Gordon: Let’s hope Rams are still looking to bolster O-Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: Let’s hope Rams are still looking to bolster offensive line
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_69ad5760-2906-523c-87d6-b4cc691d90ab.html

After drafting running back Todd Gurley 10th overall in the NFL draft Thursday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher dismissed concerns about the state of his offensive line.

“We’ve got a good group up front,” Fisher insisted. “We’ll be OK.”

That, of course, was utter nonsense. The Rams did not have a good group up front and Fisher knew it.

This is why the Rams kept adding offensive linemen over the weekend, hoping to find strength in numbers with draft picks Robert Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann, plus undrafted free agent Darrell Williams.

After getting largely disappointing results from some pricey free agent purchases for the line — Jake Long, Scott Wells and Harvey Dahl — the Rams chose to undergo a youth movement this time around.

Rather than overpay some so-so veterans, the Rams opted to build through the draft, past and present. That was a smart move given the lack of offensive line depth in this year’s free agent marketplace.

But plenty of work remains. By no means is the problem solved.

The Rams must coach up their army of young blockers during the months ahead to build the leverage Fisher’s running scheme requires. Adding another value-priced veteran along the trail would be a good idea too.

As cornerstone linemen go, Rodger Saffold isn’t the sturdiest player to build upon. He battled shoulder trouble again last season while managing to start all 16 games.

Can he do that again?

Second overall 2014 draft pick Greg Robinson remains a work in progress at the critical left tackle position. At times he graded roads in the ground game while starting 12 games, but predictably he struggled in pass blocking while transitioning from a run-happy college program.

At times he served as a turnstile for speed rushers. He was a wide turnstile, but easily bypassed nonetheless.

Center Tim Barnes is one of the graybeards of the group. He has played 45 games for the Rams but only four of them were as a starter. He has been in Fisher’s program from the start, so at least he has done tons of preparatory work.

Former Alabama center Barrett Jones was essentially a medical redshirt as a rookie while recovering from his collegiate injuries. Lingering back problems sidelined him last summer and further hindered his development.

He, too, will need lots of work before he is ready to start at center or guard.

Of the current draft class, Havenstein has the best chance to step in right away.

“With big Rob, he is ready to play,” general manager Les Snead said. “He’s a right tackle, started a ton of games – never missed any. They run the ball well up there. Went to the Senior Bowl. All of that translated to the Senior Bowl. He’s just a guy that knows his strengths and weaknesses and how to use them.”

The hard part, of course, is learning how to block NFL-caliber pass rushers. Like Robinson, Havenstein is transitioning from a run-based collegiate offense.

“He knows what can beat him and what can’t,” Snead said. “I think those guys over time learn to use all that knowledge to know his weaknesses, not get himself into a place where those weaknesses are going to be exposed. The smartness probably comes in handy there.”

That is an honest assessment but not tremendously reassuring.

The Rams hope Brown can push for regular duty at one of the guard spots. The former Louisville standout boosted his stock at the scouting combine.

“A lot of his numbers in all of the drills kind of jumped into what really good starters in our league do at the combine,” Snead said. “There’s an element of upside there with the kid. I think those are the two things that we liked about him.”

Offensive line coach Paul Boudreau has earned a sterling teaching reputation in the game, but Fisher and Snead have given him heavy instructional load. Graduating a finished product in time for the real games will be difficult.

Donnal, for one, sounds like a willing student.

“I view myself as a blue collar grinder,” he said. “I’m a guy that’s going to come out and work my (backside) off every day to be the best that I can possibly be. I thoroughly enjoy just playing football, being an offensive lineman and moving the guy from point A to point B against his will. Protecting the quarterback and mauling inside, there’s nothing better.”

Since the end of the season, the Rams have subtracted faded veterans Wells, Long and Davin Joseph. Thus far the only veteran to join the mix is tackle Garrett Reynolds, who played 42 games (with 23 starts) over five seasons with the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions.

He profiles as a depth player for the Rams, not a starter. “Garrett’s done a nice job here just in the short time he’s been here in the last couple weeks,” Fisher said. “But there’s always that chance that we would add somebody.”

