CAMP REPORT Fri July-27 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ss6ln6ioyqkmblsdojjw.pdf

https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-day-1-of-training-camp

10 Observations from Day 1 of Training Camp
Throughout training camp, team insider Myles Simmons will share his top observations from each practice.

1) First observation is uniform related: The Rams got new practice jerseys. Gone are the royal blue practice jerseys the offense has been wearing for the last few years. In are darker navy blue jerseys with white numerals. The defense is still wearing white.

2) There’s also a new feature at camp — a small video board on the far end zones closest to the biergarten. It displays a high view of the plays just after they’re completed for on-field review.

3) After beginning with a special teams period — where the club appeared to be working on kickoff drills — Los Angeles’ offense began the session with ball security work. Head coach Sean McVay often began offensive sessions this way during the offseason program, too, signifying the importance of keeping possessions.

4) A McVay practice doesn’t seem to really start until the head coach gets on the field and starts covering receivers when they’re running routes against air. McVay did that early in the season on Thursday afternoon, seeming to work against crossing routes in particular to get his steps in.

5) Another staple of a McVay practice is tempo. The head coach was encouraging the quarterbacks and wide receivers to keep moving quickly in order to make the most of the allotted time in each drill.

6) For the first one-on-one drills of the year, Los Angeles’ quarterbacks and wideouts seemed to get the better of the secondary. Jared Goff completed passes short passes to Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, and Robert Woods against Marcus Peters, Nickell Robey-Coleman, and Aqib Talib, respectively. Each time, Goff had to fit the ball into a tight window, and he did.

7) Also in one-on-one drills, wide receiver Mike Thomas went up and snagged a pass over cornerback Sam Shields down the left sideline. It was a nice play for the third-year wide receiver out of Southern Miss.

8) It’s a small detail, but in 7-on-7 drills, Peters tried to rip the ball out of Cooks’ hands after a pass that would have moved the chains for a first down. It was a short throw — the offense needed only three or four yards — and Cooks had enough for it and had secured the ball. But it’s that kind of effort on the first day of camp in 7-on-7 that makes Peters such an elite defender. He does have five career forced fumbles — including three in 2017.

9) Also during 7-on-7 drills, linebacker Ramik Wilson made an athletic, juggling interception on a pass from Goff to tight end Tyler Higbee down the seam. The ball was well thrown, but safety Lamarcus Joyner, Wilson, and Higbee all converged toward the ball at the same time. With the ball tipped, Wilson nearly picked it off, couldn’t secure it, fell to the ground, and still couldn’t quite secure it. Though Talib almost picked up the still-live ball and ran with it, Wilson finally secured the pick.

10) It’s difficult to evaluate the run game when the team doesn’t have on pads. But there were a couple runs in 11-on-11 drills where Gurley burst through a solid hole from the offensive line and sped down the field for big gains. Goff joked in his press conference that there’s maybe a reason Gurley’s had a touch more pep in his step over the last couple days.

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
Us UK fans are just finishing work for the weekend and I'm sat here waiting for pics and updates.

Cheers!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1) First observation is uniform related: The Rams got new practice jerseys. Gone are the royal blue practice jerseys the offense has been wearing for the last few years. In are darker navy blue jerseys with white numerals. The defense is still wearing white.

This is a nice change. Never could understand the misuse of the wrong blues when it comes to Rams jerseys lol. Tighten up that brand with the right color ah yeeeuh, we're an elite franchise now weeee!

MachS

Hall of Fame
Here is a screenshot of what happened before the Ramik Wilson pick. If you watch the video it's a perfectly thrown ball by Goff (I mean wow) that Higbee dropped, hit him right in the hands. It's a contested catch but one that needs to be made down the seam.

Training Camp.PNG

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
Uniform announcement at 2pm Eastern (10pm UK)
?????

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
@theduke is and maybe @LARams_1963 . Duke texted me and said they didn't check anybody for being a season ticket holder!

That's why I didn't go, thought it was season ticket holders only.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is a nice change. Never could understand the misuse of the wrong blues when it comes to Rams jerseys lol. Tighten up that brand with the right color ah yeeeuh, we're an elite franchise now weeee!

I disagree. I worked out in the sun most of my life. You learn quickly that clothing color can make a big difference in comfort. Light colors when it's hot, dark colors when it's colder. I'd have the whole team wearing white and yellow or a lighter blue in camp. White for all early season games. I won't put on a dark shirt on a hot sunny day.

Here is a screenshot of what happened before the Ramik Wilson pick. If you watch the video it's a perfectly thrown ball by Goff (I mean wow) that Higbee dropped, hit him right in the hands. It's a contested catch but one that needs to be made down the seam.

View attachment 25640

I hope Everett fulfils his potential. This offense is already good but if they could add a guy like Witten or Kelce, Damn that would be great. Higbee has been underwhelming.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is from Elvis, and I am not Elvis and this was posted on The Herd Board by Steve and I'm not Steve...Plus we did not have a report for yesterday, which was such an easy game to play as I believe in yesterday.

And we're back!

Crazy crowded today, maybe most crowded camp day ever. Gareth and Kayfabe came too (fellow ST holders). Gareth has been to one camp before, the Chargers scrimmage which was pretty packed itself but Gareth thought today had more people.

I also ran in to @Ramsfan1971 and his wife, so pretty great day.

They had a sort of rally first, which i'm sure everyone knows about by now, and the big news is, we can wear our throwbacks more that we thought. The free t-shirts were pretty awesome and had the right colors.

Actual news: The new uniforms aren't coming until 2020 which we all pretty much knew anyway.

The offense looked really good, certainly the best it's looked early in camp either of the two previous years in L.A. No need to talk about the defense being ahead of the offense.

Sure the 1's were usually going against the 2's but even when it was 1 on 1, or compared to the last two years, Goff and the offense looked really good.

Only Goff and Mannion took reps against the defense, can't imagine Mannion is in any trouble at #2 but man, he doesn't look that great.

Cooks made a lot of nice catches and he does this thing when he's not the target where he puts his hands up like the ball's coming to him and he's about to catch it.

Peters couldn't cover Woods in 7 on 7's and Woods looked great pretty much every time i watched him.

Josh Reynolds dropped a lot of balls.

But for the last set, the number 1 defense beat the number 1 offense and the offense had to run.

Suh looked unblockable at times, Smart had some nice penetration.

Kind of wondered what to call Brokers' look but decided "what ever the hell he wants to call it" is the right answer. He's a man among men.

Goff has been the first man on the field so far in camp. In previous years it was Harkey and Chase Reynolds, then Sam Rodgers last year. So i can only assume Goff is gonna get cut.

Crowded as it was, i didn't get to move around a lot so was limited in what i saw or was able to take pictures of.

Tomorrow is supposed be a "dial it down" day and Sunday in pads, so planning to be back at it on Sunday..

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[www.espn.com]

Lindsey Thiry
ESPN

Rookie report from Day 2 of Rams training camp: Offensive tackle Joseph Noteboom, a third-round pick from TCU, took some reps at second-team right guard -- which means the rookie, at times, lined up across from Ndamukong Suh. Noteboom and Austin Blythe are competing to replace Jamon Brown as Brown serves a two-game suspension. Defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers, a fourth-round pick from Stephen F. Austin, got some reps with the starters. "He's shown the ability to move across the front," coach Sean McVay said. "He's got a natural rush ability, he can really work edges on people."

Quote of the Day on Thursday came from defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh on Aaron Donald: "He's a guy that I've watched from afar and hopefully have an opportunity sometime soon to get on the same field and be on the same side of the ball... I spoke to him at the very beginning of everything. I've obviously stayed out of contract stuff and things of that nature, it's really none of my business. I wish him all the best, he deserves more than what I got, so I'll kind of leave it at that."

Aqib Talib was impressed by Jared Goff's deep ball accuracy on Day 1 of Rams training camp. Day 2 showed more of the same. Goff's chemistry with Brandin Cooks is well on its way as Cooks caught a couple of mid-range throws in tight space as well as a deep pass from Goff. “They've got a good rapport,” coach Sean McVay said. “It's day two, like you mentioned, so there's a lot of work that we still have to get done, but I thought it was a step in the right direction.” Goff also connected on a deep ball to Robert Woods as he was covered by Marcus Peters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They really need to assign Higs an hour a day on the juggs with DBs slappin his hands or something. Dude always looks like the ball is greased up when he catches it.

Ram65

Legend
Smart had some nice penetration.

Good to hear this. Smart got pushed around some last year. He does seem to be the odd man out. Maybe, he got in the weight room and can hold his ground better this year.

Noteboom and Austin Blythe are competing to replace Jamon Brown as Brown serves a two-game suspension.

Didn't think Noteboom would get reps @ OG. Thought they would concentrate on OT.

Defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers, a fourth-round pick from Stephen F. Austin, got some reps with the starters. "He's shown the ability to move across the front," coach Sean McVay said. "He's got a natural rush ability, he can really work edges on people."

Great news. Can always use a pass rusher in the rotation.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
The offense looked really good, certainly the best it's looked early in camp either of the two previous years in L.A. No need to talk about the defense being ahead of the offense.

Sure the 1's were usually going against the 2's but even when it was 1 on 1, or compared to the last two years, Goff and the offense looked really good.

Only Goff and Mannion took reps against the defense, can't imagine Mannion is in any trouble at #2 but man, he doesn't look that great.

I went to Camp yesterday. However, I was hosting a fellow Ram fan from Italy and his family. So, I didn't have the usual attention to detail that I usually do. I first wanted to counter what was written by OP "Elvis" above. My intention is not to poo-poo his post but just say that what I saw was a little different.

