CAMP REPORT Fri Aug-17 Final Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
E1672A6D-20DE-492C-9102-1210B983357E.jpeg

https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-8-15-18-rams-close-camp-in-irvine

Quotes & Notes 8/15/18: Rams Close Camp in Irvine
  • Head coach Sean McVay and the Rams will look to improve on their preseason showing in Week 2 against the Raiders.
  • Saturday’s preseason game will provide the opportunity for McVay’s offense to put up some points, following a one-touchdown outing against the Ravens last week.
  • Despite a poor performance by backup quarterback Sean Mannion, McVay emphasised again on Thursday that the entire team is responsible for underperforming in Baltimore, including himself.
  • Thursday’s final training camp practice ended with an exciting showing from undrafted rookie quarterback Luis Perez, who received high-fives from fellow QBs, and broke down the final huddle of camp.
  • Perez picked apart the Rams’ reserve defensive unit, stringing together a handful of nice completions, including one touchdown pass.
  • Perez might have had the play of the day, floating a beautiful pass over the shoulder of fellow undrafted rookie, running back Nick Holley, on a wheel route out of the backfield.
  • Perez did not see any action in preseason Week 1 and has received minimal full-squad reps in practice in Irvine.
  • McVay commented on the Rams’ receiver situation heading into Saturday’s game in the Coliseum.
  • Considering recent injuries, McVay and pass game coordinator Shane Waldron might get a look at some of the names further down the depth chart.
  • Rams fans will more than likely not see names like Kupp, Woods, and Cooks on the field on Saturday, but rather wide receivers looking to make a statement in the preseason, like KhaDarel Hodge, Kendal Thompson, Fred Brown, and JoJo Natson.
  • Hodge reeled in the Rams’ only touchdown last week against the Ravens.
“You want to see more sharp, crisp execution — doing a good job recognizing what they are doing, and then just being able to play sound football.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“He was balling. He did a great job right there, hitting spots, making a play off schedule, so he got to break it down for the team. You can see how much his teammates enjoy him and they are happy for him anytime he is able to have success.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“Looking forward to seeing when we get [wide receiver] Josh Reynolds back. Mike Thomas will be a gametime decision, and Pharoh Cooper has done really a lot of nice things. So I think we’ve got some good depth, but we are always striving to reach our highest potential collectively together.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-day-13-of-training-camp

10 Observations from Day 13 of Training Camp

1) The Rams were not in pads for the final day of camp at UC Irvine. They began the session with a walk-thru for special teams, followed by offense and defensive walk-thrus on separate fields. Head coach Sean McVay then brought the whole team together after stretching and sent the players out to individual drills, likely encouraging the club to finish strong.

2) Early on during 11-on-11 drills, wide receiver Robert Woods made a terrific one-handed catchalong the right sideline. With cornerback Aqib Talib covering him, Woods stuck out his left arm, brought the ball into his body, then got both feet in on the sideline before falling out of bounds. Talib applauded the catch, as cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant and assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Barry ran up and shook Wood’s hand to congratulate him.

3) Rookie running back John Kelly has continued to stand out, making a nice run to the right with the second-team offense. He cut through the hole, then turned up his speed as he raced toward the right sideline. With running back Justin Davis nursing a hamstring injury, Kelly seems poised to play significant snaps on Saturday against Oakland.

4) The Rams went up tempo for a third-down period in 7-on-7 drills. The offense would run a play then go right back up to the line for another snap. With the first-team offense and defense going against one another, quarterback Jared Goff connected with Woods on the right side toward the sideline. The throw was in the right spot to beat Cover 2, with No. 17 making the catch right between the second and third levels of the defense.

5) Los Angeles moved the 7-on-7 period from the middle of the field to the red zone, and that’s where Tyler Higbee made consecutive touchdown receptions. The first came in the middle of the end zone against double coverage — Goff threw the pass high where Higbee could get his arms extended and make the completion. The second came on an out route in the end zone — Higbee shook off his defender and secured the pass for a scoring strike.

6) Kelly continued to impress in the 7-on-7 period, making a touchdown catch out of the backfield. With Sean Mannion at quarterback, Kelly caught a pass in the flat on the right side, then used his speed to get into the end zone. He extended the ball in celebration.

7) Los Angeles then ostensibly used an 11-on-11 period for players who are more likely to get time in Saturday’s game versus the Raiders. Late in the period, quarterback Brandon Allen made a nice throw to wide receiver Fred Brown on the left side of the field. Allen hit Brown in stride on an out route, allowing the receiver to continue on his path.

8) In that same period, Mannion and wide receiver Pharoh Cooper connected for a pair of solid plays. On the first, Cooper stretched to his right to make a catch on the right sideline after a quick out. A couple of plays later, a similar situation occurred with Cooper again stretching to make a completion.

9) Late in practice, running back Nick Holley caught a nice wheel route down the right sideline. An undrafted free agent out of Kent State, Holley has seemed to make the most out of his opportunities when he’s been able to get on the field. He’ll likely see playing time against Oakland as well.

10) Quarterback Luis Perez threw that pass to Holley and lit up the final period of practicewith a string of nice throws. He connected with Brown down the seam, then with wideout Kendal Thompson on a short play to the left. McVay moved the drill up to the red zone and Perez excelled there, too, delivering a solid throw to Thompson in the back-left corner of the end zone. Thompson dragged his toes to secure the catch.

