Former Rams running back Jim Bertelsen dies at 71

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Former Rams running back Jim Bertelsen died this week at the age of 71, the University of Texas announced.

Bertelsen, a member of the Texas Hall of Honor, entered the NFL as a second-round choice of the Rams in 1972 after an illustrious career with the Longhorns. He spent five seasons in the NFL, all with the Rams.

Bertelsen had 123 carries for 581 yards and five touchdowns as a rookie, while adding 331 receiving yards and an additional score.

In 1973, Bertelsen earned his only Pro Bowl nod with 1,121 yards from scrimmage and five touchdowns.

He finished his career with 2,466 yards and 16 touchdowns rushing and 1,014 yards and two scores receiving.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some great memories of Bertelsen as he also returned punts for the Rams back then. I do recall a fumble in the playoff game against Dallas in 1973, but a tough nosed true fullback that ran with conviction and could catch the ball well too. RIP #45, it was a pleasure to watch you play this great game.

1620570755419.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This one saddened me too.

Drafted in 1972 when Tommy Prothro was the Head Coach. Prothro had a good eye for talent and a lot of the Rams' foundation players of the 1970s came in during Prothro's two seasons.

Lawrence McCutcheon was also in the 1972 Draft but didn't see action until Chuck Knox's first season in 1973.

Even though the Rams lost to Dallas in the Playoffs, that was a great season because so little was expected. 6-7-1 in 1972. New coach many fans did not know, Roman Gabriel traded-away, lots of new players, new uniforms ... 12-2 season, with a tremendous defense, the best running game in the NFL (McCutcheon, Bertelsen and "Touchdown" Tony Baker) and the NFC POY at QB (John Hadl).

In a couple years, John Cappelletti and Cullen Bryant pretty much replaced Beterlsen but he was a solid contributor on a few excellent teams.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This one saddened me too.

Drafted in 1972 when Tommy Prothro was the Head Coach. Prothro had a good eye for talent and a lot of the Rams' foundation players of the 1970s came in during Prothro's two seasons.

Lawrence McCutcheon was also in the 1972 Draft but didn't see action until Chuck Knox's first season in 1973.

Very True about Tommy Prothro, he should have been a General Manager and not a Head Coach and because of his success as a talent evaluator with the Los Angeles Rams, he was able to secure the gig as Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers in 1974.

Ironically back then, I just thought every former Ram Head Coach went onto San Diego like Sid Gillman, Harland Svare and Tommy Prothro.

1620577887131.png

Attachments

• 1620577768351.png
    1620577768351.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1620577819074.png
    1620577819074.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 40

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Ironically back then, I just thought every former Ram Head Coach went onto San Diego like Sid Gillman, Harland Svare and Tommy Prothro.
And many former Rams' players ... Deacon Jones, Coy Bacon, Bob Thomas, Pat Curran, Bob Klein and one the Rams let get away because they were so loaded with DL-talent ... big Leroy Jones.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some great memories of Bertelsen as he also returned punts for the Rams back then. I do recall a fumble in the playoff game against Dallas in 1973, but a tough nosed true fullback that ran with conviction and could catch the ball well too. RIP #45, it was a pleasure to watch you play this great game.

View attachment 45356
den, not sure if Bertelsen was a Fullback. Actually if I recall correctly (and there's every chance I do not) he and Laurence McCutcheon both were more halfbacks than anything else. Our Fullback back then was "Touchdown" Tony Baker. And what a load he was...... heh....nobody wanted to tackle him because HE would dish out the pain!!

At any rate again IIRC J. Bertelsen's career was cut short by knee injuries.

Anybody that has any more info on this fallen Ram please post it and share it.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
den, not sure if Bertelsen was a Fullback. Actually if I recall correctly (and there's every chance I do not) he and Laurence McCutcheon both were more halfbacks than anything else. Our Fullback back then was "Touchdown" Tony Baker. And what a load he was...... heh....nobody wanted to tackle him because HE would dish out the pain!!

At any rate again IIRC J. Bertelsen's career was cut short by knee injuries.

Anybody that has any more info on this fallen Ram please post it and share it.

~ArkyRamsFan~
My memory (which I admit is not great) is that Baker was a short yardage / goal-line back; and he was definitely a load.

Bertelsen and McCutcheon started in 1973 and 1974 but back then, it was mostly split-back-sets and not I-back-formations. Lots of trap plays in the running game. Bertelsen was designated the fullback, as were Cappelletti and Bryant who succeeded him.

Now, if I can just remember where I put my pants.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ah man, one of my favorites.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wish I could've seen him play, but from what it looks like, he was a good running back amongst many in our history. Rest in peace.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He was a hard nosed player and I respected his toughness.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember watching him as a Texas Longhorn back in the day. He played Half back in Darrel Royal's Wishbone. He was teamed with James Street and Ted Koy and Steve Worster. Big part of me misses that style of football. Especially "Woo Woo" Worster who just ran over people.
That was back when every football team tried to establish the run before unleashing the forward pass.

Heh, I still remember Coach Royal's famous quote that went something like, "There are three things that can happen when you drop back to pass, and 2 of 'em are bad." Lol good times!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall

View attachment 45356

If you're referring to the fumble on the RAMS second offensive play of the game, that was McCutcheon that got stripped. After Hadl got picked on the first snap. Nightmare start that they seemed on the verge of overcoming when Steve Preece tried to play a deep throw as though he were fielding a punt.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
I remember watching him as a Texas Longhorn back in the day. He played Half back in Darrel Royal's Wishbone. He was teamed with James Street and Ted Koy and Steve Worster. Big part of me misses that style of football. Especially "Woo Woo" Worster who just ran over people.
That was back when every football team tried to establish the run before unleashing the forward pass.

Heh, I still remember Coach Royal's famous quote that went something like, "There are three things that can happen when you drop back to pass, and 2 of 'em are bad." Lol good times!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

Coach Royal was quoted as saying Bertelsen was the most complete player he ever coached.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
My memory (which I admit is not great) is that Baker was a short yardage / goal-line back; and he was definitely a load.

Bertelsen and McCutcheon started in 1973 and 1974 but back then, it was mostly split-back-sets and not I-back-formations. Lots of trap plays in the running game. Bertelsen was designated the fullback, as were Cappelletti and Bryant who succeeded him.

Now, if I can just remember where I put my pants.

When the RAMS ran from the I formation, Bertelsen was the tailback behind McCutcheon.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When the RAMS ran from the I formation, Bertelsen was the tailback behind McCutcheon.
I have no memory of that but I will gladly accept the memory of a poster with a photo of Steve Preece holding for a David Ray kick.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you're referring to the fumble on the RAMS second offensive play of the game, that was McCutcheon that got stripped. After Hadl got picked on the first snap. Nightmare start that they seemed on the verge of overcoming when Steve Preece tried to play a deep throw as though he were fielding a punt.

You're right in that game the Rams had three turnovers, McCutcheon (Fumble), Hadl (Fumble) & Hadl (interception) the game Bertelsen fumbled was the regular season game in October of that year.