Greg Cosell's draft review: Three teams whose drafts I really liked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ree-teams-whose-drafts-i-liked-195814345.html

St. Louis Rams
I liked the Rams draft more because they have a clear plan and stuck to it in the draft.
The Rams drafted with a specific purpose in mind. They want to be a power-running football team and play great defense behind that. Their entire draft followed that plan.
They drafted running back Todd Gurley (I thought he was a top-three prospect in the draft) and match him with Tre Mason, who I thought was the best back in last year's class. So they're set there. The selection of Gurley was clearly a pick where their plan and their draft board matched up. Their pick of quarterback Sean Mannion in the third round fits their plan; I think Mannion can only play in a system where the run game is the foundation relying heavily on play action. Then four of their first seven picks were offensive linemen who were all similar.
Rob Haverstein of Wisconsin might not have been a second-round pick on every team's board, but he fits what the Rams want to do. He is a a road-grading right tackle in the run game. If that’s the style you’re going to play, then he’s your guy.
Jamon Brown, at 323 pounds, was a tackle at Louisville but he'll play guard in the NFL. Iowa tackle Andrew Donnal, a 313-pound fourth-round pick, can play guard too. In the sixth round the Rams took Fresno State guard Cody Wichmann, who is not an athlete but a 315-pound mauler. He fits what they want to do.
The Rams told you in their draft how they want to play football. That's why I don't get into the criticisms like, "There were better players on the board!" Not to the Rams there weren't; their picks fit the exact style they want to play.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So... the only question now is... is "the way they want to play" going to work?

I know the answer here.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What a refreshing article compared to the pd doom and gloomers. This guy actually looked at the draft as a whole instead of each pick in a vacuum.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Greg Cosell's a smart dude. Always respect his opinion. Pretty clear what Fish wants to do and hopefully we got the guys to do it. Pound it, pound it, pound it with Gurley and Mason, then hit 'em with some Britt, Quick, Austin, Bailey....

And don't forget about Kendricks, Harkey and Cook...

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The Rams told you in their draft how they want to play football. That's why I don't get into the criticisms like,"There were better players on the board!" Not to the Rams thereweren't; their picks fit the exact stylethey want to play."

THANK YOU

beej

Rookie
As more and more teams build their defenses to stop the pass in a passing league, it makes sense to become a "run first" offense. (Especially if you don't have an elite qb)

Call that old school if you want, or call it progressive genius. Alabama has proved it wins championships in pass happy college football.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I think Foles has proven he can pass pretty darn well.

I'm not sure he's proven anything, he's proven he can be a good passer (2013) or really quite awful (2014) I'm just praying we get the 2013 version, because if we get the 2014 version we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

Alan

Legend
beej with a twist:
As more and more teams build their defenses to stop the pass in a passing league, it makes sense to become a "run first" offense. (Especially if you don't have an elite qb)
While I wouldn't follow your suggestion beej, I like your logic and I can see how it might be a decent alternative for some teams. Especially if, as you say, you don't have that franchise QB. (y)

nighttrain

Legend
A runner like Gurley opens up both short and long passes. I believe he's such a player
train