Greg Robinson- Does he need to play for the Rams to be successful?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
As of right now, Robinson is firmly entrenched at the left guard position. Long appears to be on his way to being close to 100% come week 1, and the right side of the line is more or less settled. Wells, if (big if) healthy, is the best center on the team by a considerable margin.

My question is about Robinson, Saffold, and Davin Joseph. It is my theory that at some point in the next few weeks, Joseph, as he becomes more comfortable with the terminology and his role, will start to show up more on game film as well as practice tape. Joseph is a proven commodity: a pro bowl caliber guard who suffered a terrible injury and is starting to bounce back. Not only that, but Joseph adds an element of nasty, mean spirited play that Fisher and Boudreau covet from their interior lineman.

So, if Joseph can return to form, or close to it, can the Rams, a team stricken with dismal ticket sales and one of the lowest profiles an NFL franchise enjoys in its host city, afford to allow their #2 overall pick to learn on the job hoping that he finds his form, or will Joseph be a serious consideration for a starting job? And, in the event Robinson is bumped on the depth chart, can the regime afford the scrutiny of drafting a "project" player at #2 when the team had, and still has, glaring holes at serious positions at the top of the draft?

bskrilla

Starter
Robinson needs to play and WILL be playing. Can't really see anyway he's not on the field unless he gets hurt, or is so completely useless that he's hurting the team. I just don't see it happening.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't think too many people are paying to watch Robinson, so ultimately if Joseph outplayed him and won the job I don't think it would effect ticket sales. There probably would be an uproar on message boards though, calling him a bust or calling for Fisher and Sneads heads.

I think the Rams will grow with Robinson, he will be plenty protected and helped by Long and Wells if they stay healthy and the long term goal is to make Robinson a pro bowl caliber player. Joseph would really have to be leaps and bounds ahead of Robinson to start over him or Robinson will have to really play bad. Based on the early returns and 1 preseason game, I cant imagine there is any consideration putting Joseph ahead of Robinson.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I see what you are saying. But from a 'future" perspective, Joseph works out better for us as a reserve. But he's an important piece to the puzzle if......and I pray Heaven forbid....if...we have any injuries to the line.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I don't think there's any way that Robinson isn't on the field. It's a good problem to have when there are offensive linemen capable of starting on the bench. Lord knows this team could use it for a change.

But to your second point, I believe Fisher and Snead could survive the heat if Robinson were on the bench to start the year, but I know it's something all parties involved would rather avoid. This team is finally starting to get some positive press and that would be a distraction they'd rather avoid.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Sure, the Rams can win without Robinson. They are more likely to win with him (or so the Rams brass believes) which is why he's taken literally every first team snap since the day he got here.

You don't like the pick? You wanna scrutinize? It's a free country chock full o' folks who love to second guess others, so you'll have plenty of company. Scrute away! I only ask that you wait a few weeks into the regular season before declaring him a bust.

Irish

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure, the Rams can win without Robinson. They are more likely to win with him (or so the Rams brass believes) which is why he's taken literally every first team snap since the day he got here.

You don't like the pick? You wanna scrutinize? It's a free country chock full o' folks who love to second guess others, so you'll have plenty of company. Scrute away! I only ask that you wait a few weeks into the regular season before declaring him a bust.

I was a Watkins guy, but I am a BIG fan of Robinson. I don't judge his selection at all.

All I care about is the Rams staying in St. Louis, and the best way to do that is win. My question is more based around what makes the Rams win more games now: is it a converted left tackle in college with little pass blocking experience playing out of position, or a bowl bowl caliber guard coming off of a massive injury?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Robinson is going to start. Regardless. Joseph is a solid player as first off the bench in case of injury. Joseph himself has an injury, so why take out the young guy? Joseph gets hurt, then you plug Robinson in and the line needs to gel all over again. Just put in the beast with potential from the get go(like they have) and use Joseph if need be. But the guy was bad last year. Pro bowl in the past is nice, but he's depth now until proven otherwise.

cracengl

Rookie
I'm sure Davin Joseph will get plenty of time in place of Saffold. I know Saffold has had some freak injuries, but he's had them nonetheless.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I was a Watkins guy, but I am a BIG fan of Robinson. I don't judge his selection at all.

All I care about is the Rams staying in St. Louis, and the best way to do that is win. My question is more based around what makes the Rams win more games now: is it a converted left tackle in college with little pass blocking experience playing out of position, or a bowl bowl caliber guard coming off of a massive injury?

There seems to be a smidge of bias in how the question was phrased:

"is it a converted left tackle in college with little pass blocking experience playing out of position, or a bowl bowl caliber guard coming off of a massive injury?"

I'm not sure you really captured all the pros and cons of each player in how you laid out the options.

Irish

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There seems to be a smidge of bias in how the question was phrased:

"is it a converted left tackle in college with little pass blocking experience playing out of position, or a bowl bowl caliber guard coming off of a massive injury?"

I'm not sure you really captured all the pros and cons of each player in how you laid out the options.

Yeah I realized a couple minutes after posting that it was a little biased :D

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm sure Davin Joseph will get plenty of time in place of Saffold. I know Saffold has had some freak injuries, but he's had them nonetheless.

I think most, if not all, of Saffold's injuries happen when he's at tackle. We've yet to see him injuried while playing guard. But with his history, you never know.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think Joseph will see plenty of playing time if Saffold gets banged up from time to time.

nanotech

Rookie
I think most, if not all, of Saffold's injuries happen when he's at tackle. We've yet to see him injuried while playing guard. But with his history, you never know.
I thought he got hurt working with weights at least once.

jjab360

Legend
Joesph was pretty terrible against NO, I don't have much faith in a comeback from him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even IF Joseph were better at the beginning of the season (and it's not clear that's the case) he turns 31 during the season. Meanwhile the beast is just going to get stronger and more knowledgeable. Much better for the Rams to get Robinson 16 starts, so he will be ready by next season to make the move to tackle if they feel it's time. Why delay Robinson's development for what would probably be marginal improvement at best over the course of the full season? That'd be horrible planning on the Rams' part.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Stop with the Joseph was a Pro Bowler talk. How long ago was that?

Robinson will, and should, be starting from day one.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just watched all of the snaps Greg Robinson took in the New Orleans game..He did great, except for one miscommunication where Broderick Bunkley came in unopposed, for a Shaun Hill sack. He had great position at LT and did his job well except for the one play.

YES, Greg Robinson should start..and maybe even step in for Jake Long this year if gets injured again. This guy is a monster, and am really surprised about this thread....

Dick84

I have read nothing that would make me think that Joseph would be the superior player at any point this season.
I don't mind hypotheticals... but I think this one is kind of a waste. Robinson can play... he'll have bad moments.. but he'll have amazing moments. Part of the process.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't get the "Robinson not playing" scenario. He's an absolute force in the running game. I doubt he's outplaying Robinson.