Gonzalez: Rams need to replenish depth in their secondary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams need to replenish depth in their secondary

By Alden Gonzalez

From now until the start of free agency on March 7, we'll take a position-by-position look at the Los Angeles Rams in eight installments. The Rams -- coming off a 4-12 season that prompted the hiring of rookie head coach Sean McVay -- have about $40 million in cap space but do not have a first-round draft pick. They also have a lot of needs, all of which can feel a little overwhelming without breaking it down by section. We'll do that here. Next up: the secondary. (Previous: WR/TE, DL, OL, LB, RB, Q
cool.gif

Key returnees: CB E.J. Gaines, CB Lamarcus Joyner, S Maurice Alexander, S Cody Davis, CB Troy Hill, CB Mike Jordan, CB Blake Countess

Notable free agents: CB Trumaine Johnson, S T.J. McDonald

Top free agents available (for now): S Eric Berry, CB Stephon Gilmore, CB A.J. Bouye, S Tony Jefferson, S Barry Church, S Logan Ryan, CB Morris Claiborne

Key stat: The Rams had a 1.7 percent interception rate in 2016, the seventh-lowest mark in the NFL and their worst since 2009. Johnson had 13 interceptions from 2013 to '15, tied for fourth in the NFL, and a career-high seven in 2015. But he intercepted only one pass in 2016.

The depth in the Rams' secondary has eroded rather quickly. Last offseason, they lost primary cornerback Janoris Jenkins and free safetyRodney McLeod and replaced both internally. This offseason, their new primary cornerback, Johnson, and their stalwart strong safety, McDonald, are headed for unrestricted free agency. There's a chance -- though perhaps a slim one -- that either one will be franchised. But the likely scenario is that the Rams try to bring them back at fair market value, or if they can't then simply move on.

Joyner, only 5-foot-8 but pound-for-pound one of the game's toughest players, emerged as a solid slot corner in 2016. But Gaines, a promising rookie in 2014 who then missed all of 2015 with a serious foot injury, was graded 107th out of 112 qualified cornerbacks by Pro Football Focus. And the Rams didn't have much beyond that. Hill, Jordan and Countess, either undrafted or pushed aside by other teams, were next in line at cornerback. And Davis, primarily a special-teams contributor, was pressed into action when Alexander missed time at free safety.

Just as with the offensive line and the receiving corps, the Rams need to address their secondary this spring. They need to do it through free agency, a realm they haven't been very active in since Les Snead became general manager in 2012. And they need to do it through the draft, where they haven't taken a defensive back since 2014.

[www.espn.com]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would suggest going heavy early on outside Corners in the secondary & that's it.

Rams have three good Nickle/Dime backs with Gaines/Countess & Joyner. Stay focused on replacing starters Jenkins & Johnson. They were able to get both of them with second day selections back in 2012 no reason that Snead can not do it again. I see no need for roster filling corners if they can land two starting types. Jordan & Hill along with Gaines & Countess is enough back up power.

I see no pressing need to replace SS TJ McDonald through the draft. Wade should be fine with 3 young veteran safeties SS Mo Alexander (26 yrs), FS Cody Davis (28 yrs) & FS Lamarcus Joyner (27 yrs). Rookie FS Brian Randolph looked impressive before going down with a MCL in pre season. Other young Ram safeties worth mentioning are FS Marqui Christian & SS Jerome Couplin. If there is an issue in 2017 @ safety Wade has former starting SS Mark Barron who can do the job if need be.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Round 2 is likely going to be BPA there at CB. Without a doubt CB will be viable as a choice there if not outright BPA, given the depth of this class. Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't think we have the capital to fix many needs...OL & CB should be top priorities... With ILB & DE a strong second...If we didn't have all these wr's on the roster, I'd list them too. And I believe we can address corners in rounds 3, 4 & 5 and find some starters. Deep corner draft in 2017.
But, don't look now; Joyner is in the final year of his rookie deal.
http://overthecap.com/player/lamarcus-joyner/2980/
Might be a good time to start:thinking: thinking:sadwalk: about:banghead: extending:headexplosion::death: him:puke::giveup:.
Good...Time to cut bait with this guy. I don't know WHAT games PFF watches...but Joyner's pass coverage leaves much to be desired.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams may, or may not need some help in the secondary, I'm not so sure. BUT IF I'm setting the priorities it's OL-LDE-WR's and then DB's! JMHO!

Last edited:

jap

Legend
We lost Jenkins. Trumaine is an UFA and getting a big contract here or elsewhere... But, don't look now; Joyner is in the final year of his rookie deal.

http://overthecap.com/player/lamarcus-joyner/2980/

Might be a good time to start thinking about extending him.

They may think about extending Joyner, but any coaching regime worth their salt will want eyeball him this season to see whether Joyner fits their idea of whatever position they deem best for him.

There is such a ridiculous amount of work to be accomplished this off-season for this new regime: getting a young QB up to speed after his development was stunted by the last regime, fixing a porous OL and helping a young franchise RB regain his confidence and swagger, correcting a WR/TE group that has been poor for a decade, helping the defensive players adjust to Wade's defensive philosophy and be fundamentally sound while playing to their strengths. Thank goodness the special teams unit has a stable core, although they may have to deal with the potential loss of Benny Cunningham.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ref Lamarcus Joyner @CGI_Ram ......IMO the Rams drafted Joyner with one specific purpose in mind....fill the badly needed Nickle position. As we all know GW runs the Nickle as his base meaning LJ has basically been a starter for the last 3 yrs. LJ has done a good job in that role with some up & downs. The big downs is when he is asked to play any outside CB position @LACHAMP46. The Ups is when he is located up close to the LOS where everything is happening in front of him. As we know last season the 5-8 DB played a SSLB position when he was not playing the Nickle.

With new DC Wade Phillips defense that GW type position is gone. One thing the Rams & Wade is not short of is solid Nickle Backs. Thus this is the first time LJ might get to work in his best suited for his skills & talents ...the safeties positions. If LJ does move to safety @jap then a very big upward trend in LJ's career is about to begin. I would imagine it might even do the unthinkable .....make LACHAMP46 post positive about LJ;)

Last edited:

jap

Legend
If LJ does move to safety @jap then a very big upward trend in LJ's career is about to begin.

Ay 5' 8" LaMarcus lacks the preferred height for a safety. The question is whether his big heart can make up for some of his missing height.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ay 5' 8" LaMarcus lacks the preferred height for a safety. The question is whether his big heart can make up for some of his missing height.
So true but if being tall is what the NFL desires today then the near 6-2 Cody Davis might be our new starter @ deep safety.

Myself I am not a tall big safety type fan myself but I do like Cody. IMO todays safety position in the NFL has been evolving for years away from those big tall LB'er types roaming deep. I mean look at what we have had in our secondary for the past 4 yrs in a 6-21/2 220 pound TJ McDonald a true in-the-box strong safety that's not worked out all that well for us. To me the new breed of NFL safety is smaller, faster, quicker and can cover much like Rodney McLeod. Today’s elite safeties have one thing in common – speed. Now I will have to agree that's not a LJ strong point though. Its still hard to measure what's inside a person.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thinking of our secondary...I found this

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-secondaries-this-season/

22. Los Angeles Rams (17)
Top overall grade: S Maurice Alexander, 83.4 (No. 19)

Top coverage grade: S Maurice Alexander, 84.5 (No. 9) :yess::yay::banana:

Top run-defense grade: S Maurice Alexander, 73.3 (No. 56)

Most snaps: S T.J. McDonald, 1,072

Los Angeles’ secondary is a difficult unit to gauge. Among the Rams’ four players with at least 699 snaps, their lowest-graded player in coverage was:shooting: Lamarcus Joyner, at 78.3. But beyond those four, five of their other six defensive backs to see significant playing time graded under 45.0 in coverage. Troy Hill and :double:E.J. Gaines allowed passer ratings over 130.0, recording the second:death:- and fourth:headexplosion:-highest passer ratings allowed among all NFL cornerbacks:palm:, respectively:jerkoff:. The group as a whole was also tied for the league-lead for missed tackles by defensive backs, with 65. Los Angeles certainly has some pieces to work with, but needs to improve its starting base corner and depth.

The main reason I wanna give Mo one more year at FS...Is because I thought, besides that running away from breakaway runners ( still remember that Shady McCoy run) he did OK in coverage....If he gets better...Look out.

It's really the corners that need an upgrade...Especially the depth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thinking of our secondary...I found this

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-secondaries-this-season/

22. Los Angeles Rams (17)
Top overall grade: S Maurice Alexander, 83.4 (No. 19)

Top coverage grade: S Maurice Alexander, 84.5 (No. 9) :yess::yay::banana:

Top run-defense grade: S Maurice Alexander, 73.3 (No. 56)

Most snaps: S T.J. McDonald, 1,072

Los Angeles’ secondary is a difficult unit to gauge. Among the Rams’ four players with at least 699 snaps, their lowest-graded player in coverage was:shooting: Lamarcus Joyner, at 78.3. But beyond those four, five of their other six defensive backs to see significant playing time graded under 45.0 in coverage. Troy Hill and :double:E.J. Gaines allowed passer ratings over 130.0, recording the second:death:- and fourth:headexplosion:-highest passer ratings allowed among all NFL cornerbacks:palm:, respectively:jerkoff:. The group as a whole was also tied for the league-lead for missed tackles by defensive backs, with 65. Los Angeles certainly has some pieces to work with, but needs to improve its starting base corner and depth.

The main reason I wanna give Mo one more year at FS...Is because I thought, besides that running away from breakaway runners ( still remember that Shady McCoy run) he did OK in coverage....If he gets better...Look out.It's really the corners that need an upgrade...Especially the depth.
Well how long have I been sing MO Alexander's praises & potential?

I certainly have no issues with Mo remaining @ FS but I am seriously convinced that he is future pro bowl material @ the SS post. The top talented DB reserves @ Safety are @ FS type like Davis, Joyner, Randolph & Christian. With SS TJ McDonald departed to UFA'cy here's the perfect time to seize the moment for Mo.

I have a difference with you on any need for CB depth. I am off the opinion that Gaines, Hill, Jordan & Countess will make wonderful depth @ corner. Just find two starters!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think we have the capital to fix many needs...OL & CB should be top priorities... With ILB & DE a strong second...If we didn't have all these wr's on the roster, I'd list them too. And I believe we can address corners in rounds 3, 4 & 5 and find some starters. Deep corner draft in 2017.

Good...Time to cut bait with this guy. I don't know WHAT games PFF watches...but Joyner's pass coverage leaves much to be desired.

Then look at Mo & Gaines ??

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The problem we have is - we were so bad last year (on both sides of the ball) that it's really difficult to properly evaluate the talent that we have 'in-hose'.

I'm sure there will be lots of new acquisitions this off-season of players that McVay, Phillips, Kromer, Johnson and Yarber want to work with - guys that they think can help and be a part of the team, but also these new coaches can and will have a massive positive impact on the young squad that we already have in place. I do think that we took a step back on the D-Line (loss of Long*), at CB (loss of JJ) and at ILB (loss of JL*) it would be good if we could re-stock the cupboard there be it through FA or the Draft - the draft this year is very deep at CB and we'd be foolish not to go there.

*and before you tear me down i know both CL and JL were declining in their productivity but I still think that their understanding of the game and their contribution to the team far outweighed cutting them.