Franklin-Myers Primed for Development Under Wade Phillips

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Franklin-Myers-Primed-for-Development-Under-Wade-Phillips-/ace85e62-506b-4e6e-8fc6-301c721967e0

Franklin-Myers Primed for Development Under Wade Phillips
Posted 16 hours ago

When Stephen F. Austin’s John Franklin-Myers was drafted by the Rams, he knew he was coming onto a team with a stacked defensive line.

Not only will Franklin-Myers be joining a room that includes the reigning Defensive Player of the Year in Aaron Donald, but also other talented linemen like Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers.

However, the star-studded roster doesn't seem to phase the 2017 All-Southland Second Team selection.

“Obviously, they don’t need D-tackles right now,” Franklin admitted. “[But] I’m willing to go in there and do whatever it takes to win. Like I told [defensive line] coach Bill Johnson, I’ve played a little outside backer, dropped into coverage. I’ve played defensive end and I’ve played D-tackle."

And with that combination of versatility and talent, Franklin-Myers is poised to develop nicely under one of the top coordinators in the league in the Rams’ Wade Phillips. His impressive production last season — recording 13.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks — and standout measurables give Phillips two important aspects to look forward to.

“I like him because he’s 6-foot-4, 283 pounds and runs a 4.7 first,” Phillips said with a laugh. “But he’s a development guy, a develop-quickly guy it looked like to me.”

Phillips and the Rams staff got an up-close look at Franklin-Myers through the NFL Combine, where his overall performance and skill set impressed many. And with that in mind, Phillips was confident that the small school product would progress consistently throughout his first year in Los Angeles.

“We studied him a lot and he’s talented," Phillips said. “We think we can help him in the short term, but he’s got a ways to go to be at a level where he needs to be with his talents. So we’re looking forward to working with him.”

Ram65

Legend

First off he needs a short nickname or initials like JFrank or JFM.

“I like him because he’s 6-foot-4, 283 pounds and runs a 4.7 first,” Phillips said with a laugh. “But he’s a development guy, a develop-quickly guy it looked like to me.”

“We studied him a lot and he’s talented," Phillips said. “We think we can help him in the short term, but he’s got a ways to go to be at a level where he needs to be with his talents. So we’re looking forward to working with him.”

We've had a lot of speculation with JFM as to having him help off the edge. It will be interesting to see if the Rams keep him at the 283 weight this year to keep that speed and get his weight up next year. He could contribute as a rotational pass rusher. A know he said they told him 5 Tech. Either way I have a good feeling about him. Sounds like the Rams and Wade did their homework on him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
First off he needs a short nickname or initials like JFrank or JFM.

We've had a lot of speculation with JFM as to having him help off the edge. It will be interesting to see if the Rams keep him at the 283 weight this year to keep that speed and get his weight up next year. He could contribute as a rotational pass rusher. A know he said they told him 5 Tech. Either way I have a good feeling about him. Sounds like the Rams and Wade did their homework on him.

Guess we will just NR-C him to JF-M but that was hard enough just then has no flow to it.....

One would think that when the Rams run out the FOUR DL'ers in passing situations we might get a look see of JF-M on the strong side DE post. Rams need to be ready when Brockers departs after the 2019 season or if he gets injured again. I hope we don't screw with his development working him with the LB'er unit under coach Barry in 2018 then change up a year later in 2019 to work the DL under coach Johnson.:dizzy:

Ram65

Legend
Guess we will just NR-C him to JF-M but that was hard enough just then has no flow to it.....

One would think that when the Rams run out the FOUR DL'ers in passing situations we might get a look see of JF-M on the strong side DE post. Rams need to be ready when Brockers departs after the 2019 season or if he gets injured again. I hope we don't screw with his development working him with the LB'er unit under coach Barry in 2018 then change up a year later in 2019 to work the DL under coach Johnson.:dizzy:

I think he rushes as a down lineman not a LBer.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think he rushes as a down lineman not a LBer.
I agree fully here ....Rams already have a ton of very young LB'er prospects that will be here the next 3 to 4 seasons. The upcoming departure issue is in the DL not the LB'er unit.

Snead has (invested) drafted SEVEN LB'ers the last 2 drafts compared to only 3 DL'ers

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm pretty sure Snead was talking about Franklin to McVay in the latest Behind the Grind episode. They were in the Draft War Room and Snead was describing a player to McVay with upper body power. If Wade likes him, he's got something to him. That 4.7 speed is might intriguing though for a guy that size.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JoFry, I can't wait to see what Wade does with his "project".

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
FM... “Frequency”... hopefully a description of how often he’ll get to the QB.