent vision problems, had zero energy, migraines, back pain, and it changed her personality to the point where she was like a rabid dog at times. They almost completely fucked her up for good.

All it took to completely heal her was a raw vegan diet and copious amounts of water for 6 months.

Cured.

Fuck you, Big Pharma.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not to get too far off topic here... but I've been giving my wife shit about taking our dog to an energy vet for the last 3 years. She did this because our regular vet was telling us that surgery or worse was our dog's only hope.

Well 3 years later, no surgeries or worse, and our dog is doing about as fine as a 15.5 year old schnauzer can be expected to be. I'm still shocked that this energy vet was able to get the results she has... but I'll never admit to my wife that there's anything real to it. Hahahahaha

jap

Legend
Yes, in Western medicine you have a three-way circus going on between the pharmaceutical companies, the food industry, and physicians. Despite the Hypocratic oath, which is supposed to have physicians place a priority on life & health, physicians routinely collect under-the-table funds from the pharmaceutical industry for pushing their so-called 'miracle' drugs. The food industry pushes processed foods much more than natural foods.

Without going into details, I was misdiagnosed by five doctors! with a condition that lasted for decades until I researched and found a natural cure. My condition would have been extended indefinitely if I continued to depend on Western medicine's 'miracle' nonsense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My sister had an autoimmune disease several years back, and the doctors had her on so much prednisone that she blew up
Known side effect of taking Pred. too long...but still it's prescribed indefinitely to so many...Some MD's are just....maybe the word is overworked...cause theyseem to forget some basic stuff...All about the $$$$...Pharm co.'s come in, lunch spread & side deals and ask them to "push" some clients on a product, what should they do is lost.
I wonder sometimes what knowledge was lost when they burned that library down way back when...A few of you should know what I'm talking about, but I'm sure it was medical in nature...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
My sister had an autoimmune disease several years back, and the doctors had her on so much prednisone that she blew up like Violet Beauregarde from the Willy Wonka movie. She also got permanent vision problems, had zero energy, migraines, back pain, and it changed her personality to the point where she was like a rabid dog at times. They almost completely fucked her up for good.

All it took to completely heal her was a raw vegan diet and copious amounts of water for 6 months.

Cured.

freak you, Big Pharma.

To cure an autoimmune disease or the parma cure? I haven't heard of raw vegan curing an autoimmune disease, so I'm curious.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
often with auto-immune diseases, the immune system attacks itself or the body in weird ways and the steroid acts as an immunosuppressant.

Raw vegan is a way of using food to essentially reset the body's immune system. The goal is to remove all the chemicals and toxins from one's food intake and the only way to do that is raw vegan. Cooking can introduce free radicals and without cooking, meats today aren't safe. Cooking vegetables in almost all cases lowers the vitamin content (you can retain most of the vitamin content with steaming iirc).

It's not perfect. Not everyone can do it. Not everyone can process all that fiber even if they blend instead of eating it all (actually blending using a Vitamix is better because it breaks down the cells better than chewing does, thus making the good stuff more bioavailable). Going raw vegan requires being smart because there are essential proteins that are easily found in meats that aren't so easy to get on a raw vegan diet. At least not inexpensively or that tastes okay. And even on a raw vegan diet, it's still possible to have way too much fat...(the first thing most folks OD on when switching is Avocados).

Still, it's very healthy eating if you have a plan. It's even better if you have really good recipes to keep the plan going.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Do any of the doctors here know a cure for sarcoidosis because the medical world sure as hell doesn't. Prednisone is their only way of keeping it in check.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Do any of the doctors here know a cure for sarcoidosis because the medical world sure as hell doesn't. Prednisone is their only way of keeping it in check.

There really is no cure. It's a rare but unfortunate disease. I'm sorry that you have it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
To cure an autoimmune disease or the parma cure? I haven't heard of raw vegan curing an autoimmune disease, so I'm curious.
It was nondescript. All they could tell her is that it was some sort of autoimmune disease, and I even took her to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville as a last resort. She had bad joint pain and small lesions(sp?) on her body that wouldn't bleed or anything as her primary symptoms. She was originally diagnosed with a flesh-eating bacteria and was quarantined at the hospital because of it until they ruled THAT out. To this day, nobody knows what the problem really was, even though she was given about 10 different diagnoses by over a dozen doctors. She was really about to give up hope when it was suggested to her by a natural healer that she try to get her immune system back to its normal state, and that's when she went on a RADICAL diet. Because, let's face it, nothing else was working. And when I say radical, I mean radical. I don't think I could have done it myself, because some of the things she was eating were about as natural as natural can get. And prior to that, she never ate healthy, ever. Not once.

My *theory* is that she had taken WAY too much Excedrin over the years (about 25 years, to be exact) to deal with chronic migraines (not to mention the copious amounts of pain pills her 'pain management' doctor had her on), and all those toxins had really wrecked her immune system. That, and the way she ate having been so depressed all the time over the headaches - it was a vicious circle. Glad to say that she actually stuck with the diet, and it's going on almost ten years now that she doesn't have any immune system problems. She had the migraines eliminated by getting jaw surgery to correct TMJ, which was what was causing them in the first place, so now she needs no pain management either. She still eats ridiculously healthy, and she even looks like a different person. She's gone from being nearly dead to twice as healthy as me.

I'm not suggesting a diet change can cure every autoimmune disease, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Truth is, again, nobody knows what the problem was. It was just described as autoimmune because her body was attacking itself. But I can tell you with absolute certainty that no medicine worked. Eating the way she did (is) was the only thing that let her step down off the prednisone (by herself) without having severe reactions in the form of joint pain and inflamed thyroid glands.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There really is no cure. It's a rare but unfortunate disease. I'm sorry that you have it

no need to be sorry, i'm a big boy and there are many far worse diseases out there.

having said that i wouldn't wish this disease on my worst enemy. i treated it as a bit of a joke in the beginning. was told it would burn itself out within 3 years. so i would lose my breath while exerting myself and have coughing fits for awhile, no big deal. but it didn't get better, it kept getting worse. i was one of the unfortunate 5% that have to suffer with this thing forever. it's been going on for 14 years now. and then a chest infection called pseudomonus got it's claws into me, a disease that attacks people that have slowed down their immune system long term.

at one stage i got down to 34% breathing capacity. that's near lung transplant stage. i couldn't take a few steps without coughing my lungs out. i actually asked my specialist if i could get a transplant, that's how bad i felt. so he changed things up a bit and somehow almost overnight i suddenly felt better. within a week i was back to 60%. so now i hover around 50%. hopefully one day it will burn itself out.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Very interesting read. A friend of a friend just started her own holistic practice and asked if she could give me an "energy massage" (no jokes here!). It did not involve anything resembling deep tissue and was more focused on finding good and bad "energy" in the body. I was skeptical, but she impressed me with what she told me afterwards and how I felt. Though she barely applied any pressure, I was exhausted, yet refreshed afterwards. I will be scheduling her to do one for my wife in the near future, and may get another one myself.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good article.
Melding western and eastern is happening more, slowly, but it is happening.
I have come to trust a physical therapist/trainer I know (worked with Incognito among others) more than doctors. My son injured his back lifting for baseball last year. The doctor prescribed pain pills (shocking) and was ordering more pictures and talking about surgery. The PT had him diagnosed in 20 minutes and feeling back to normal in several weeks.
I also have come to believe in PEMT....pulsed electromagnetic therapy. It is pretty commonly used in vet practices but hard to find for people. My son injured his elbow prior to his senior year of high school baseball. He could not throw more than 4 or 5 times without pain, he lost velocity and some range of motion due to his elbow flaring up. The doctor prescribed rest, anti inflammatories and icing the elbow several times a day. I'm sorry but resting and applying ice is pretty lame. It looked as if he was going to miss his senior season. A teammates mother (a chiropractor) had a PEMT machine. After one 15 min treatment his elbow felt better and he was able to comfortably play catch. After a second 10 minute treatment he was able to pitch pain free and played his senior year.
The process of reducing the irritation and inflammation in the joint went from weeks and weeks to days.