Florida's State Bird: Time for a Change!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Since 1927, Florida's state bird has been the Northern Mockingbird.

Nothing against the Northern Mockingbird, which is a feisty member of the passerines, but it just has never said Florida for me.

In fact, its the state bird of 5 states (Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas being the others).

There is currently a movement to change to a new bird. Among the nominees are the American Flamingo, Osprey and Roseate Spoonbill.

My personal choice is the Florida Scrub Jay. Why? Because its the only species that is endemic to Florida. Plus, its a cool bird that, if you know where to find them, likes to interact with people (often landing on your arm or head if you are still). I went out to find some this morning, and got some great shots. So, without further adieu, I give you my nominee for the next State Bird of Florida, the Florida Scrub Jay!
SJ2.jpg
sj1.jpg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
IDK, when I think Florida birds I picture pelicans and egrets.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Nice shots.

I didn't take this pic.

I nominate the Florida Sandhill Crane. These fuckers literally think they own everything. They straight up walk across the road slowly and make you wait for them to cross. They are boss.

bird-blog-4.png

Tano

Legend
I nominate the Cuckoo because there are so many nuts in that state

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Jay is the most obnoxious bird in the world while camping. Squaking day and night and getting into your gear. Not only that but they are in virtually every state.

I would think you could find a bird that really says FL.

Just my take of course and maybe the one you nominated is slightly different than the birds in other states.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Jay is the most obnoxious bird in the world while camping. Squaking day and night and getting into your gear. Not only that but they are in virtually every state.

I would think you could find a bird that really says FL.

Just my take of course and maybe the one you nominated is slightly different than the birds in other states.
You’re thinking of the blue Jay. Different bird.
E49DFB2B-23BB-4B9E-BB2A-D02BDCCFB248.jpeg

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How different though?:biggrin:
Entirely different species. The Blue Jay, as you noted, is a ubiquitous species found throughout North America. The Florida Scub Jay, by contrast, is endemic to Florida, meaning this is the only state where it is found. Hence, its appeal as a nominee for the new state bird of Florida.

In case anyone was wondering, by the way, California's state bird is the California Quail.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like the idea of the scrub Jay as Florida’s state bird Most other birds mentioned are migratory.