McVay had Perez break the huddle to end camp after the period.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Dang it! I missed some good stuff!

I hate it when work gets in your way of having fun.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hate it when work gets in your way of having fun.

Balancing work/life is always a constant challenge and the best answer when someone asks you on an interview..."What is your greatest area of opportunity?" Balancing work & life.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Again Mannion gets his pass pro from the likes of DWilliams, Lucas, Neary and rookie Allen. He gets to target, Natson, Hoge, Brown,, and Kendall Thompson.

Again he'll get ripped from Media fans when the Rams can't move the ball or score TD's.

I expect Kelly and Cooper to be the standout playmakers Saturday.

Go figure.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thursday’s final training camp practice ended with an exciting showing from undrafted rookie quarterback Luis Perez, who received high-fives from fellow QBs, and broke down the final huddle of camp.
  • Perez picked apart the Rams’ reserve defensive unit, stringing together a handful of nice completions, including one touchdown pass.

Eager to see this kid play, hopefully he gets some looks vs the Raiduhs. Still think he's PS at best, but it's nice to hear that he's taking to the coaching and growing.

5) Los Angeles moved the 7-on-7 period from the middle of the field to the red zone, and that’s where Tyler Higbee made consecutive touchdown receptions. The first came in the middle of the end zone against double coverage — Goff threw the pass high where Higbee could get his arms extended and make the completion. The second came on an out route in the end zone — Higbee shook off his defender and secured the pass for a scoring strike.

Keep it up Higs we need that bar raised badly at TE. (y)

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Again Mannion gets his pass pro from the likes of DWilliams, Lucas, Neary and rookie Allen. He gets to target, Natson, Hoge, Brown,, and Kendall Thompson.

Again he'll get ripped from Media fans when the Rams can't move the ball or score TD's.

I expect Kelly and Cooper to be the standout playmakers Saturday.

Go figure.
This is what all backups do, and the good ones find a way to at least look good. Those that don't find a way to look good usually get replaced.

Mannion is a pocket passer, we all know that. But he has no pocket awareness, as he gets too nervous in the pocket. I don't care how bad your team is around you, it you're not mobile, and also not good in the pocket, things that have always been a problem, then maybe he should find a new line of work, because soon you'll have no choice.

Now maybe in the next game or two he'll surprise me, but I'm not counting on it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reek, so you're saying don't let Mannion have the same pass pro and playmakers as Goff?

We can turn that logic around.

How about we put Goff behind DWilliams, Neary, Allen, Kolone and Lucas and let him throw to Natson, Brown Thompson, Hoge.

You think Goff will still have the same numbers and success as he does with the first unit?

I can tell you McVay would shit a brick and never even think of exposing Goff with those players.

Backups come in and play behind the 1st unit. Mannion has never had that chance.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reek, so you're saying don't let Mannion have the same pass pro and playmakers as Goff?

How about we put Goff behind DWilliams, Neary, Allen, Kolone and Lucas and let him throw to Natson, Brown Thompson, Hoge.

You think Goff will still have the same numbers and success as he does with the first unit?

I can tell you McVay would crap a brick and never even think of exposing Goff with those players.

Backups come in and play behind the 1st unit. Mannion has never had that chance.
You are tilting at windmill's bro...Mannion will never get that chance to be with the Ones in a meaningful game, unless tragedy strikes and Goff goes down. We'll watch Mannion critically, hoping for the best...We can only judge him by what he does in games, and not just with a red shirt.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm sure by now you get my point. McVay has expressed concern for Goff's health if the 1st team OL is not in front of him. He's not worried about Mannion player there, and probably doesn't
care how poorly he does as long as he's getting reps and ready to come in if Goff goes down.

You're right Loyal, we'll never see Mannion with the first unit unless Goff goes down.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

I can tell you McVay would crap a brick and never even think of exposing Goff with those players.

hate to tell this, but Mannion is a backup as best, and in preseason backup quarterbacks always play with the backup offense, good ones can handle it, others can't. It's just that simple. I don't call the shots.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Have it your way Reeko

I'm curious to see what Mannion could do with the 1st team. Apparently you're not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So you want us to risk injury to key players to get our backup QB reps? I watched Bridgewater play with the Jets backups last night. He still looked good. Why? Because he's a starting caliber QB.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Have it your way Reeko

I'm curious to see what Mannion could do with the 1st team. Apparently you're not.
Why are you wanting Mannion to have it easier than all the other backup quarterbacks during g preseason? And why are you willing to risk getting our starters injured for a backup quarterback just to do something that no other team in the NFL does for its backups?

I'll have to give you credit BubbaBubba, you're sticking to your guns in your support of Mannion, and I admire that, even though I do think you're nuts. Either that or you've got a bromance with Mannion, your choice.:cool:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm crazy for wanting to see what a QB can do with starting material?

I'm crazy for wanting to know if our back up QB can have success with the ones?

McVay could very well have put Mannion with the 1st team in TC without any risk. He either didn't feel he needed to or didn't want to waste time doing it.

Whatever.

I'm crazy for wanting to see what a guy can do with the best available around him.

You're never going to change my mind that Mannion hasn't had a fair evaluation because he's never been evaluated with the best at hand.

You either get my point or refuse to acknowledge it.

I'm done with it.

From now on, refer to me as crzybubba:mrburnsevil: