General Camp Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
First the Rams have done a great job on the accommodations of camp. The music provided by my friend Todd's DJ service, the beer sales, the general friendliness and all the activities for kids. I see staffers and Demoff circulating through the crowds....its a great experience.

Gregg Williams definitely has a voice, from the way he drives the linebackers in pass coverage to every rep in 11 on 11 you can hear him all over camp. Its hasn't been as profane as I expected save when he told a rookie in pass coverage to not give him "that bullshit" when the rookie didn't get a deep enough drop. Its been my thought from the start that they aren't showing as much of the blitz packages in open practice as we will see in games. Usually it seems that they emphasize one area or the other. They started coming off the edge all the time and this week its almost all been up the gut or the A gaps.

Other than a couple of special teams drills and especially a fake kick I have not seen Coach Fisher taking as much charge of drills and reps as he did before...he is standing behind the offense more than anything else. He and Dave McGinnis are attached at the hip most of the time.

Coach Fassel gets the same effect without a bullhorn that Crash Gansz used to get with his portable speaker system. He is really exuberant and enthusiastic and there has been a lot of emphasis on coverage and staying in lanes so far.

Coach Sherman of the wide receivers is really driving his crew this time around, a lot louder than I remember him.

Kenan Smith the assistant wide receivers coach has taken Chris Givens under his wing and they are out earlier than the rest almost everyday working on route running. Givens has dropped way down on the depth chart and takes a lot of reps with the third string. After having a desultory first couple of days he has been working harder and they seem to have his attention.

The Rams have introduced this drill where one or two offensive linemen push another one up one of the hills. Its an amazing sight and I got several pictures and watching Greg Robinson drive people up the hill gives you a close up look at his size and power.

Robinson has had more than his share of rookie moments. The take away I have is he gets some correction in technique from one of the Boudreau's and then nails it the next time. Jake Long and he on one side of the line will clear a lot of holes for Stacy and company. Scott Wells and Joe Barksdale had great days on Tuesday both in 11 on 11 and match up competition. Wells got out to the edge and the second level on one play with Stacy right behind him.....looked great.

Bradford started out very rusty and looked pretty bad the first day of camp....he quickly rallied and even got kicked in his injured yesterday without missing a beat.

My four things I take away from the Quarterbacks is that Bradford has developed a trust factor with Quick that was not there before. I remember last year Sam checking off in a drill and Quick totally missing and running the route wrong. I don't think he ever looked his way again that day. This go around has totally different.

All that said what will really tell is the first Sam gets sacked and how he reacts after that. It doesn't appear to be this Friday.

Shaun Hill is competent and is probably a better option than Clemens...he does not drive the ball and appears to have trouble if he has to put it on a line deep or mid range down the middle.

Garrett Gilbert has a live arm, some ability and is worth keeping on 53 instead of stashing on the practice squad. His footwork was shaky at the top of his drop at first and I am anxious to see how he looks Friday night.

Kenny Britt is a bona fide NFL caliber starting wide receiver. He really knows how to fight back for the ball and shield defenders off. His health will always be the questions but his competitive spirit, and trash talking is very welcome on the field.

Emory Blake out of Auburn and last year''s practice squad is someone to both look for and possibly make the squad if they decide to be down with Pettis.

I was expecting Aaron Donald to be quick and fast but not this strong........he has a bull rush that looks every bit as effective as Brockers or Conrath.

Carrington doesn't get talked about very much but they use his together with Conrath a lot of times and I think I clearly see why they signed him...its the anti-Wilson line up. If those two can get up the middle against Seattle and into the passing lanes there is now way he is gonna be able to get a pass off.

The corners are of concern....McGee is much improved but still gets turned..he at least is competitive in this camp and not lost.

Greg Reid has some really bad moments early but this week started to make some plays and look more like he belongs.

Woodward has done very little.

Trumaine Johnson was playing yesterday but several times pulled and worked on his quad.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Thanks for all your reports! I cant wait for friday, and ill watch the whole thing too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks @jimitroutboy! About Gilbert. You say his feet look shaky at the top of his drop. Is his body position off, thereby affecting his balance and accuracy? Or is it just a matter of him having 'happy feet' after planting?

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was no plant really at first, more of a couple hops and then throw. You could tell he was used to the June Jones shotgun system.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There was no plant really at first, more of a couple hops and then throw. You could tell he was used to the June Jones shotgun system.
Hmm. I'm only asking because he's reportedly very conscientious about his technique and kinda sensitive about criticism (re: the whole leaving Texas story). So I'm wondering if he's trying to execute too perfectly and not relying on his talents as much. I mean, I'm sure he's thinking a lot right now, but I'm wondering if he's a little too much in his own head right now as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My four things I take away from the Quarterbacks is that Bradford has developed a trust factor with Quick that was not there before. I remember last year Sam checking off in a drill and Quick totally missing and running the route wrong. I don't think he ever looked his way again that day. This go around has totally different.
Besides making me laugh my head off, I was thinking, is this the way to handle this type of situation...Not just a question for you Jimi, but anyone....
Loved your reports Jimi, thanks for all the time you spend and work you put in...You and Coach0 will always be remembered out west....Will you be reporting next week too? What happened to Hammer, he didn't go yesterday?

Alan

Legend
Thanks Jim. That's some good news about several of our question marks.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Besides making me laugh my head off, I was thinking, is this the way to handle this type of situation...Not just a question for you Jimi, but anyone....
Loved your reports Jimi, thanks for all the time you spend and work you put in...You and Coach0 will always be remembered out west....Will you be reporting next week too? What happened to Hammer, he didn't go yesterday?
Yeah, Quick has to know that if Sam can't trust him, Sam won't throw him the ball. Can't afford to make mistakes. Obviously it worked and motivated Quick, because he's not making those mistakes this year and Sam can now trust him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I get the feeling from reading this that Coach Williams' coaching stile may be rubbing off on other coaches, and assistants!:D

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Thanks jimitroutboy.....greatly appreciated. ... ;)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Quick has become my #1 player to watch in preseason.
His development would be huge for this team.
I'm dreaming about a legitimate NFL WR core with depth.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I get the feeling from reading this that Coach Williams' coaching stile may be rubbing off on other coaches, and assistants!:D
Thank the Lord! Especially Sherman, he was falling into Walton territory...who also su*&, better not write that, all the sensitive eyes around here. :cautious::cautious::sneaky::sneaky:

Mamfm5

UDFA
First the Rams have done a great job on the accommodations of camp. The music provided by my friend Todd's DJ service, the beer sales, the general friendliness and all the activities for kids. I see staffers and Demoff circulating through the crowds....its a great experience.

Gregg Williams definitely has a voice, from the way he drives the linebackers in pass coverage to every rep in 11 on 11 you can hear him all over camp. Its hasn't been as profane as I expected save when he told a rookie in pass coverage to not give him "that bullcrap" when the rookie didn't get a deep enough drop. Its been my thought from the start that they aren't showing as much of the blitz packages in open practice as we will see in games. Usually it seems that they emphasize one area or the other. They started coming off the edge all the time and this week its almost all been up the gut or the A gaps.

After a few plays in 11 on 11's where the D was getting very lackadaisical and slow to react to the O's quick snap, Williams let out a very audible "It isnt illegal for the offense to quick snap the ball when your standing around with your thumb in your ass!" It got a nice chuckle from everyone around me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
After a few plays in 11 on 11's where the D was getting very lackadaisical and slow to react to the O's quick snap, Williams let out a very audible "It isnt illegal for the offense to quick snap the ball when your standing around with your thumb in your ass!" It got a nice chuckle from everyone around me.
We should have been on Hard Knocks.
I want to be there with you guys.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the report... much appreciated!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Nice report. Quick is the guy I can't wait to see Friday.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Thanks for the posts Jim. Hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of following you on twitter. I'm just too impatient for you to post your tweets on ROD.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I hope all the Quick hype is for real....... this time. Can imagine how mouthy its going to be when Britt and Sherman lock horns.