GGG v. Canelo Part 2 - Canelo wins SD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure there will be complaining, but I can't argue the results. Roy Jones Jr. was saying it the entire fight. Canelo went out there and fought GGG's fight. GGG needed to put him down, or he was going to lose. Canelo was the aggressor, dictated the fight, and backed GGG up for most of the night. I had it down as a draw, but I didn't think a slight Canelo win was crazy. Canelo landed a lot more power shots and had a 46 to 6 advantage on power shots to the body.

I think fans tend to overcredit GGG's jab. GGG had the two most dominant rounds (and almost scored a KO imo), but Canelo was dominating the first half of the fight. That was legitimately the best fight I've seen in years. It was a good, old-fashioned brawl. Those two guys have ridiculous chins.

EDIT: Whoops, mistake on the title. Should be "MD" (Majority Decision).

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm sure there will be complaining, but I can't argue the results. Roy Jones Jr. was saying it the entire fight. Canelo went out there and fought GGG's fight. GGG needed to put him down, or he was going to lose. Canelo was the aggressor, dictated the fight, and backed GGG up for most of the night. I had it down as a draw, but I didn't think a slight Canelo win was crazy. Canelo landed a lot more power shots and had a 46 to 6 advantage on power shots to the body.

I think fans tend to overcredit GGG's jab. GGG had the two most dominant rounds (and almost scored a KO imo), but Canelo was dominating the first half of the fight. That was legitimately the best fight I've seen in years. It was a good, old-fashioned brawl. Those two guys have ridiculous chins.

EDIT: Whoops, mistake on the title. Should be "MD" (Majority Decision).
Agreed.
Could have gone either way.
I'm a GGG fan but I gave a slight nod to Canelo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I didn't watch it, I'll find it on the internet and watch. The punch count favored Golovkin so I assumed he was just landing jabs not big punchs. Is that how it was?

Those two will cash in big time on a third fight.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't watch it, I'll find it on the internet and watch. The punch count favored Golovkin so I assumed he was just landing jabs not big punchs. Is that how it was?

Those two will cash in big time on a third fight.

Yep. GGG always lands an insane amount of jabs. Canelo had him 143 to 116 on power punches, IIRC. It was a great fight.

Canelo's strategy threw him off his game for the first 8 or 9 rounds and made GGG look bad at times, but GGG rallied late and nearly knocked him out at a couple different points. It was an interesting fight because they went toe to toe. Canelo was the one pressuring GGG for most of the fight.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep. GGG always lands an insane amount of jabs. Canelo had him 143 to 116 on power punches, IIRC. It was a great fight.

Canelo's strategy threw him off his game for the first 8 or 9 rounds and made GGG look bad at times, but GGG rallied late and nearly knocked him out at a couple different points. It was an interesting fight because they went toe to toe. Canelo was the one pressuring GGG for most of the fight.

On the local ESPN show here one guy thought it was a draw like the first fight, I'll try to find it and see for myself.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On the local ESPN show here one guy thought it was a draw like the first fight, I'll try to find it and see for myself.

I thought it was a draw too, but I understood why they narrowly gave it to Canelo. He's a counter-puncher, and GGG is the pressure fighter. Yet, he was the one pressuring GGG the whole fight and forcing GGG onto his back foot. As Roy Jones Jr. said, Canelo won the "story" of the fight.