Forest now over Trees

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Three years ago, the Rams were largely devoid of talent. Only ten of the Pre-Fisher Era have thus far remained with the squad. Last year, about a quarter of the team was comprised by players who were at one time UDFAs 16, another approx quarter were FA signees 13, and half were draftees 29. (I included those on PS and IR).

With continuity in the Coaching Staff mostly intact, a relatively small personnel turnover expected, and a youthful team finally seasoned in repeating systems, attention in this offseason will be less about planting a forest than about acquiring a handful of trees that will fit the established ecosystem.

With that in mind, here are my offseason predictions:

Shaun Hill will be retained as the veteran insurance in case Bradford gets re injured. The third, developmental QB will be drafted in this statuesque, drop back passer mode because the team's identity has been established as a running/play action offense with a gambling/athletic pressure defense.

The highest priced FA will be a YOUNG, but veteran interior lineman. While I fully expect a high and low OL draft pick, there will be no Robinson like projects starting in 2015. Remember, for every Zack Martin and Joel Bitonio - there's always a few like Matthews, Fisher, DeCastro and Cooper that take time to pan out no matter how "pro-ready" the scouts claim they are.

One of the highest draft picks will be a LB who can move from SAM to MIKE. Last year, the Rams had Donald listed just above Martin and Mosley. Boy, did they nail that evaluation! This draft will not be as much BPA as in year's past. Contrary to what I regularly read here, LB is the least talented and deep position on the team (and that includes QB and WR). JL is not a top 10 MLB, but he is durable and smart and losing him would have a Bradford-like impact on the D. If I was a defensive minded HC, I'd be grooming his super athletic replacement yesterday. This move on defense would be like Rodgers being drafted to replace Favre. The only difference being a guy like Mosley could've taken reps from Dunbar and ensured Ogletree would've worked into shape earlier than he did last year.

I also believe that in spite of all the love they have in Harkey (for good reason), one offensive Must-Have is a premier in-line TE like they haven't had since Ernie Conwell. In order to be a top notch play action team, this player has to be able to block like an OT AND run above average routes.

I realize that if the Rams fell into a lock-down corner, a Winston dropping close to their spot, or a Donald-like DE appearing at 10, this plan could alter, but even then I would personally stick to this plan.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I agree with your assessment @leoram our LB situation even with the triple safety packages being all the rage is dire. I though am starting to believe it is time for sound and fundamental football players that have played the sport for years over the Athletic freaks that are usually newer to the sport and take time to develop. We have plenty of athletes I am still waiting for A.O to learn to disengage he is often taken out of plays by RB's, and TE's forget it. lets get some football players and finish this team.
Nice write up

iced

Yea this team needs LB depth - but there are also positions (like 3/5 of the O-line) that don't have any starters either