- Offense looked good to a degree ; When it was 7 on 7 it really showed. None of the CB's could cover Woods, Cooks and Kupp. But, when it was 11-on-11, the defense made a few stops that the average Fan is unaware of. For example, the second team defense had the ROLB get past Whitworth on a play and ran right by Goff before he threw a nice pass down the middle to Woods. Most everyone cheered, but I shook my head saying, no, that was a sack. The second team defense made approx 3 stops like that against the first team offense in the first 12 minute session. ON another with some of the #1 DB's on the field..... Woods caught aan intermediate crossing route, almost a slant about 15 yards deep. Most of the crowd cheered for the completion, but what they didn't notice was Joyner coming to a complete stop bringing both feet together right in front of woods as he caught the ball. As the play breaks up and the offensive players go back to the huddle, about 3 other defensive players come and give Joyner a high five and 1 a hand shake, then McVay walks over and shakes Joyners hand, as if to say, thanks for not blowing up my starting WR. An example of why it is hard to tell who is ahead of who on the field.

- Mannion ; yes it's true that Mannion doesn't look as good as Goff. the OP states that the 1's go against the 2's primarily through each practice but he does not point out that Mannion goes against the starting defense mostly and Goff does not. With that being said, Mannion threw one of the nicest passes of the day ; a deep route down the left side to Reynolds who dropped the ball. I think Mannion is doing just fine considering who's protecting him and who is coming after him.

Other random notes:

DB Kevin Peterson - Kevin is now #25, previously #47 I believe ..... he was aggressive at anticipating throws. He made one pick by jumping a route and almost had a second. If he continues to improve, he will be in contention for the #4 spot.

Lamarcus Joyner - Joyner spent much of the early session, 1 on 1 drills, working with the QB'a and Centers getting the ball out quick off of 3 step drops. He played the role of the slot receiver running a quick slant. He also had the equipment guys throwing him passes from differing angles, up high, down low, over his head to work on his hands. The man is always working.

TE's - Higbee looks the same ; do not see any improvement yet from last year. He is still inconsistent stretching the field. I'ld say he's making the catch 50% of the time. Hemingway made a few catches, but his routes are usually shorter and near the sideline. WOuld like to see Hemingway get the same opportunities that HIgbee gets to see if he's more consistent. Cody McElroy caught some passes in 1-on1 drills what was non-existent the rest of the day. Same with Everett ; not many pays went to him today.

That's it for now. I hope to make it to one of the practices where they will be in pads so there will be more to talk about.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I went to Camp yesterday. However, I was hosting a fellow Ram fan from Italy and his family. So, I didn't have the usual attention to detail that I usually do. I first wanted to counter what was written by OP "Elvis" above. My intention is not to poo-poo his post but just say that what I saw was a little different.

- Offense looked good to a degree ; When it was 7 on 7 it really showed. None of the CB's could cover Woods, Cooks and Kupp. But, when it was 11-on-11, the defense made a few stops that the average Fan is unaware of. For example, the second team defense had the ROLB get past Whitworth on a play and ran right by Goff before he threw a nice pass down the middle to Woods. Most everyone cheered, but I shook my head saying, no, that was a sack. The second team defense made approx 3 stops like that against the first team offense in the first 12 minute session. ON another with some of the #1 DB's on the field..... Woods caught aan intermediate crossing route, almost a slant about 15 yards deep. Most of the crowd cheered for the completion, but what they didn't notice was Joyner coming to a complete stop bringing both feet together right in front of woods as he caught the ball. As the play breaks up and the offensive players go back to the huddle, about 3 other defensive players come and give Joyner a high five and 1 a hand shake, then McVay walks over and shakes Joyners hand, as if to say, thanks for not blowing up my starting WR. An example of why it is hard to tell who is ahead of who on the field.

- Mannion ; yes it's true that Mannion doesn't look as good as Goff. the OP states that the 1's go against the 2's primarily through each practice but he does not point out that Mannion goes against the starting defense mostly and Goff does not. With that being said, Mannion threw one of the nicest passes of the day ; a deep route down the left side to Reynolds who dropped the ball. I think Mannion is doing just fine considering who's protecting him and who is coming after him.

Other random notes:

DB Kevin Peterson - Kevin is now #25, previously #47 I believe ..... he was aggressive at anticipating throws. He made one pick by jumping a route and almost had a second. If he continues to improve, he will be in contention for the #4 spot.

Lamarcus Joyner - Joyner spent much of the early session, 1 on 1 drills, working with the QB'a and Centers getting the ball out quick off of 3 step drops. He played the role of the slot receiver running a quick slant. He also had the equipment guys throwing him passes from differing angles, up high, down low, over his head to work on his hands. The man is always working.

TE's - Higbee looks the same ; do not see any improvement yet from last year. He is still inconsistent stretching the field. I'ld say he's making the catch 50% of the time. Hemingway made a few catches, but his routes are usually shorter and near the sideline. WOuld like to see Hemingway get the same opportunities that HIgbee gets to see if he's more consistent. Cody McElroy caught some passes in 1-on1 drills what was non-existent the rest of the day. Same with Everett ; not many pays went to him today.

That's it for now. I hope to make it to one of the practices where they will be in pads so there will be more to talk about.

Outstanding report, 8to12.

Much appreciated, man.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Other random notes:

see, this is why we love getting different people's opinions on what they saw on the field. every person sees different things. and we get a better picture of what's happening out there.

thanks.