Greg Cosell on PS week 1 rookie QB play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Said Bortles was outstanding, the best of the bunch, dropped well, planted threw from the pocket with timing...only negative was "his delivery appeared a tad slow.."

Logan Thomas; "There aren't 10 guys in the NFL who can "throw it" like this guy but nobody will talk about him because they say he should switch to TE but he's really taken to NFL coaching, his drops are much improved, no wasted steps.."

He killed Manzeil. "He's the same guy he was in college....doesn't read progressions though at A&M he wasn't taught that...he took 4 vicious hits in week 1 and played the entire game "noticing the defenses color" so he ran when he should not have...on his 16 yard run he had a wide open crosser who, if he had thrown the ball, would still be running....he's under 6' so I'm not sure he CAN see further down field.."

Bridgewater; "Wasn't good. Played scared, the game was too fast for him...we all know he doesn't have the arm talent to drive the ball, especially from a muddy pocket and he showed that too....took a big hit and fumbled when he didn't have too...he showed what most of us thought he was at QB...unathletic with not a good NFL arm..."

Every time I saw Logan Thomas in college he sucked, but he had a good game going against backups so suddenly everyone who thinks he can't make a good QB in the NFL is wrong. Why I hate preseason.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Every time I saw Logan Thomas in college he sucked, but he had a good game going against backups so suddenly everyone who thinks he can't make a good QB in the NFL is wrong. Why I hate preseason.

Quote from Arians after the game:
“You never know until (the lights) go on,” Arians said. “This is the beauty of the preseason. People that want to get rid of preseason games don’t have young quarterbacks. If they don’t get preseason games, they have no chance.”

120th pick in the draft by a coach known as a QB developer -- Kid has preferred size, super arm strength, mobility, speed and SEEMS to be responding to coaching. I think he has a chance to be a good starter in a year or two.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Said Bortles was outstanding, the best of the bunch, dropped well, planted threw from the pocket with timing...only negative was "his delivery appeared a tad slow.."

Logan Thomas; "There aren't 10 guys in the NFL who can "throw it" like this guy but nobody will talk about him because they say he should switch to TE but he's really taken to NFL coaching, his drops are much improved, no wasted steps.."

He killed Manzeil. "He's the same guy he was in college....doesn't read progressions though at A&M he wasn't taught that...he took 4 vicious hits in week 1 and played the entire game "noticing the defenses color" so he ran when he should not have...on his 16 yard run he had a wide open crosser who, if he had thrown the ball, would still be running....he's under 6' so I'm not sure he CAN see further down field.."

Bridgewater; "Wasn't good. Played scared, the game was too fast for him...we all know he doesn't have the arm talent to drive the ball, especially from a muddy pocket and he showed that too....took a big hit and fumbled when he didn't have too...he showed what most of us thought he was at QB...unathletic with not a good NFL arm..."

No surprises here.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Game 1: Fresh Meat! 25 TJ Days!!

images

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
RE: Manziel.....

I hate to say this but I have to agree with Cosell.
I watched the Browns game when JF was playing and I was STUNNED at how bad JF was.
Now, we have to temper that with the fact that JF is a rookie, this was just the first pre-season game and so on.

But WOW.....dude rarely even looked to pass, when he did, he looked at his first option and ran.....a couple of times even when his first option was wide open. I recall the play Cosell referred to above, the receiver crossing in front of him wide open, where JF ran (for about a half yard) instead of throwing to a wide open receiver for about 12 yards or so. Dude just wants to play sand lot - run from the QB position football. That could get him killed. I also think he needs to learn when a receiver is open in the NFL vs when they are open in College. BIG difference.

The good.....

I was surprised at how good JF's arm was, especially for his size. Dude has a good/strong arm.
It's pretty obvious he has had next to NO instruction and training on being a traditional QB or even a 'mobile' QB.
So perhaps the Browns can be successful with that project. But make no mistake at all......IMHO JF is a MAJOR project at BEST. Myself, I don't believe in drafting a major project in the first round.

Good Luck Browns.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Just seen this on youtube Re: Bridgewater wk 1 ps.

Wont be up for very long so if anyone hasn't seen it have a look!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just seen this on youtube Re: Bridgewater wk 1 ps.

Wont be up for very long so if anyone hasn't seen it have a look!

Didn't look horrible to me. It's clear they weren't asking him to do too much anyway.

Psycho_X

Legend
Didn't look horrible to me. It's clear they weren't asking him to do too much anyway.

Yeah not bad for a rookie's first game. Had people in his face most of the time and never forced anything or freak out. Had good feet moving out of the pocket when needed. Didn't really get any looks past 10 yards though.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
No mention of Gilbert? How does the best QB coming out of the draft get no coverage? Makes no sense.