That would be a very, very good idea. To take some pressure off this developmental process, Snead should add more experience to the unit.

Now that teams have filled offensive line needs via the draft, the price for lingering free agents like guard Justin Blalock and tackle Joe Barksdale should keep plunging. Other veterans may become available as teams make their post-draft roster adjustments.

Keep shopping, Les, keep shopping.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Second overall 2014 draft pick Greg Robinson remains a work in progress at the critical left tackle position. At times he graded roads in the ground game while starting 12 games, but predictably he struggled in pass blocking while transitioning from a run-happy college program

I don't think that's a fair compaison. Robinson was asked to learn both LG and LT where LT is the most demanding spot on the OL.

It's reasonable to believe that the transition for the new draftees will be easier.

Havenstein will likely be focused on RT and only RT, a much less demanding spot to learn and help since that's where the TE lines up.

Rookies start at G all the time, not uncommon at all.

And from where I sit, the guys the Rams picked are highly coachable pro ready types who've already shown solid technique from systems known to produce pro ready prospects. They're also guys who'll be relying on size, you don't need to coach a guy on how to be 6'8, he just is.

While I'd kinda like another vet OL as a stopgap, it's not like the sky will be falling without one. Afaic, the sooner we get these scheme fit rookies on the field the better.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, it's Jeff Gordon...nuff said.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gordo is out of his Gourde.

Having rookies start on the Oline is not some unheard of philosophy. The Rams picked some guys in Havenstein and Donnal that are already very well coached from college. Guard is not as tough to learn. They will be fine with what they have.

Besides who are they going to sign? Who is left in Free agency? Barksdale and Blalock? That is it. If he was talking about them then he should have said Barksdale and Blalock. I bet that wont happen right away if at all. There is no reason to rush. They can get a look at the new guys in OTAs and make a decision then if need be.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think that's a fair compaison. Robinson was asked to learn both LG and LT where LT is the most demanding spot on the OL.

It's reasonable to believe that the transition for the new draftees will be easier.

Havenstein will likely be focused on RT and only RT, a much less demanding spot to learn and help since that's where the TE lines up.

Rookies start at G all the time, not uncommon at all.

And from where I sit, the guys the Rams picked are highly coachable pro ready types who've already shown solid technique from systems known to produce pro ready prospects. They're also guys who'll be relying on size, you don't need to coach a guy on how to be 6'8, he just is.

While I'd kinda like another vet OL as a stopgap, it's not like the sky will be falling without one. Afaic, the sooner we get these scheme fit rookies on the field the better.
What comparison? You mean assessment? I think it's a fair assessment. GRob played the run game well and struggled at pass-pro. A lot of people expected that from him and that's what he did. He showed his pass-pro ability at times when all he had to worry about was 1-on-1 blocking but when there were stunts, etc, that's when he struggled. Pretty badly at times. No one's saying he won't pick it up. That's just what he did last year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What comparison? You mean assessment? I think it's a fair assessment. GRob played the run game well and struggled at pass-pro. A lot of people expected that from him and that's what he did. He showed his pass-pro ability at times when all he had to worry about was 1-on-1 blocking but when there were stunts, etc, that's when he struggled. Pretty badly at times. No one's saying he won't pick it up. That's just what he did last year.

I don't think that is what JM meant. He was saying that Gordon seems to think that one offseason is not enough time to prepare these college offensive linemen to start in their first season. He cited Greg Robinsons play as an example. Junkman was saying it was not accurate to use Robinson as an example because he was being taught to play Guard for most of training camp with a little tackle mixed in. If GRob was taught to play purley tackle from the start of OTAs maybe the result would have been a little different.

Also GRob came from a very limited college offense. The guys the Rams drafted came from Pro Style offenses so there should be more familiarity with the NFL game. So I don't like the use of GRob as a standard in this article either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So Gordon offers up some suggestions to Snead

Gordon suggests "Other veterans may become available as teams make their post-draft roster adjustments" Yep lets get some more WWC's on the OL that will help.:eek:

Gordon suggest Justin Blalock...yes his name keeps coming up I kept seeing that Blalock was scheduled to visit the Rams Per Jim Thomas then I read he plans to visit the Rams but that was 2 months ago?? I never saw where Blalock arrived.... can someone help out me out on any verification that a visit did take place? I know Blalock here several teams like the Titans & Lions who needs OG's but there was no signing the word may have gotten out after those visits.

