Gordon's Tipsheet: NFL's focus on LA intensifies + Peter King on Rams D

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tipsheet: NFL's focus on LA intensifies
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_c6315516-55a1-53c9-9655-50d5f1020b5b.html

The Oakland Raiders came down the California coast to work with the Dallas Cowboys for a couple of days in Oxnard.

That allowed Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Raiders owner Mark Davis to get together and stir the Raiders-back-to-LA pot.

Jones is a noisy proponent of returning the NFL to Los Angeles. He has been prodding his fellow owners on this issue for years.

Davis is looking to escape his dreadful stadium scenario in Oakland. He has already flirted with San Antonio, but he is far more interested in Southern California.

Meanwhile, commissioner Roger Goodell wants the NFL to lord over the market itself, positioning the league to partner up on any LA stadium project and determine which team or teams go there.

Will it be an existing team? What about an expansion team? Could it be one of both?

The Rams will go to a year-to-year lease in St. Louis after this season. Owner Stan Kroenke has been directly involved in the NFL's LA evaluation and he has secured a parcel of land upon which he could possibly build.

Meanwhile, the Chargers can get out of their lease in San Diego and make the easy drive up the highway.

Here is how CBSSports.com columnist Jason La Canfora sizes up the scenario:

Davis has no long-term viable options in the Bay Area, short of perhaps sharing Levi's Stadium with the 49ers, which he remains diametrically opposed to. He would love to move to Los Angeles and has intensified his desire to do so in recent months, spending oodles of time in the area, sources have said. The NFL, however, would prefer to give another ownership group the rights to Los Angeles -- make no mistake, the road to LA goes through the league office in New York -- as the Davis family already pulled out of Southern California once, and Davis doesn't have the real estate, marketing and overall business expertise the league would demand for the coveted market.

Of course, having Jones, maybe the most influential owner in the league, work with him to build a consortium of business giants and Hollywood elites might make that option more viable . . .

Jones is among the owners who continue to speak regularly about the importance of getting a team to LA -- imagine spinning one of the league's bottom three revenue generators into a top-five earner for the shared revenue pie? -- and don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Expect the whole LA thing to finally become a front-burner issue after this season when Kroenke can muscle up.

Here is what some of our favorite sports pundits have been writing:

Peter King, SI.com: "If this four-man pass rush declines, the Rams defense is dead. Their talented but callow secondary can’t be expected to shoulder a heavier load in coverage. Playmaking corners like Janoris Jenkins and, to a lesser extent, Trumaine Johnson, count on being able to plant and drive on erroneous quick passes. Erroneous quick passes stem from pressure on the quarterback. Last season, Robert Quinn was far and away the most dominant edge player in the NFL. With offenses double-teaming and sliding protections towards Quinn, this defensive front’s other first-rounders—end Chris Long, tackle Michael Brockers and rookie tackle Aaron Donald—will draw favorable one-on-one situations. If they cannot take advantage, this defense will become reactionary and incapable of carrying the offense."

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the Rams could have trouble if their strongest unit doesn't play well? Is that the gist of Peter King's comments? I'm sure they are the only team in the league that could be said about.

Peter King, SI.com: "If this four-man pass rush declines, the Rams defense is dead. Their talented but callow secondary can’t be expected to shoulder a heavier load in coverage. Playmaking corners like Janoris Jenkins and, to a lesser extent, Trumaine Johnson, count on being able to plant and drive on erroneous quick passes. Erroneous quick passes stem from pressure on the quarterback. Last season, Robert Quinn was far and away the most dominant edge player in the NFL. With offenses double-teaming and sliding protections towards Quinn, this defensive front’s other first-rounders—end Chris Long, tackle Michael Brockers and rookie tackle Aaron Donald—will draw favorable one-on-one situations. If they cannot take advantage, this defense will become reactionary and incapable of carrying the offense."

Erm and? I'm not sure what point he's trying to make, if Seattle's DBs randomly turn to crap over night for no reason their D will struggle. If Peyton Manning suddenly turns to crap over night Denver will struggle (is Osweiler still the back up there?).

bluecoconuts

Legend
NFL wants another team rather than the Raiders to go to LA because LA doesn't want the Raiders... Thankfully.

I wouldn't mind the Chargers though. Although I've heard they want to do a stadium split like NY, one AFC team and one NFC team. Might need to do some realignment if they don't add an expansion team.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
NFL wants another team rather than the Raiders to go to LA because LA doesn't want the Raiders... Thankfully.

I wouldn't mind the Chargers though. Although I've heard they want to do a stadium split like NY, one AFC team and one NFC team. Might need to do some realignment if they don't add an expansion team.

