FrantikRam's Post FA (for the Rams) mock with an eye on 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I'm hopeful the Rams will make at least one more addition, their track record has shown that the focus will be on a released veteran to ensure we get the maximum number of comp selections next year. With that in mind, myself (and others) have seemed stressed out over this year, and I've been even more stressed out about the following year - so for my next mock draft, I will outline what I think the Rams will do (which more than anything will put my own mind at ease) - because they showed us starting with McVay and Snead's first draft what their MO will be. Draft players with the intent of them starting the following year if possible.

Last FA signing: Justin Houston - 1 year $12 million - this is just a gut feeling, and the Rams would have to move money around to get it done, but they showed a willingness to do this last year.

Draft:

Trade: Rams trade round 1 pick to Giants for 2nd and 4th round picks - I think after the OBJ trade, the Giants will be looking to load up on talent with their first round picks - but will be hoping that Drew Lock makes it to this pick and will be ready to make this trade. He can sit a year while the rest of these picks grow with Eli.

Round 2 - Dalton Risner, G Kansas St. - will be the 6th OL this year and will take over at G next year with Noteboom kicks over to LT to replace Whitworth - provides great depth as he could start at G day one. Might even beat Blythe out depending on what kind of opportunity he gets, but could fill in at RT so I see him being the primary backup at LG, RG and RT

Round 3 - Khalen Saunders, DT Western Illinois - a guy that will rotate this year and depending on how Wade wants to use him, could take over at NT or DE for Brockers next year - needs better conditioning and working with AD will do wonders for him

Round 3 - D'Andre Walker, EDGE Georgia - a solid player that can rotate or sit and learn for a year in case we lose Fowler the following season

Round 4 - Hunter Renfrow, WR Clemson - just a McVay type of player I think

Round 4 - Justin Layne, CB MSU

Round 5 - Easton Stick, QB NDSU

Round 6 - Kendall Sheffield, CB OSU

Round 7 - Iman Marshall, CB USC

For the 6th and 7th round picks - our CB room will be Talib/Peters/NRC/Hill/Peterson/Layne before these selections - but as much as I've liked Hill, we've seen him and Peterson for a few years now and they don't seem to be starter material. Faced with losing both outside CBs next year, we bring in two great athletes and see if our coaches can mold them. Sheffield's injury doesn't sound serious, but if it is, we put him on the PUP or potentially IR and we have a guy for next year that we can have more time to evaluate.

I don't like having a rookie as a backup QB, but with our cap situation I'm not sure that we have a choice - veteran backup QBs cost around $8 million and we can't afford that right now.

Starters this year:

QB: Goff
RB: Gurley/Brown - with Brown getting 30% of the carries
WR: Cooks/Woods/Kupp
TE: Higbee/Everett
OL: Whitworth/Noteboom/Allen/Blythe/Havenstein - with Blythe or Allen potentially beat out by Risner
DL: Brockers/Saunders/Donald rotating with JFM/Brockers/Donald
DL 3rd down: Fowler/Houston/Donald/Ebukam or JFM
OLB: Fowler/Houston/Ebukam/Obo/Walker rotation
ILB: Littleton/Kiser - experiment in camp with Ebukam at ILB and see how it goes
LB 3rd down: Littleton/Christian
DB: Talib/Peters/Weddle/JJ
DB 3rd down: Talib/Peters/NRC/Weddle/JJ

2020:

Extend Goff, JJ, Littleton and Kupp
Franchise either Fowler or Peters - whichever one plays better - the other likely walks

After the above and the RFAs we will need to re-sign, we will likely have only $25 million in cap space - so about $15 million to spend in FA. In other words, this year is our new reality - so each draft, we will need to identify guys that can start the following year - Risner, Saunders, Walker and Layne are the guys I'd peg to start in 2020 or at least compete with other current backups. We will be fine at every position except CB and S (if Weddle doesn't play the 2nd year) - so between FA and the draft that year, I'd expect us to heavily invest in the secondary and add OL depth (again).

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
While I'm hopeful the Rams will make at least one more addition, their track record has shown that the focus will be on a released veteran to ensure we get the maximum number of comp selections next year. With that in mind, myself (and others) have seemed stressed out over this year, and I've been even more stressed out about the following year - so for my next mock draft, I will outline what I think the Rams will do (which more than anything will put my own mind at ease) - because they showed us starting with McVay and Snead's first draft what their MO will be. Draft players with the intent of them starting the following year if possible.

Last FA signing: Justin Houston - 1 year $12 million - this is just a gut feeling, and the Rams would have to move money around to get it done, but they showed a willingness to do this last year.

