Greg Zuerlein returns to Rams practice after back surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Greg Zuerlein returns to Rams practice after back surgery
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/29/greg-zuerlein-returns-to-rams-practice-after-back-surgery/

rams_cowboys_football_24617933.jpg

Only five months removed from back surgery, Greg Zuerlein’s progress during the Rams’ offseason program indicates that the Pro Bowl kicker will be ready to fully return for the start of the regular season. (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth)
By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: May 29, 2018 at 4:18 pm | UPDATED: May 29, 2018 at 4:25 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — Between the bustle of two practice fields, with Rams running about, one of the smallest guys on the grass made some of the most significant moves Tuesday.

Greg Zuerlein teed up a ball and booted it, kickoff-style. It’s something he’s done thousands of times in a six-year NFL career, but Zuerlein is only five months removed from back surgery. His progress during the Rams’ offseason program indicates that he will be ready to fully return for the start of the regular season.

“I don’t think there’s any reason why I wouldn’t be if I stay healthy,” Zuerlein said after a team practice at Cal Lutheran. “And I feel good. Everything should be fine.”

On many NFL teams, the summer status of a kicker wouldn’t be news, but Zuerlein has been a major part of the Rams’ offense in the past two seasons, to the point where quarterback Jared Goff said he felt at ease when the team crossed midfield, with the knowledge that they would at least get three points.

After a mid-career slump, Zuerlein rebounded in 2016 and was even better last season, when he made 38 of 40 field-goal attempts and was selected to the NFC’s Pro Bowl team.

Zuerlein didn’t make it to the game, though, because he underwent back surgery in December. More surprising was the revelation that Zuerlein had been kicking through back problems all season and still performed at a near-perfect level.

“It wasn’t comfortable,” Zuerlein said, “but it’s just one of those things. Everyone is dinged up or has something that is not 100 percent. I just went through the season and tried not to let it bother me until I got to the point where I couldn’t.”

That moment came before the Rams’ Dec. 17 game at Seattle when the Rams weren’t even sure if Zuerlein would be able to kick. He made two field-goal attempts and four of his five extra-point attempts, then needed a ride home from special teams coach John Fassel because he couldn’t drive.

The Rams signed free-agent kicker Sam Ficken to replace Zuerlein, and Ficken remains on the Rams’ roster because they didn’t know exactly how Zuerlein’s recovery would go.

It seems likely that Zuerlein will be held out of live drills during the final two weeks of the Rams’ offseason program, and while he stopped short of saying it directly, Zuerlein seemed to indicate that he could do more right now if the Rams desired it.

“It’s just following the program that the trainers set out for us,” Zuerlein said. “So I’ve just got to follow it. … Everything has been going well. No complaints. Feel good. Just happy to be out here.”

INJURY REPORT

McVay confirmed that linebacker Morgan Fox suffered a torn ACL during a practice last week that was closed to media.

Several other players also sat out Tuesday’s practice. McVay said receiver Brandin Cooks “had a little bit of soreness in his groin. Nothing to be concerned about.”

Cornerback Aqib Talib missed the practice, which was optional, and McVay said he had no update on star defensive lineman Aaron Donald, who has sat out the entirety of the offseason program while he seeks a new contract.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Need him at 100% , changes how mcvay can call the game

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Getting Zuerlein back would be an enormous boost to the team. No offense to Ficken, but kickoffs and field goals weren't the same when he did it instead of Greg the Leg.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah... we were spoiled by GZ last season. Here’s hoping he doesn’t skip a beat on his way back.

All of us here watch a lot of football. When I compare GZ and Hekker watching other games... WE HAVE THE BEST and it doesn’t even feel close.

Ram65

Legend
Finally some real news on GZ. I saw the other video of him kicking off earlier but, this gives a nice positive spin on his health that wasn't coming from Mr Positive McVay. Plenty of time for GZ to work his way back to GOAT shape. He was extremely effective when he changed to end over end fade for FG. Hope the Rams finish more drives and need to rely on GZ less but, glad he will be there when they don't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When he's on point, there's no better kicker in the league. And with the new kickoff rule, I don't see anyone ever taking one out, because his directive will be to put the ball behind the endzone, into the 7th row. I also read that Harbaugh was lobbying to give teams a point if the kicker can put one through the uprights on kickoffs. Hell, that's good for an additional 5 points per game right there. Not that the league would institute that rule, but it would be pretty damn cool.

Also, I deleted every single post in this thread (and edited the OP) that had to do with politics. Seriously, if y'all don't fucking grasp the situation here regarding political debate after this many years, then you're either critically obtuse, or you just don't care about the culture we've developed. Either way, that's not a good sign. Tighten up, yeah? We're not asking much here, so get right or get left (no pun intended).

GrassyAss.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
With the exception of that thing that Hekker did at the end, that looks promising.
Cam Newton mentioned that is how his grandmother told him to sneeze.
Into his elbow.

So we can thank Cam Newton for not spreading germs and teaching millions of kids how not to spread germs.

jap

Legend
When he's on point, there's no better kicker in the league. And with the new kickoff rule, I don't see anyone ever taking one out, because his directive will be to put the ball behind the endzone, into the 7th row. I also read that Harbaugh was lobbying to give teams a point if the kicker can put one through the uprights on kickoffs. Hell, that's good for an additional 5 points per game right there. Not that the league would institute that rule, but it would be pretty damn cool.

I remember seeing the Packer's kicker, Chester Marcol blast a kickoff from his 35-yard line through the uprights decades ago. Would had been a 65-yard FG if it was a legitimate FG attempt.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Cam Newton mentioned that is how his grandmother told him to sneeze.
Into his elbow.

So we can thank Cam Newton for not spreading germs and teaching millions of kids how not to spread germs.
Yeah, the vampire cough, but it didn't require the second arm stuck out. And it's not a celebration or a dance. It's a sneezing/coughing technique.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fisher almost ruined young Greg's career making him take half his fg attempts over 55 yards. His offense was so shit it could barely make it to the 40 yard line of the opposition. That put so much pressure on gz to make these long kicks all the time, which he couldn't as he missed half of them. And when kickers begin missing they get in a funk which affects them on shorter ones as well.

To his credit he righted the ship in 2016 then last year he was a machine. Best in the league.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Good to see Greg the Leg again! There are no guarantees with the back. I’m sure our trainers are working him out right to strengthen those muscles.

I just want to know his stance on the local school bond.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, the vampire cough, but it didn't require the second arm stuck out. And it's not a celebration or a dance. It's a sneezing/coughing technique.
Yeah. I think it looks pretty dumb personally, (except when Johnny Hekker does it, of course)