Gilbert vs. Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Last week, behind Hooisthatrunningpastmeey at LT, Davis looked pretty awful. This week, playing mostly with the 1st teamers, he looked really good.

Week 1, Gilbert looked the part of an NFL quarterback. Last week, he looked mostly lost. This week, he's shown some nice improvisation skills.

Who do you like better, based on their play in the preseason?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Davis

Gilbert may have some upside but he's safe on the PS if the Rams so choose.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Davis was going through his reads and played well. The game is too fast for Gilbert. Give him a year, like Davis.

goldenram

UDFA
Davis looks pretty good. Watched a lot of RedZone and he looked as good or better than most of the QBs playing tonight. Decent OL helps too.... After tonight we'll all be waitin on that one play that takes SB out, just a matter of when. Davis looks more comfortable and productive as a back ups back up.... Try to keep Gilbert on PS.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Davis looks pretty good. Watched a lot of RedZone and he looked as good or better than most of the QBs playing tonight. Decent OL helps too.... After tonight we'll all be waitin on that one play that takes SB out, just a matter of when. Davis looks more comfortable and productive as a back ups back up.... Try to keep Gilbert on PS.
My thoughts exactly.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Davis. Gilbert to PS to develop the kid. Doubt if anyone claims him. The week before on Davis, look at the OL he played with. Hill is our #2, well #1 for now.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I could be wrong but I think Davis gets cut. Looks like he got a nice little audition to show what he has. I think they keep Gilbert on the 53. Lot of potential.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Davis is better right now by a decent margin. But next year who knows. Gilbert can make it to the PS . The real question is if the third QB has to play this year who can win more games? Davis is that guy.

Slappy967

Starter
Davis played well his rookie year as well and then took a huge leap back last year. As far as this season is concerned I keep Davis and send Gilbert to the practice squad.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd go for Gilbert. Davis has had multiple opportunities over the previous two years. One good game in preseason doesn't make up for his mediocre past. I'd rather they go with the guy who has a real chance to be a good player, with a little experience, with the arm to be a NFL QB. I just think the likelihood is that he improves with a little experience - while Davis has more experience and much less room to improve.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'd go for Gilbert. Davis has had multiple opportunities over the previous two years. One good game in preseason doesn't make up for his mediocre past. I'd rather they go with the guy who has a real chance to be a good player, with a little experience, with the arm to be a NFL QB. I just think the likelihood is that he improves with a little experience - while Davis has more experience and much less room to improve.

I tend to agree here. Gilbert is still learning but Davis has peaked out. Davis knows the offense but he hasn't shown consistent play even against preseason scrubs. Gilbert may not be the obvious choice now but give it time.

On a side note, Davis throwing that interception into triple coverage basically offset the quality touchdowns he threw in my eyes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Davis has more experience in this offense. Infinitely more.
But I'm hoping it never comes to finding out which one is better.

Limey

Rookie
If they think Gilbert will clear waivers, they probably PS him, otherwise I think they try to keep him for his potential. Davis would probably be slightly better right now, but I can't see another team claiming him (nobody has so far!) so I don't see any value in keeping him on the roster. If we need either of them this year, we are probably planning for next year already.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This reminds me of last season to a degree because the feeling was that Austin Davis would take the next step and be the back-up to Bradford, however, his preseason was so bad that he lost his job to Kellen Clemens and the only reason he made it back to the Rams was his familiarity with the offense.

As of right now, it's not even close and you have to keep Davis. As others have posted if Gilbert has an upside practice squad is fine, but Davis is showcasing the skills that everyone liked about him in 2012.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Pretty clear if he gets protection Davis can run this offense,but he did get the 1s to play with ,it'd be nice if Gilbert got that to see how he is not running for his life recs. where they are supposed to be etc.

bskrilla

Starter
I think it's likely we see Gilbert early next week with a few more of the top tier guys. I doubt Bradford plays so the backup's are gonna get lots of reps.