Draft:

Trade: Rams trade round 1 pick to Giants for 2nd and 4th round picks - I think after the OBJ trade, the Giants will be looking to load up on talent with their first round picks - but will be hoping that Drew Lock makes it to this pick and will be ready to make this trade. He can sit a year while the rest of these picks grow with Eli.

Round 2 - Dalton Risner, G Kansas St. - will be the 6th OL this year and will take over at G next year with Noteboom kicks over to LT to replace Whitworth - provides great depth as he could start at G day one. Might even beat Blythe out depending on what kind of opportunity he gets, but could fill in at RT so I see him being the primary backup at LG, RG and RT

Round 3 - Khalen Saunders, DT Western Illinois - a guy that will rotate this year and depending on how Wade wants to use him, could take over at NT or DE for Brockers next year - needs better conditioning and working with AD will do wonders for him

Round 3 - D'Andre Walker, EDGE Georgia - a solid player that can rotate or sit and learn for a year in case we lose Fowler the following season

Round 4 - Hunter Renfrow, WR Clemson - just a McVay type of player I think

Round 4 - Justin Layne, CB MSU

Round 5 - Easton Stick, QB NDSU

Round 6 - Kendall Sheffield, CB OSU

Round 7 - Iman Marshall, CB USC

For the 6th and 7th round picks - our CB room will be Talib/Peters/NRC/Hill/Peterson/Layne before these selections - but as much as I've liked Hill, we've seen him and Peterson for a few years now and they don't seem to be starter material. Faced with losing both outside CBs next year, we bring in two great athletes and see if our coaches can mold them. Sheffield's injury doesn't sound serious, but if it is, we put him on the PUP or potentially IR and we have a guy for next year that we can have more time to evaluate.

I don't like having a rookie as a backup QB, but with our cap situation I'm not sure that we have a choice - veteran backup QBs cost around $8 million and we can't afford that right now.

Starters this year:

QB: Goff
RB: Gurley/Brown - with Brown getting 30% of the carries
WR: Cooks/Woods/Kupp
TE: Higbee/Everett
OL: Whitworth/Noteboom/Allen/Blythe/Havenstein - with Blythe or Allen potentially beat out by Risner
DL: Brockers/Saunders/Donald rotating with JFM/Brockers/Donald
DL 3rd down: Fowler/Houston/Donald/Ebukam or JFM
OLB: Fowler/Houston/Ebukam/Obo/Walker rotation
ILB: Littleton/Kiser - experiment in camp with Ebukam at ILB and see how it goes
LB 3rd down: Littleton/Christian
DB: Talib/Peters/Weddle/JJ
DB 3rd down: Talib/Peters/NRC/Weddle/JJ

2020:

Extend Goff, JJ, Littleton and Kupp
Franchise either Fowler or Peters - whichever one plays better - the other likely walks

After the above and the RFAs we will need to re-sign, we will likely have only $25 million in cap space - so about $15 million to spend in FA. In other words, this year is our new reality - so each draft, we will need to identify guys that can start the following year - Risner, Saunders, Walker and Layne are the guys I'd peg to start in 2020 or at least compete with other current backups. We will be fine at every position except CB and S (if Weddle doesn't play the 2nd year) - so between FA and the draft that year, I'd expect us to heavily invest in the secondary and add OL depth (again).
I really like this draft. I love Risner, Saunders, and Layne. Don’t know much about the other guys since I don’t watch CF, but I would be really happy with this draft. The only thing I would change is picking a S instead of a second CB. They are both needs though so I think your draft works as well. Not a big fan of picking up Houston, but I get why people want him.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Every mock I see Riser from 15 to 25 not sure I see him making top of 2nd round. I like the pick I just see it based on a trade down.

I love the loading up on CBs, but we need to address the BU QB and it needs to be a pro with years experience not a newbie. Young QB will get killed.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno if Easton Stick makes it past the 3rd round.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A more likely possibility at OLine is center Garrett Bradberry. The Rams have shown interest and he could play Center for the next ten years for L.A. he is projected as a late 1st early 2nd. I'd worry about the Patriots picking him, but if they don't, then he's likely sitting there at the Giants pick. N.E. needs to replace Flowers, so that may be what they do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm generally with you on your mocks, Frantik, but this one isn't for me. I love Justin Layne, but I think the Combine has pushed him into the second round. I like Walker as an ILB, but not as an EDGE. I'm also not keen on using our first pick on an OL. Kromer has made a career out of finding and developing gems.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm generally with you on your mocks, Frantik, but this one isn't for me. I love Justin Layne, but I think the Combine has pushed him into the second round. I like Walker as an ILB, but not as an EDGE. I'm also not keen on using our first pick on an OL. Kromer has made a career out of finding and developing gems.

Fair.

I was stressing out about losing Saffold and needed to see something on paper to make me feel a little better, which is why I went OL with our first pick.