Blalock had been a pillar of sturdy in his long NFL career until September last season. From that point on he remained on the injury list for a bad weak back. I wondering if his back isn't going to hold up to a NFL season anymore. Why has'nt the ex all pro Blalock signed yet? Might he be another Davin Joseph clone?

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think that is what JM meant. He was saying that Gordon seems to think that one offseason is not enough time to prepare these college offensive linemen to start in their first season. He cited Greg Robinsons play as an example. Junkman was saying it was not accurate to use Robinson as an example because he was being taught to play Guard for most of training camp with a little tackle mixed in. If GRob was taught to play purley tackle from the start of OTAs maybe the result would have been a little different.

Also GRob came from a very limited college offense. The guys the Rams drafted came from Pro Style offenses so there should be more familiarity with the NFL game. So I don't like the use of GRob as a standard in this article either.
I see. His quote didn't have anyone else mentioned in it so it threw me off.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I see. His quote didn't have anyone else mentioned in it so it threw me off.

You know @V3 and @Elmgrovegnome , this is why I love RamsOnDemand and the folks who post here. Even when there are disagreements and misunderstandings, it's always honest and respectful. My virtual Rams life is SOOO much better than when I was posting over at that OTHER Rams board where Gordon works.

PS - nice info, @BonifayRam , I didn't know about that bad back thing, I was wondering why nobody was jumping at him.

Free agency is just always such a crapshoot, that you're either going to WAAAY overpay for someone (Drew Bennett or Jacob Bell), or you're going to get damaged goods (Scott Wells), sure to disappoint, or both (Jake Long). There's a reason these guys are FREE.

Given the opportunity the Rams have had with the RGIII trade, I'll take building carefully through the draft any day. And if you do grab a free agent, give them a year to prove their value (Kenny Britt) and only after they prove their worth do you give them the payday.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
So Gordon offers up some suggestions to Snead

Gordon suggests "Other veterans may become available as teams make their post-draft roster adjustments" Yep lets get some more WWC's on the OL that will help.:eek:

Gordon suggest Justin Blalock...yes his name keeps coming up I kept seeing that Blalock was scheduled to visit the Rams Per Jim Thomas then I read he plans to visit the Rams but that was 2 months ago?? I never saw where Blalock arrived.... can someone help out me out on any verification that a visit did take place? I know Blalock here several teams like the Titans & Lions who needs OG's but there was no signing the word may have gotten out after those visits.

Blalock had been a pillar of sturdy in his long NFL career until September last season. From that point on he remained on the injury list for a bad weak back. I wondering if his back isn't going to hold up to a NFL season anymore. Why has'nt the ex all pro Blalock signed yet? Might he be another Davin Joseph clone?

JT tweeted just before the draft that there was NO contact between Blalock and the Rams.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Gordo filling his Rams article quota.

Stick to the Cardinals, my man.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no real issue with the way Greg Robinson was EASED into the NFL by Boudreau. Rams did not have a serious non starting OL who could be a legitimate OLT on the roster. Sure they had a versatile guy like Mike Person who had always been a right OT & they had Barrett Jones too, but injuries to Wells & nagging injury to Barnes required Jones attention to be @ center.

Thus Robinson was fed a steady work of LEFT side work @ both OG & OT. WWC Davin Joseph was not working out well @ ORG & Saffold was swing both ways. Starting Long was fresh out of rehabbing from his first combo ACL MCL tears & was slowly being worked in so much was ongoing here. Robinson got a fast heavy duty dose of the NFL.....heck yes it will blow your mind of a 21 yr old.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
JT tweeted just before the draft that there was NO contact between Blalock and the Rams.

Thanks ChrisW thats what I was thinking...It could be :whistle:that someone on the Titans staff called Fisher & leaked :doh:the results of the Blalock Titan visit.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree with Gordon. I would still like to see a stronger veteran presence on the line.
Even for nothing more than depth.