Yeah, that's been my impression as well. Too bad both teams prominently mentioned (other than the Rams) are from the AFC.:cautious:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Flip the Chargers to the NFC, and the Seahawks back to the AFC where they came from. Problem easily solved. Now the Chargers and Raiders can play in one building and be where they both want to be.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Flip the Chargers to the NFC, and the Seahawks back to the AFC where they came from. Problem easily solved. Now the Chargers and Raiders can play in one building and be where they both want to be.
Just saying, that's very unlikely to happen as Chargers & Raiders are both original AFL teams and have always been in the same division as Denver & KC. Great pains have been taken thru the years to keep those 4 together in the same division, much less the same conference.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Just saying, that's very unlikely to happen as Chargers & Raiders are both original AFL teams and have always been in the same division as Denver & KC. Great pains have been taken thru the years to keep those 4 together in the same division, much less the same conference.

That's my point. If you want to play in LA that bad, it's easily done, and without destroying someone else's market. Both can move, and stay fairly local. Built in market for both teams. Two teams, pitching in on one stadium. Everyone wins, with the exception of the people who only watch those teams when they play DEN or KC. Everything changes. We used to have a Cardinals team who played in the NFC East.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
That's my point. If you want to play in LA that bad, it's easily done, and without destroying someone else's market. Both can move, and stay fairly local. Built in market for both teams. Two teams, pitching in on one stadium. Everyone wins, with the exception of the people who only watch those teams when they play DEN or KC. Everything changes. We used to have a Cardinals team who played in the NFC East.
As a longtime season ticket hold of the Chiefs and someone who has followed the AFL since the early days, and is familar with the thinkings of the Hunt family, I can tell you with about a 99.9% degree of certainty this scenario's not going to happen. Of course anything is possible, that's why not 100%, but IMO, this scenario is the longest of longshots.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
So the Rams could have trouble if their strongest unit doesn't play well? Is that the gist of Peter King's comments? I'm sure they are the only team in the league that could be said about.

I really like Peter King's work but this was pretty silly.

It's like saying, if Chip Kelly's high speed offense doesn't work, the Eagles will struggle.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
QUOTE="woofwoofmo, post: 366295, member: 1160"]As a longtime season ticket hold of the Chiefs and someone who has followed the AFL since the early days, and is familar with the thinkings of the Hunt family, I can tell you with about a 99.9% degree of certainty this scenario's not going to happen. Of course anything is possible, that's why not 100%, but IMO, this scenario is the longest of longshots.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that it will ever happen, I'm saying it's that easy to do.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Erm and? I'm not sure what point he's trying to make, if Seattle's DBs randomly turn to crap over night for no reason their D will struggle. If Peyton Manning suddenly turns to crap over night Denver will struggle (is Osweiler still the back up there?).
You have to remember that Tim Tebow took this team to the playoffs.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
bluecoconuts I wish this were true but being an LA boy like myself I am sure you know that a Raider move to LA would garner much more support than any other existing franchise. With the proximity of the Chargers they would probably be second and the Rams maybe third of the possible movers. their is a large Raider contingent still here in LA.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You have to remember that Tim Tebow took this team to the playoffs.
Brock Osweiler can play...5 star athlete, recruited to play B-Ball at Gonzaga...Dude ate up the Pac-12....He's not that dump truck that the Patriots have behind Brady. I bet he'd do fine for the Broncos....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
bluecoconuts I wish this were true but being an LA boy like myself I am sure you know that a Raider move to LA would garner much more support than any other existing franchise. With the proximity of the Chargers they would probably be second and the Rams maybe third of the possible movers. their is a large Raider contingent still here in LA.
grrrrr!!!! Al Davis made my Rams move....20 years is still not long enough.....I used to kinda like the Raiders..Now, I just laugh at their misery...Hell, my friends that are Raiders fans laughed at me....Now I laugh right back...Misery does enjoy company.....I would never support any team in LA besides the Rams or an expansion team....Rattlers or Cougars or Gangsters or Skyscrapers....too silly? How bout Actors? Until they start digging a hole, or demolishing the old stadiums, it aint gonna happen.

Brock Osweiler can play...5 star athlete, recruited to play B-Ball at Gonzaga...Dude ate up the Pac-12....He's not that dump truck that the Patriots have behind Brady. I bet he'd do fine for the Broncos....

When did Jimmy Garoppolo become a dump truck? I'm sure I read a comment yesterday that he's looked very good in preseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When did Jimmy Garoppolo become a dump truck? I'm sure I read a comment yesterday that he's looked very good in preseason.
oh no, not Jimmy...Ryan Mallett....Jimmy looked very good. He threw some beautiful deep balls....up both sidelines too....Mallett is the turd....they were trying to get some draft picks for him, not after last week.