Former GM Casserly: What to look for in HC candidates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Not sure I buy that the Jags are a more attractive opportunity for a head coach than the Rams are.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No way is the Jags job more attractive to anyone except Tom Couglin.

That video is exhibit 64368 why I don't listen to Charlie Casserly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant play the feed, but if there is a suggestion that Jacksonville is a better spot than the Rams, I'm not missing anything...
All the cap room in the world and they don't spend it.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
His number 1 criteria should be a head coach that doesn't hire himself as a GM.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Another...
puffer-fish.jpg

who is wrong 97% of the time. The other 3% is by pure luck!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure I buy that the Jags are a more attractive opportunity for a head coach than the Rams are.

No way is the Jags job more attractive to anyone
Check their roster out....Bunch of young talent on both sides of the ball....

http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster.html
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/jax/jacksonville-jaguars

QB, WR1, WR2, WR3, TE,
DL, DE, LB, LB, FS, CB, CB

Not sure about the OL talent...look to be in the same boat as us...bad, high picked LT and a bunch of others...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Short of the Jags being a dominant, perennial winner that had a successful coach retire and leave the cupboards loaded and the draft boards stuffed with picks...

No. LA is and always will be the better job for a thousand reasons. It would be different if we had a meddling owner or a cheap owner or had no prospects in a decent facility. None of that is true.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No. LA is and always will be the better job for a thousand reasons.
Never been to Jacksonville...Orlando..Miami...Coconut Grove...but it can't be that bad. The Jags have a serious roster...That should be all the incentive needed to go to the Jags. And, I hear the weather is awesome in Florida, Mac.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I live south of Tampa, so I know.

Point being that rosters change so much so fast in the NFL that picking a team for the roster is foolhardy.

ninedeuce

Rookie
I, along with most on here are obviously biased towards the Rams and feel that it's the better job. However, after taking a closer look, the Jacksonville job isn't too far behind.

The biggest asset to consider would be the QB's. I would favor Goff over Bortles at this point. Bortles has regressed considerably after showing promise while Goff is still an unknown. I wouldn't think there would be much difference in arm talent but Goff is 2 years younger. The Jaguars' GM has recently said that the new coach wouldn't be forced to make it work with Bortles so they may wind up having to find a new QB but they also have a likely top 3 draft pick. This might be even depending on how a candidate feels about Goff.

I'll give a slight edge to the Jacksonville O-Line because of pass protection. Neither team can run block for crap.

Gurley is way better than anyone they have. Robinson, Hearns, Lee and Julius Thomas vs. Britt, Quick, Tavon and Kendricks, you do the math.

As for the defenses, both are young and talented. The Jaguar defense is currently ranked #7 overall. We have the best punter in the league.

Then you have the cities themselves, LA vs. Jacksonville. Would the coach be a "star" type comfortable with the limelight. I personally love living here in So Cal but it ain't for everyone. Plus living in Florida isn't too shabby either. I don't know what the media scrutiny is like in Jacksonville but Fisher was eaten alive here in LA. I've heard on the radio that Gruden and his family are moving to So Cal (regardless of coaching job) and Asshole Face has a daughter that attends one of the local universities so those maybe factors as well.

Might just come down to $$$. Stan has more than Kahn but as many athletes have pointed out, there are no state income taxes in Florida.

Last edited: